• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marco Polo scrapped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marco Polo scrapped

There have been various rumours about her being scrapped and also being available for charter .
    Word from the ship itself is that she has been ordered to Alang.Sad to see a classic liner go.

Yes indeed. If a classic car was scrapped there'd be an outcry, but a classic liner, no.

Comment

The word on the net is that the Marco Polo will be scrapped at Alang, India, on 12 January. Tragic!

I know that some people think that she is a rusty old tub, built in 1965, but many Brits have also enjoyed an 'affordable' cruise on-board of her.

Here is a slide-show: https://youtu.be/NSYXbBYHpY8

See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Very sad. We loved Marco Polo. This ship had character and was the opposite of the floating tower blocks they were building more of. Such a shame CMV folded after being unable to cope with the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Comment

We did a Christmas cruise on her a few years ago and to be fair , for £1,000 pp. it was great value. The bonus was that the cruise director of entertainment was a guy called Richard Sykes, imo .the best entertainment host at sea..

Comment

Originally posted by cruisewidower, pontefract View Post
            We did a Christmas cruise on her a few years ago and to be fair , for £1,000 pp. it was great value. The bonus was that the cruise director of entertainment was a guy called Richard Sykes, imo .the best entertainment host at sea..
            I agree with you there. Richard stepped in on our South American cruise on Boudicca in 2017. The CD on that cruise had to go home after a couple of weeks (actually he was sent home). We were so lucky to get Richard who was an amazing CD and also a great entertainer.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
              Very sad. We loved Marco Polo. This ship had character and was the opposite of the floating tower blocks they were building more of. Such a shame CMV folded after being unable to cope with the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic.
              I think CMV in reality just parked the functional assets in a holding company wiping out existing debts waiting for cruises to restart.

They did not own much as they were mainly operational and sales.

There will be ships they can charter after a phoenix.
              Possibly the same ones they were using before.

Comment

Marco Polo.jpg
                www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                  Did you take that photo W? Where is she beached?
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Did you take that photo W? Where is she beached?
                    Weston Super Mare beach...... 😉

Actually its Alang, India 🙃
                    www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

Weston Super Mare beach...... 😉

Actually its Alang, India 🙃
                      Somehow I didn't think she would be on Weston Super Mud (as you have been known to call it).
                      Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X