• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Not sure why the cruise line should pay.

By all means have the UK send a plane, but those who choose to travel on it, should pay a commercial rate if their travel ins., or package doesn’t cover them.
    My view also. People seem not to realise that our government does not pay, the tax payers (us) do. The quarantine situation is problematic, as has been shown by the spread of the disease so far.i don’t have the answer.

Comment

I think if any of us had been cooped up as long as these Uk passengers have, some in inside cabins and found that ordinary airlines wouldn't carry them ,they would expect the Government to step in, or at the very least facilitate special arrangements to be made via a commercial carrier.
      At the moment they are effectively imprisoned.

Comment

If I was cooped up, I'd be spitting feathers about it and be demanding ''someone do something' . However, me spitting feathers and stamping my feet, and the actual reality of life might not coincide, and in this instance, put on some sort of transport if needs be. but make a commercial charge where the individual passenger's costs aren't recoverable from other sources.
        To be contentious, why should I indirectly pay for their flights home?

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
          I think if any of us had been cooped up as long as these Uk passengers have, some in inside cabins and found that ordinary airlines wouldn't carry them ,they would expect the Government to step in, or at the very least facilitate special arrangements to be made via a commercial carrier.
          Should they not contact their insurance companies??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
            Difficult one but they’ve been through enough pain and suffering just being on that ship. Special arrangements seems to be in order given the extenuating circumstances in this case.

Comment

These passengers have my sympathy, they are in a difficult and totally unexpected situation, not of their making. Rather like the UK citizens stuck in Wuhan, who were flown home the other week..

It is to be hoped that someone comes to their aid sooner rather than later, the way the virus numbers are increasing aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Difficult one but they’ve been through enough pain and suffering just being on that ship. Special arrangements seems to be in order given the extenuating circumstances in this case.
                Maybe irrelevant but I can't recall what happened to UK nationals stranded abroad at the time of the Ash Cloud disaster??

Annie

PS There must be the odd Thomas Cook aircraft lying around mothballed somewhere or maybe Ryanair could step up to the plate??
                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th February 2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                  These passengers have my sympathy, they are in a difficult and totally unexpected situation, not of their making. Rather like the UK citizens stuck in Wuhan, who were flown home the other week..

It is to be hoped that someone comes to their aid sooner rather than later, the way the virus numbers are increasing aboard!
                  I suspect that the quarantine procedures were not as implemented as strictly as they were on the Wirral.

Annie

Comment

I doubt if they would be allowed to board a commercial flight. Would you want to sit next to someone just out of quarantine? Our friends returned on Friday from Sapphire Princess after having their return flight changed to Singapore - San Francisco instead of Singapore - Hong Kong which involved an eight hour layover.

While I don't necessarily agree with people expecting their government to bail them out, I think i this case it might be the best solution. This was not the passengers or the cruise line's fault and the passengers had already paid for a return flight.

Comment

I think Princess have dealt with this admirably. The cruise ship is at the mercy of the Japanese authorities. The top bosses at Princess have given regular news updates.
                      All passengers are getting a full refund and a future 100% cruise credit. They are also being refunded for all flights and pre and post cruise accommodation booked through Princess. All their onboard spend and gratuities have been wavered. They made sure those on medication received new supply. Can’t even imagine the logistics of arranging that!
                      All the crew are to receive two months paid leave and all Diamond Princess cruises have been cancelled until the end of April.

As for the quarantine and bringing them home, although I may feel differently in that situation, I feel they should wait it out, it’s so nearly over (hopefully)
                      David Abel has been a great source of info and his vlogging has probably done him more good than anyone else. But pleading with Richard Branson to come to his rescue with a plane is a bit ridiculous.
                      The idea is to contain the spread, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                        I doubt if they would be allowed to board a commercial flight. Would you want to sit next to someone just out of quarantine? Our friends returned on Friday from Sapphire Princess after having their return flight changed to Singapore - San Francisco instead of Singapore - Hong Kong which involved an eight hour layover.

While I don't necessarily agree with people expecting their government to bail them out, I think i this case it might be the best solution. This was not the passengers or the cruise line's fault and the passengers had already paid for a return flight.

It wasn't anyone's fault, but we pay quite a premium to ensure we'd be looked after in a similar case to this and quite frankly, I don't see why others can't do the same so no, these exceptional circumstances ''don't wash'' with me.
                        Charge a fair commercial rate for unrecoverable costs and I'd be happy for a repatriation flight which, in case anyone takes me up on the ''r'' word, is not the same as those living and working in Wuhan who were repatriated.

Comment

Any passengers that can be flown back, should be. Granted not on a commercial flight, but I'm sure stringent precautions could be put in place.
                          Get them back to proper quarantine facilities where they stand a chance of not contracting the virus... they stand little chance on the ship.
                          Then the who pays for the flight back can begin.... let the government, cruise line, insurers etc. thrash it out. I think enough is enough, or are the British passengers going to be the last off?

Carol
                          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

There has to be a solution here.Either passengers had flights with Princess or their own to return to the UK cancelled.Speed up the claw back and maybe Princess and the government could come to some joint arrangement?
                            In a sense whilst people have opted for these holidays so did the people in Wuhan opt to live there.In Wuhan they were removed from potential high risk.These passengers have been exposed to the disease proper so their needs are actually greater.Once they've beeen cured or tested negative ,they should be offered assistance in my view but I accept others have a different view.
                            However,I would say again if you were in their shoes right now, you would want someone to help and would feel the frustration of going round and round in circles?When there is an impasse or a real problem without an obvious solution surely that's the time to act.

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                              I think Princess have dealt with this admirably. The cruise ship is at the mercy of the Japanese authorities. The top bosses at Princess have given regular news updates.
                              All passengers are getting a full refund and a future 100% cruise credit. They are also being refunded for all flights and pre and post cruise accommodation booked through Princess. All their onboard spend and gratuities have been wavered. They made sure those on medication received new supply. Can’t even imagine the logistics of arranging that!
                              All the crew are to receive two months paid leave and all Diamond Princess cruises have been cancelled until the end of April.

As for the quarantine and bringing them home, although I may feel differently in that situation, I feel they should wait it out, it’s so nearly over (hopefully)
                              David Abel has been a great source of info and his vlogging has probably done him more good than anyone else. But pleading with Richard Branson to come to his rescue with a plane is a bit ridiculous.
                              The idea is to contain the spread, is it not?
                              I would wait it out hoping that by waiting I would not face the mandatory quarantine period of 14 days that faces the Americans.

Annie

PS According to the Telegraph the Govt is considering placing them in quarantine in Japan.
                              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th February 2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                                [/COLOR]
                                It wasn't anyone's fault, but we pay quite a premium to ensure we'd be looked after in a similar case to this and quite frankly, I don't see why others can't do the same so no, these exceptional circumstances ''don't wash'' with me.
                                Charge a fair commercial rate for unrecoverable costs and I'd be happy for a repatriation flight which, in case anyone takes me up on the ''r'' word, is not the same as those living and working in Wuhan who were repatriated.
                                Mrs M. Most of those who post here are experienced travellers who understand the need for good insurance. I generally have little sympathy with those who are not adequately insured but in this case it is such an unusual and unexpected event with a severe impact that I think governments should step in. In the overall amount of money spent by governments, the cost of a flight for a few hundred passengers is minimal. However, if a passenger has their flight paid from another source that amount should be clawed back - they shouldn’t make a profit!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X