• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Mrs M. Most of those who post here are experienced travellers who understand the need for good insurance. I generally have little sympathy with those who are not adequately insured but in this case it is such an unusual and unexpected event with a severe impact that I think governments should step in. In the overall amount of money spent by governments, the cost of a flight for a few hundred passengers is minimal. However, if a passenger has their flight paid from another source that amount should be clawed back - they shouldn’t make a profit!
    I purposely used the word ''premium'' and not insurance. Insurance did not figure in my post.

Comment

I’d much rather pay for this flight than travel for some of the useless freeloading Royals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I purposely used the word ''premium'' and not insurance. Insurance did not figure in my post.
        I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I am not sure what you mean by premium.

Comment

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I am not sure what you mean by premium.
          There have been many posts on this subject in the past. Some pay for a cruise and then obtain the cheapest flights from, say, a consolidator. Don't tun up for those flight/ flights are re timed etc etc and you're on your own.
          Some pay for their flights through their cruise company to enjoy the protection that gives and those flights more often than not, have a premium added e.g, they're more expensive than the consolidator. Depending on the flight and destination, we can be talking hundreds of pounds for two air fares. That's what I call ''a premium''.

Comment

Most of the people commenting on this forum have no idea of the serious issues here. Suggest you go to David Abel Celebrant Training on YouTube. You might think twice about going on your next cruise. 😐

Comment

I see today that the Americans that have been taken off are complaining that they have to go through another 14 days quarantine.
              Surely they're not that daft to think they would be allowed to go home straight away.
              Or are they?

Regards
              Garf.
              Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 17th February 2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie, Basingstoke View Post
                Most of the people commenting on this forum have no idea of the serious issues here. Suggest you go to David Abel Celebrant Training on YouTube. You might think twice about going on your next cruise. 😐
                I think the people commenting on this issue are perfectly aware of all the issues. We just have differing views on some of the ways of dealing with it.

No way will I be cancelling my cruises because of this ''issue''.

Comment

i have watched bits of a couple of his broadcasts. Did he comply with the quarantine procedures? Balcony passengers were speaking to each other across the balcony dividers without wearing masks.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                    I see today that the Americans that have been taken off are complaining that they have to go through another 14 days quarantine.
                    Surely they're not that daft to think they would be allowed to go home straight away.
                    Or are they?

Regards
                    Garf.
                    Hi Garfie

JMO - I think the CDC have figured out that the quarantine procedures on board the ship were less than optimal and have reset the clock.

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie
                      Sensible procedures as apparently some of those taken off have tested positive.
                      It was more the fact that they thought once they got back to the Land of the Free that they would be exactly that..free to go home.

Garf.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                        Hi Annie
                        Sensible procedures as apparently some of those taken off have tested positive.
                        It was more the fact that they thought once they got back to the Land of the Free that they would be exactly that..free to go home.

Garf.
                        Hi Garfie

They were told very clearly that they would be quarantined on arrival in USA- naïve or stupid if they did not understand that- you pick. They were also advised that if they did not avail themselves of these flights, no timeline could be given for their return to USA.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                          I think Princess have dealt with this admirably. The cruise ship is at the mercy of the Japanese authorities. The top bosses at Princess have given regular news updates.
                          All passengers are getting a full refund and a future 100% cruise credit. They are also being refunded for all flights and pre and post cruise accommodation booked through Princess. All their onboard spend and gratuities have been wavered. They made sure those on medication received new supply. Can’t even imagine the logistics of arranging that!
                          All the crew are to receive two months paid leave and all Diamond Princess cruises have been cancelled until the end of April.
                          Wow, Princess are behaving absolutely magnificently in the circumstances.

Comment

Before he whinges too much more perhaps he might like to compare his current lot with the lot of a billion or more people in developing countries who do not have 3 meals a day, clean water, sanitation facilities, shelter, medical facilities and tv entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

There have been many posts on this subject in the past. Some pay for a cruise and then obtain the cheapest flights from, say, a consolidator. Don't tun up for those flight/ flights are re timed etc etc and you're on your own.
                              Some pay for their flights through their cruise company to enjoy the protection that gives and those flights more often than not, have a premium added e.g, they're more expensive than the consolidator. Depending on the flight and destination, we can be talking hundreds of pounds for two air fares. That's what I call ''a premium''.
                              In most circumstances I have no doubt that you would be protected, however as I said before, I doubt if taking a commercial flight would be an option for those coming off a ship where there had been numerous cases of the virus. Of course they could 'look after' you in other ways including hotel stays.

BTW, the Canadians who are being flown home have to undergo a further fourteen days of quarantine in a conference centre. Those from Wuhan are in a hotel on an army base and will be released on Wednesday.

Comment

In most circumstances I have no doubt that you would be protected, however as I said before, I doubt if taking a commercial flight would be an option for those coming off a ship where there had been numerous cases of the virus. Of course they could 'look after' you in other ways including hotel stays.

BTW, the Canadians who are being flown home have to undergo a further fourteen days of quarantine in a conference centre. Those from Wuhan are in a hotel on an army base and will be released on Wednesday.
                                As I have said in my previous comments, I have no problem with a repatriation flight and I wouldn't for one moment think commercial airlines would be very happy flying those who have been quarantined on the ship, home.

My comments are directed solely to ''who will pay''.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X