• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Are Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Are Back

Buffet is coming back on Carnival ships. What do you think.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/..._Member_Newsub

They are already back at at least one carvery chain in the UK help your self to veg etc.

People using the same tools to serve themselves is not a problem that needs fixing.

Comment

I think the buffets should be service by the crew only, behind perspex screens like they were planning on. Much more hygienic. It would likely save a few Norovirus outbreaks too. Not sure I would want to pick up the tongs again after everyone in the queue has handled them even if they have supposedly washed their hands.

As for the carvery chain - not for me.

Comment

Does it really matter who has touched anything on the ship?

Thousands of contact points.... You can't avoid them all.

If your own hygiene standards are up to scratch you protect yourself whatever you do wherever you go.

Comment

What about all those past passengers that have picked up Norovirus? In the past, I have watched numerous passengers walk past the hand gel station and not bother. Other passengers have seen people walk out the toilet not washing their hands, though I must admit, I haven't.

As for touch points I am very choosy who touches food that I eat.

Comment

Chairs, tables, glasses, stair rails, door handles, railings, the list is endless. Holding the same tongs as someone else will make no difference. As TD says ptotect yourself, or walk round and disinfect the whole ship.

Comment

You shouldn't have to protect yourselves if everyone was tested before embarkation and they haven't been ashore since.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                You shouldn't have to protect yourselves if everyone was tested before embarkation and they haven't been ashore since.

Garf
                The whole idea of a cruise is that you do go ashore and come back on ship.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                  I think the buffets should be service by the crew only, behind perspex screens like they were planning on. Much more hygienic. It would likely save a few Norovirus outbreaks too. Not sure I would want to pick up the tongs again after everyone in the queue has handled them even if they have supposedly washed their hands.

As for the carvery chain - not for me.
                  That's easily fixed.
                  I always use my own cutlery to pick up buffet food and have done for years after seeing the unhealthy hygiene of one lady many years ago. If she could sneeze into the hand which held the serving implement, so could hundreds of others!

I quite like the idea of perspex screens though, with a small window from which to help yourself.

Comment

Using one's own cutlery is a good idea. I much prefer to serve myself as I know almost exactly how much I want to eat, and when served by crew they always give me far too much and I simply can't eat it all, and I hate waste.

Comment

I wouldn't have any problem with a self serve buffet, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it was staff service only. You can always ask for more or less to suit.

Comment

Using your own cutlery at every station increases risk of cross contamination of allergens.

Just think in the dining room your waiter is handling plates and cutlery from all the tables after use then heads of to the galley to get your next plate of food.

They will replenish your cutlery from their station after removing used from other tables as well(unless on a ship that fully loads the place setting).

Same with drinks and bar staff not just on ships but everywhere you go.

For the ultra cautious we got 1000 of these cheap enough to carry around for single use < 1p each
                        I used for any dirty job I don't need them to be too tough.
                        make cheap dog poo bags.

2000 £12.99 0.65p each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-.../dp/B07GTLTP9H

​​​​​​​I think they are large packs you can get them in packs of 100 which will fit in a pocket.
                        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-.../dp/B00OBBSHO0

Comment

Hi all
                          If you can’t serve yourself surely it’s not a buffet.
                          So what are the suggested names for these food providing venues?

How about the Oceanview Food Dispensary?

Any suggestions?
                          JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi all
                            If you can’t serve yourself surely it’s not a buffet.
                            So what are the suggested names for these food providing venues?

How about the Oceanview Food Dispensary?

Any suggestions?
                            JC
                            Assisted Buffet? Is the term used in the hospitality industry.

Comment

I’ve seen too many people ignoring the hand sanitisers when entering the buffet area. I’ve also seen them handling bread rolls and then putting them back in the basket!

No way am I touching the same tongs that god knows how many people have used before me. Instead I use a clean set of cutlery to serve myself.

The best buffets are on Oceania ships where a superb layout is served to you by the staff behind the counters. Very efficient and hygienic.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X