• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin's Scarlet Lady Delivered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin's Scarlet Lady Delivered

The Scarlet Lady, the first of four ships for Virgin Voyages, was presented today for delivery at Fincantieri's shipyard in Genoa Sestri Ponente.

The ceremony was attended, among others, by the President and CEO of Virgin Voyages Tom McAlpin, by the Governor of the Liguria Region Giovanni Toti, by the Mayor of Genoa Marco Bucci, welcomed by the Chairman of Fincantieri Giampiero Massolo, and its CEO Giuseppe Bono.

The new ship is 110,000 tons, 278 meters long and 38 meters wide. A second ship, the Valiant Lady, follows in 2021 while more sister ships come in 2022 and 2023.

The ships all feature over 1,400 guest cabins designed to host more than 2,770 passengers, accompanied by 1,160 crew members onboard to deliver Virgin service.

(Cruise Industry News)

Float out, slide-show: https://youtu.be/IEbIw9lVI0k
    See my cruise blog: HERE

The ship actually looks quite nice. Not too large at 110,000 tons.

Comment

I love the front of the ship but not the aft.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
        I love the front of the ship but not the aft.
        Plating on the bow section doesn't look as good as I think it could (should) be. What happened to the bulbous bow - is that history? Im sure some of you will know the technicals behind it. I have read on the very small ships (cannot remember which line - their new venture into expeditions) that it minimises slamming into waves. But what benefits does it lose from its omission?

Bill
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwd9apbxzcvxmq/maid%20of%20the%20loch.jpg?dl=0

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Plating on the bow section doesn't look as good as I think it could (should) be. What happened to the bulbous bow - is that history? Im sure some of you will know the technicals behind it. I have read on the very small ships (cannot remember which line - their new venture into expeditions) that it minimises slamming into waves. But what benefits does it lose from its omission?

Bill
          The bow is reminiscent of early warships.

The whole ship looks as though the chief designer went on leave and "the boy" finished it off. No doubt the design has been subject to intensive hull water tank trials and probably in this day and age aerodynamic superstructure tests to economise on fuel usage.

Comment

I can't say that it appeals to me but then I'm probably out of their target demographic market. She doesn't look very stable but then I guess they have don't masses of trials for the type of design.
            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X