• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilbury Ship Lay-ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilbury Ship Lay-ups

Tilbury has probably never seen so many cruise ships at once!

There are currently five cruise ships laid-up at Tilbury docks and the London Cruise Terminal, Tilbury, U.K., my local port. This is of course as a result of the Coronavirus crisis.

Spirit of Discovery (Saga), Astoria, (CMV), Saga Sapphire (Saga Cruises), Viking Star (Viking ocean cruises) are berthed in Tilbury dock. Magellan (CMV) is docked at the cruise terminal (on the River).

Cruise & Maritime Voyages have said that their Vasco De Gama and Columbus are set to join Magellan.

I had to go shopping and the supermarket is near the Cruise Terminal, so I had a quick look. (Don't worry there was hardly another sole present!)

I saw Magellan looking rather peaceful - no crew visible, no passengers (of course) no supplies being loaded etc. (Although I believe the crews are all staying onboard. I wonder if they are allowed to get off?)

Anyone got a CMV cruise booked for later this year?

Slide-show: https://youtu.be/qxAmJPk0kbo

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 29th March 2020, 09:47 AM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

I wonder how long they will be there? Could be quite a while .................................................. .........Carol

Comment

This was a few days ago in Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcHcuNXsFHI

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        I wonder how long they will be there? Could be quite a while .................................................. .........Carol
        Sadly Carol, I think you are right, lock down until June and social distancing regulations until Autumn is being mooted in today's papers, I think 2020 will be pretty much a write off for cruises, sport, theatre etc.

Lets hope it works and we can all come through this and start again in 2021

John

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          This was a few days ago in Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcHcuNXsFHI
          That is an awful lot of cash tied up there doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
            Tilbury has probably never seen so many cruise ships at once!

Anyone got a CMV cruise booked for later this year?

Slide-show: https://youtu.be/qxAmJPk0kbo
            We are booked on Columbus in October.. I guess its beginning to look iffy.

Comment

You have to wonder what sort of cruise industry will emerge from this. I think there will be an awful lot of politics, both national and local, involved in the re opening of ports to cruise traffic and it will take longer for cruising to return to normality than it will for most other industries.
              Logic will get you from A to B.
              Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Columbus is on her way to Tilburg but Vasco Da Gama is in Freementle with no current plans for her to return.She was due back to Germany but things have changed.She was on the way back to Tilbury and Columbus was on a world cruise when the lockdown started. Both ships met at anchorage off Phuket as they were not allowed to dock.
                English passengers on Vasco were transferred to Columbus and Australian passengers on Columbus were transferred to Vasco.No mean feat by tender including luggage!

Comment

Not expecting any sensible cruises rest of this year.

​​​​​

Comment

Vasco is now reported to be planning to sail back just with some crew on board, due in May.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X