• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Far East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Far East

Recently, I received a "Bucket List" brochure. Approximately 75% of the cruises on offer were for the Far East including China, Vietnam and Japan.

Given the fact that people aren't even going to Chinatown in London, I can't help wondering if the major cruise lines have shot themselves in the foot by chasing Chinese pax., and promoting Far East cruises.

Anyone thinking of booking one of these?

Stewart

We have twice tried to visit China, should be going next month and in fairness to Viking they acted swiftly and correctly to cancel and refund, so China is now off any future plans, as are many other areas you mention having travelled reasonably frequently in that part of the world.

Comment

As a huge lover of the area, we are are thinking of hopping over to S.E.Asia later in the year for a visit to friends. At the moment, that's still a possibility. A lot can happen in nine months. We'll wait and see how ''things'' develop.

Comment

Another lover of the Far East here, albeit China and Japan have never figured in my 'To Do' list, and probably never will.

I'm betting this will be old news in a few months time, based on the SARS, Swine Flu and Bird Flu epidemics of the last decade or so.............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I have visited all 3 countries and hope to return to Jaoan next year. However it will be a repeat of my land trip and extended.

Annie

Comment

No one could have predicted this outbreak.Chasing the Chinese market is not something limited to cruise companies.Companies will chase potential profits and also its about offering customers choice.
            Some have chosen to base ships there ,others just for certain seasons,guess it's slightly trickier for those basing ships there, although redeployment is always feasible.
            I'm sure after a period at least some of the tonnage will return.

Comment

The Far East has never been in our list. Alan worked there when China was still a closed country and has no desire to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                The Far East has never been in our list. Alan worked there when China was still a closed country and has no desire to go back.
                Never been on my radar tbh especially now. I’ll stick to the Caribbean. It’s safer........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Never been on my radar tbh especially now. I’ll stick to the Caribbean. It’s safer........for now.
                  Asia, especially S.E. Asia, is a wonderful part of the world. So interesting and diverse...and a teeny bit unhealthy at the moment but it'll pass. I think a cruise [try not to go on one specifically aimed at the Chinese market] is a marvellous way of having a taster of the region but still having the ship with the flavour of ''home'', to go back to each day.

Might be some attractive pricing around too, to tempt!

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

You do surprise me.

The Far East is safer than the Caribbean - JMO - and I speak as an older solo female traveller.

What was the virus scare in the Caribbean area recently?? Oh yes the Zika virus.

Annie

Comment

There always seems to be something "new" going around, Mers/Sars/Ebola ....... It may be worth the £600 loss of the OP for peace of mind alone, he could be worrying about every cough or sneeze, even if innocent. It would ruin his cruise fretting.

Comment

Far East has always been on my bucket list but sadly not hubbys. 😢😢 if I could persuade him to travel that far I wouldn’t be put off. As my daddy used to say ‘just go for it as you could get knocked down crossing the street’.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by alandrover, beccles View Post
                          There always seems to be something "new" going around, Mers/Sars/Ebola ....... It may be worth the £600 loss of the OP for peace of mind alone, he could be worrying about every cough or sneeze, even if innocent. It would ruin his cruise fretting.
                          Idiot, I replied to the wrong thread. Apologies for any confusion.

Comment

Hong Kong is the top of our bucket list. The only way we will ever get there is on a World cruise. As I’ve said previously we’d have been devastated to be on a current world cruise and prevented from docking there.
                            I too had a Far East bucket list brochure from cruise dot last week and it did make me wonder their thinking at this exact time.
                            Past cruises:
                            Carnival Conquest October 2002
                            Independence of the Seas October 2012
                            Independence of the Seas May 2014
                            Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                            Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

We both enjoy travel in Asia and while we will probably not return to China, having spent three holidays (two non cruise) there, we hope to return to Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia while we can still handle the long flights. If there are bargains available we will cruise, with land extensions, but if not we will tour independently. I suspect that while corona virus is worrying right now, a few months down the line the panic will have died down.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X