• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad News: Diamond Princess Fatalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad News: Diamond Princess Fatalities

Hi All

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...blic-criticism

Hopefully there will be no more news like this.

Annie

Awfully sad. No one expects their cruise to end in that way
    Past cruises:
    Carnival Conquest October 2002
    Independence of the Seas October 2012
    Independence of the Seas May 2014
    Explorer of the Seas June 2015
    Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Terrible news. Met a Chinese family on a small sailing boat charter in Fort Lauderdale yesterday. They’ve been in the States for a month and can’t get back home at the moment. Lovely family.

Comment

We have longer spells on Victoria, than most and we occasionally see an ambulance on the quayside, waiting for a disembarked passenger. Apart from ship's gossip, we never find out what the passenger is suffering from or how the passenger is, due to privacy laws, so one can speculate ''has a compromised immune system caught Noro/chest infection which leads to pneumonia and death or a fall has necessitated a hospital stay?''...we never/rarely find out from ship's company although occasionally, someone, a passenger, ''in the know'' passes on the information.

In this instance, it IS sad news, most definitely but, it's sad news for any passengers who pass away on or having been disembarked, from any cruise. The difference being here, privacy laws haven't prevented the world knowing what's going on.

Comment

This is sad news indeed. Those two people boarded the ship, I’m guessing ‘hale and hearty’, looking forward to a wonderful holiday but sadly never made it home. My thoughts are with their family.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
            This is sad news indeed. Those two people boarded the ship, I’m guessing ‘hale and hearty’, looking forward to a wonderful holiday but sadly never made it home. My thoughts are with their family.
            It doesn't make it any easier for their family and friends but they are reported as being in their 80's with underlying health issues.

Not making the situation any easier for anyone are the "experts" now crawling out of the woodwork saying the passengers should never have been quarantined on the ship in the first place. No solution as to what they should have done with 5,000 passengers and crew, no details of suitable isolation facility's lying empty with the capacity and staff just waiting for such a crisis. Just criticism of the Japanese authority's, the ship's staff and Princess Cruises handling of the situation.

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing.

Comment

It is reported/estimated that three people on average die on cruise ships due to age and/or underlying health problems every week of the year.

As an early riser I have lost count of the number of times I have witnessed ambulances off loading passengers, dead or alive in any number of ports.

On the forum cruise last year, which was only three nights, I witnessed a 'private ambulance' (transit van) pull up along side the ship.in convoy with a hearse..............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                It doesn't make it any easier for their family and friends but they are reported as being in their 80's with underlying health issues.

Not making the situation any easier for anyone are the "experts" now crawling out of the woodwork saying the passengers should never have been quarantined on the ship in the first place. No solution as to what they should have done with 5,000 passengers and crew, no details of suitable isolation facility's lying empty with the capacity and staff just waiting for such a crisis. Just criticism of the Japanese authority's, the ship's staff and Princess Cruises handling of the situation.

John

I agree with everything you have said, some of the comments on the other site are crazy

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

I have been thinking the same for a while.
                  The number of conflicting opinions from the experts and then of course, the armchair experts [ so much ''knowledge'' to share with the medical profession ] who pitch in with their two pennyworth and now, the experience hindsight is bringing makes me think this situation was/is so different from anything else experienced, no-one should be criticized for trying their best... and I Include all the governments who waited before organising flights home for their citizens, and again, I include the UK in that.

No one can do right, for wrong!

Comment

Breaking news on BBC on line.

Four of the cruise ship passengers brought to UK test positive for coronavirus, bringing number of UK cases to 13
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X