• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding Off Booking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In over twenty five years of cruising and often spending two months at sea per year, I have picked up a cold, once. That's it.

I hold onto handrails/push lift buttons, never wipe anything down in the cabin and never use any sanitizer other than the stuff at the entrance to the Lido. I do, however, wash my hands an awful lot and carry a tube of Diprobase cream with me as an antidote to dry hand syndrome and I never use utensils provided when selecting my sushi from the buffet. I use the paper towel trick when using public loos

Common sense is needed rather than a reliance on gels and I speak as a teacher who has ''caught'' up chuck product from a poorly child, in my bare hands on more than one occasion.

Be a washer and not a walker.

It works.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      You can always do a Jane MacDonald and switch the tv to the bridge cam channel to see the weather outside!
      I’ve tried to put it on at night so it can waken us naturally but some lines have a light area round the webcam so no use. I do put the webcam channel on to see the weather even although I know it’s going to be sunny and hot. 😂😂
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I always use a paper towel when exiting a public toilet. On our last cruise as the door was closing behind me, I heard one lady say to another "On all the cruises I've done, I've never seen anyone doing that before". It's just common sense to me.
        Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
          I always use a paper towel when exiting a public toilet. On our last cruise as the door was closing behind me, I heard one lady say to another "On all the cruises I've done, I've never seen anyone doing that before". It's just common sense to me.
          Barb
          Maybe it's time for cruise lines to start focusing on loo door furniture.

Other than propping main entrance loo doors open [QM2 did that] the best public loos are those with a large ''button'' one can elbow and the door automatically opens. Victoria has a few of those. Next best are the door handles I came across on HAL. The interior door of public loo doors had a large handle where one could crook one's arm through it and open it with the inner elbow.

Comment

Have never used a tissue or loo paper to open a toilet cubicle door, but do wash my hands with soap and hot water after.

I do however use toilet paper to wipe a toilet seat before sitting down, although I only ever use the cubicle of public toilets in an emergency. Thankfully the majority of times I visit a public toilet only need to use the urinal
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 13th February 2020, 05:21 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
              Have never used a tissue or loo paper to open a toilet door, but do wash my hands with soap and hot water after.
              I too wash well, but others, don't. If I can avoid little germ cells on the interior of the main loo door. left by walkers, not washers, as I leave the area, then I do.

Paper towels 'r us if no auto door or arm handle available.

Comment

Have never used a tissue or loo paper to open a toilet cubicle door, but do wash my hands with soap and hot water after.

I do however use toilet paper to wipe a toilet seat before sitting down, although I only ever use the cubicle of public toilets in an emergency. Thankfully the majority of times I visit a public toilet only need to use the urinal
                Not the cubicle door, the main door. I have been on lines where they have notices up telling you to use the paper towels and a bin by the door to throw them in

Comment

Yes, I meant the main door not the cubicle door. I too also wash hands thoroughly, but unfortunately many don't.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Not the cubicle door, the main door. I have been on lines where they have notices up telling you to use the paper towels and a bin by the door to throw them in
                    Have to admit have never seen those notices.

Personally I make sure I take care of my own personal hygiene.
                    Otherwise where do you stop, everything you touch has probably been touched by others before you.
                    On shore, the main entrance doors of most public urinals are left open and it’s a straight walk in and out.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Have to admit have never seen those notices.

Personally I make sure I take care of my own personal hygiene.
                      Otherwise where do you stop, everything you touch has probably been touched by others before you.
                      On shore, the main entrance doors of most public urinals are left open and it’s a straight walk in and out.
                      I'll take my chances around the ship. But the number of people that don't wash their hands, why take the chance in a toilet.

think it may have been FO who had the signs up......or NCL
                      Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 13th February 2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
                        I'll take my chances around the ship. But the number of people that don't wash their hands, why take the chance in a toilet.

think it may have been FO who had the signs up......or NCL
                        I have certainly seen notices on HAL and Celebrity. Celebrity also has those door opening pads on an adjacent wall.

On my only Princess cruise, the Captain made an announcement to the effect it is preferable to use your own private facilities.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
                          Barb
                          A few of mine in the last two year have been on ships that have been putting dispensers and bins next to the doors with signs use a paper towel.

On some ships they have designed the entrances so the main access door can be left open with no line of sight unless going in.

Not all older ship have had the upgrades.

Comment

Boudicca has a button to open the door and a notice to use a tissue to open it. I avoid using the public toilets but did use them for washing my hands after playing deck games handling quoits etc, in addition to the hand gel too.
                            We are fit and well after our cruise. I am sure our squirts of First Defence in coaces and planes helped protect us from germs. Does anyone else use it?

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                              With the news that corona virus is not due to peak until June and a vaccine not expected to be ready until late in the year, has this put you off booking a cruise for the next year?
                              Are you wishing that you hadn't booked? or due you think it's a storm in a teacup?

The situation has made me decide that I will no longer book a cabin unless it has access to fresh air and I shall be paying the extra for cabin confinement in all future cruises. I wonder how many of those currently confined to their cabins wish they had booked a balcony or took out specific cruise insurance to cover themselves if they are confined to their cabin.
                              From Seatrade-cruise, RCI report softer bookings.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news...ct-coronavirus

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Maybe it's time for cruise lines to start focusing on loo door furniture.

Other than propping main entrance loo doors open [QM2 did that] the best public loos are those with a large ''button'' one can elbow and the door automatically opens. Victoria has a few of those. Next best are the door handles I came across on HAL. The interior door of public loo doors had a large handle where one could crook one's arm through it and open it with the inner elbow.
                                Fred Olsen have large entrance/exit buttons in the public loos, which I always elbow, rather than use my hands. As has been said though, thorough washing of hands as opposed to a quick rinse under the tap is the best protection against spreading bacteria and viruses.
                                Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X