• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding Off Booking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Holding Off Booking?

    With the news that corona virus is not due to peak until June and a vaccine not expected to be ready until late in the year, has this put you off booking a cruise for the next year?
    Are you wishing that you hadn't booked? or due you think it's a storm in a teacup?

    The situation has made me decide that I will no longer book a cabin unless it has access to fresh air and I shall be paying the extra for cabin confinement in all future cruises. I wonder how many of those currently confined to their cabins wish they had booked a balcony or took out specific cruise insurance to cover themselves if they are confined to their cabin.

    #2
    Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
    With the news that corona virus is not due to peak until June and a vaccine not expected to be ready until late in the year, has this put you off booking a cruise for the next year?
    Are you wishing that you hadn't booked? or due you think it's a storm in a teacup?

    The situation has made me decide that I will no longer book a cabin unless it has access to fresh air and I shall be paying the extra for cabin confinement in all future cruises. I wonder how many of those currently confined to their cabins wish they had booked a balcony or took out specific cruise insurance to cover themselves if they are confined to their cabin.
    I do not have any current cruise bookings but that is because I can't find any affordable itineraries that I want to take.

    I have sailed in most cabin grades and would happily sail in an inside again.

    Annie

    Comment


      #3
      I feel we have been lucky getting back from our cruise having called at Singapore and Thailand. We have onky ever cruise in a cabin without a balcony 3 times, this was one of them. We had been congratulating ourselves on how much we had saved and how well we managed it I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be confined in there for 2 weeks.

      It will make me think very carefully in future. No amount of insurance cover would compensate for having to endure no fresh air. I can't imagine what it would be like having to entertain small children for that length of time.
      I have gotten on a our of cruises for layer in tbeyear but nothing booked for either land or sea at the moment. Probrably back to India for a few weeks. Lovely weather, lovely food and lovely people.

      Comment


        #4
        Got quite a few booked and will book again as soon as the new schedules are out. I'm more wary of the ''Cunard Cough'' than Coronavirus. In fact, I'm almost pleased the attention this virus has had/will have as it will focus attention on ''coughs'' and those one or two unthinking passengers who should self quarantine due to being unwell, might be quarantined by medical staff on a just in case basis.

        Suits me.

        Comment


          #5
          Going to Japan but not until October, so hoping the outbreak has been sorted by then. I was talking to a medical professor friend of mine about this. He agreed with me that there seems to be a lot of unnecessary hysteria about this. Whilst it's very sad for the families of those who die from this illness, when you compare it to the annual flu outbreaks around the world, It isn't particularly serious for the majority of those infected.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

            I do not have any current cruise bookings but that is because I can't find any affordable itineraries that I want to take.

            I have sailed in most cabin grades and would happily sail in an inside again.

            Annie
            We have no current bookings for the same reason Annie.
            I have never minded inside cabins, we usually book whatever category fits our budget for a particular cruise. However, after hearing about conditions on the Diamond Princess, I might think twice about inside. The thought of being quarantined for two weeks without access to fresh air doesn't appeal.

            Comment


              #7
              Carnival issues share price warning

              https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/12/carn...fz4OqCfRJts5cI

              Comment


                #8
                Only some 10,000 - 15,000 or so out quarantined out of 20,000,000 who go on cruises a year in how many years? Likelihood of it happening again is very small.

                PS Hope it hasn't reached the Baltic countries by June!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

                  We have no current bookings for the same reason Annie.
                  I have never minded inside cabins, we usually book whatever category fits our budget for a particular cruise. However, after hearing about conditions on the Diamond Princess, I might think twice about inside. The thought of being quarantined for two weeks without access to fresh air doesn't appeal.
                  I could cope with a couple of weeks. Spent a month in hospital with a fractured spine and no access to fresh air so I know I could cope. I wasn't allowed to sit up never mind walk for the 1st 3 weeks and there was no internet. The DP is hopefully a one-off.

                  Annie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I can well see a knee jerk reaction to not booking an inside or outside cabin leading to a healthy price rise in balcony cabins.

                    Cruising as we know it has been with us for 60 or 70 years. How many of the countless millions of cruisers have been compounded on a cruise ship for two weeks?

                    It just doesn’t figure in the real world equation IMO…………Wilba
                    Wilba

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      I can well see a knee jerk reaction to not booking an inside or outside cabin leading to a healthy price rise in balcony cabins.

                      Cruising as we know it has been with us for 60 or 70 years. How many of the countless millions of cruisers have been compounded on a cruise ship for two weeks?

                      It just doesn’t figure in the real world equation IMO…………Wilba
                      Or possibly a reduced price for inside cabins

                      Annie

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If I were not in reasonable health, very elderly or had a condition such as asthma I would have cancelled my cruise in six weeks' time. It was due to visit Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore but instead will be repositioned to the Med for the summer at least.

                        I feel sorry for the crew on the Princess ship marooned off Japan. The Indian members of the crew have even appealed to their Prime Minister for help, according the Times website today.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                          I can well see a knee jerk reaction to not booking an inside or outside cabin leading to a healthy price rise in balcony cabins.

                          Cruising as we know it has been with us for 60 or 70 years. How many of the countless millions of cruisers have been compounded on a cruise ship for two weeks?

                          It just doesn’t figure in the real world equation IMO…………Wilba

                          None of this will stop us cruising, but I can definitely see the possibility of premium prices for balcony cabins if only on the ''if they'll pay, we will charge'' basis.

                          Quarantining passengers and crew on a ship because of a virus which as yet, doesn't seem to be in the same category as, say, ebola, certainly seems a bit OTT but I'm equally sure it will be the pattern from now on.

                          The world is changing. Our planet is crowded and viruses which didn't exist or didn't have the opportunity to jump species fifty years ago, can, with the ease of travel at our fingertips, have the potential to cause pandemics far more easily than decades ago. This won't be the last occasion a ship and passengers are quarantined.



                          Comment


                            #14
                            I won't be cruising until September. I am certainly not worrying about the Corona Virus at the moment and if our cruise is affected then we will face it if and when.
                            Jill

                            Comment


                              #15
                              We are off down to Gibraltar, Spain and Portugal in 5 weeks and looking forward to it. Next cruise after that will be in October, but nowhere near Asia, just Germany, France and Holland.

                              This virus has the odd patient in most countries now.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X