• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Hi All

Trump is sending 2 planes.

The Italians are evacuating their nationals.

What should the UK do bearing in mind that the initial quarantine period ends Wednesday??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51519687

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th February 2020, 11:23 AM.

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51568058

Leave a comment:

• tdb, Brentwood
    commented on 's reply
    Well said Mr Hayworth! Good to hear this view from a decent British citizen. UK ‘government’ has obligations to provide reasonable assistance - all paid for by all taxpayers in the U.K. - to its citizens when, through no or very little fault of their own, they find themselves in deeply distressing circumstances overseas.

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

We did bring UK citizens back fro Wuhan, the only way these people will get home in the immediate future will be on a chartered flight where they will be on their own and upon return to the UK will go into quarantine, I don't see nay alternative, its time we stepped up to help like the US, Canadian and Australian Governments have done.
    An update:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51555299

Annie

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Sounds as though the USA may have imported the virus?
    I hope not.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Sounds as though the USA may have imported the virus?

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    The Travel Agents who packaged deals are having issues with the airlines it has been reported:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...rlines-on-fees

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

It is not the job of the Prime Minister to micro manage every problem British citizens have in the world. The Prime Minister leads and directs.

In this case he has a Foreign Secretary and a Secretary of State for Health who would be handling the issues. In fact there is still some doubt as to whether we should bring them back at the moment and possibly risk the virus spreading in this country.
    We did bring UK citizens back fro Wuhan, the only way these people will get home in the immediate future will be on a chartered flight where they will be on their own and upon return to the UK will go into quarantine, I don't see nay alternative, its time we stepped up to help like the US, Canadian and Australian Governments have done.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Originally posted by tdb, Brentwood View Post
    “BOJO”? It should be “BOJJAH” (as in ‘bodger’)!
    It is not the job of the Prime Minister to micro manage every problem British citizens have in the world. The Prime Minister leads and directs.

In this case he has a Foreign Secretary and a Secretary of State for Health who would be handling the issues. In fact there is still some doubt as to whether we should bring them back at the moment and possibly risk the virus spreading in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Sorry you can’t understand and must thus dismiss the real point! However you reach it with mixed pronunciation, ‘Boe Joe’ (BoJo) is inappropriate. His Christian name is pronounced as if we’re spelt Borriss: his surname is not pronounced as Joannson. THE point is that ‘Bojjah’ is so close to ‘Bodger’ - which many can see he is!
    Oh I understood perfectly well what you were trying so hard to do and yes, Bojjah could be said to be close to Bodger but where ''jjjah'' is linked to Johnson, I have no idea.
    I chose to ignore as your crack at phonetic similarity was off the mark. I think ''good try but no cigar'' would describe the attempt.

I am perfectly aware, as you will have read how Boris Johnson is ''sounded out'' and you will also see I agree, Bo[h]Jo[h] or as you say BoeJoe does not match the actual phonics of his name but, you know what the press are like. Why let a little matter of phonics get in the way of using anything remotely ''catchy''.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Where is the plane ?

Or is the new Chancellor hoping the UK nationals can use the tickets paid by Princess?? However which commercial carrier will fly them??

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 19th February 2020, 06:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tdb, Brentwood
    replied
    Sorry you can’t understand and must thus dismiss the real point! However you reach it with mixed pronunciation, ‘Boe Joe’ (BoJo) is inappropriate. His Christian name is pronounced as if we’re spelt Borriss: his surname is not pronounced as Joannson. THE point is that ‘Bojjah’ is so close to ‘Bodger’ - which many can see he is!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    His name is pronounced Boh-Riss John-Son not Bow-Riss Joan-Son and a ‘bodger’ is a person ‘who makes or repairs things clumsily’.
    Ah.
    Well ignoring your bodger comment, if I were a pedant [who, moi?] , Boh is pronounced ''Boa'' as in boat so I would say Boris' Christian name is more the short ''o'' as in hop rather than oh and so it would be Bo -riss or, surprise surprise Bo-ris

Johnson would be Jon [cvc with the v being the short ''o'' again] and in reality, Sun, [again, cvc but utilising the ''u'' and not the short ''o''].

Neither of which of course could accurately be said to be Bo[h]Jo[h] but then the Ho[h] Ho[h] buses I use when sightseeing have the same problem. What a complicated world we live in when we investigate the English language!!

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6133257274001#sp=show-clips

Annie

Leave a comment:

• tdb, Brentwood
    replied
    His name is pronounced Boh-Riss John-Son not Bow-Riss Joan-Son and a ‘bodger’ is a person ‘who makes or repairs things clumsily’.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X