• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Bojo send a plane for UK nationals on the Diamond Princess??

Hi All

Trump is sending 2 planes.

The Italians are evacuating their nationals.

What should the UK do bearing in mind that the initial quarantine period ends Wednesday??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51519687

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th February 2020, 11:23 AM.

Hang on Annie, if the government sends a plane, who pays? Surely it should be a simple matter to book flights home.

Comment

It is not my responsibility to get them, or any other Brits in non life threatening situations, home.

Let them use the return half of their original flight ticket or buy a new single and claim off their insurance policy.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
        It is not my responsibility to get them, or any other Brits in non life threatening situations, home.

Let them use the return half of their original flight ticket or buy a new single and claim off their insurance policy.
        As one who pays over the odds for security of travel, I agree with you.

Comment

Deoends what is meant by initial quarantine period. Would they be allowed on a commercial flight from the US?

Comment

Interesting issue, given the infection rate on the ship will a normal commercial airline be prepared to take them, would you wish to sit next to them, although the initial quarantine period is over the risk of infection remains as new cases were being reported daily.

I think the safest and fairest solution is a stand alone flight back, as per Wuhan, and a suitable period of further quarantine.

John

Comment

It does appear that the US and Canadian Governments have sent aircraft for their citizens, so I can understand those onboard expecting our lot to do the same.

Who pays? How about Princess stepping up to the plate?.................Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                Interesting issue, given the infection rate on the ship will a normal commercial airline be prepared to take them, would you wish to sit next to them, although the initial quarantine period is over the risk of infection remains as new cases were being reported daily.

I think the safest and fairest solution is a stand alone flight back, as per Wuhan, and a suitable period of further quarantine.

John
                Westerdam passengers (Dutch nationals) were bumped from a KLM flight

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...ht-in-malaysia

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                  Hang on Annie, if the government sends a plane, who pays? Surely it should be a simple matter to book flights home.
                  I am not advocating sending a plane just asking the question.

Possibly 2 issues:

1. The DP passengers will probably be subjected to another quarantine period , home or abroad.
                  2. Would a commercial airline accept a booking from them??

Annie

Comment

Princess should pay but now other countries have blinked first they obviously won't be so what happens to the Uk nationals especially if carriers are refusing to carry passengers?
                    Could get the Chancellor to sort it.After all, if you don't like what he's doing , just get a new one next week.

Comment

Not sure why the cruise line should pay.

By all means have the UK send a plane, but those who choose to travel on it, should pay a commercial rate if their travel ins., or package doesn’t cover them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Not sure why the cruise line should pay.

By all means have the UK send a plane, but those who choose to travel on it, should pay a commercial rate if their travel ins., or package doesn’t cover them.
                        Princess are going to need some iminent good PR as far as Diamond Princess is concerned.

Not their fault, I know, but who is going to rush to buy a cruise on that particular ship?............Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Princess are going to need some iminent good PR as far as Diamond Princess is concerned.

Not their fault, I know, but who is going to rush to buy a cruise on that particular ship?............Wilba
                          Good PR or not, this would set a precedent, one I would have thought would end up more costly in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I am not advocating sending a plane just asking the question.

Possibly 2 issues:

1. The DP passengers will probably be subjected to another quarantine period , home or abroad.
                            2. Would a commercial airline accept a booking from them??

Annie
                            Why would Drinks Packages passengers be quarantined?
                            Just pay the duty on them..

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Why would Drinks Packages passengers be quarantined?
                              Just pay the duty on them..
                              Very clever Garfie

I understand the planes the US are sending are converted cargo 747s, Luggage allowance is limited and there will be no drinks or meals service according to reports.

Something like this:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/a-look...ns-from-wuhan/

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X