• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iona Maiden Cruise, Musical Line Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delboy, Essex
    started a topic Iona Maiden Cruise, Musical Line Up

Iona Maiden Cruise, Musical Line Up

P/O have produced the musical Line up for the Maiden Cruise, they say more to follow! IMG_5724.PNGIMG_5713.PNGIMG_5714.PNGIMG_5723.PNG

• Peter, TYLDESLEY
    replied
    Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
    All "has beens" and a bit of a cheek to sell tickets when those on the cruise have probably paid over the odds for the maiden cruise anyway.
    I don't class Alexandra Burke as a has been. We booked a year in advance to see her in the Bodyguard in Manchester. Come the night some other singer appeared on stage to sing Alexandra's part. She wasn't what I would call professional standard. At the break many of those around us were of a similar opinion. With a bit of Google on the mobile it transpired that Alexandra was ill but there was no announcement and we didn't see any notices in the foyer. Very disappointed. Just had our cruise on the Diamond Princess cancelled (a weight off our minds) so this voyage is one we will investigate.

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Must get new glasses...I thought it said Iron Maiden cruise then saw the line up.
    It's most definitely not a heavy metal gig and Tony Hadley would be about the only one of those advertised that I'd like to see having seen him with Spandau.

Regards
    Garf
    You are not alone Garf........run for the hills.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    I think it has been mentioned before...

For a bit of cruise history there is a book Death By Chocolate from 2001 that covers quite a lot around food offerings.

As well as pay for restaurants, celebrity chefs go back to the 80's/90's as well.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    This was the act when i did the Limelight Club.
    A Morecambe & Wise tribute act.,,,they even looked like the real thing,,,,,,never stopped laughing......
    I don't think they would have pulled it off in a huge ships theatre,but in a small venue like the Limelight Club were they could bounce off the audience they were brilliant....

JC

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Mmmm, can't say I am overwhelmed. Haven't heard of most of them. Denise van Outen is quite good, wouldn't see a drag artist if she/he/it was free, menu sounds not a lot different from P&O MDR menus but with a few more fancy words for the veggies.

Looking forward to Iona in November although she will be by far the biggest ship we have been on.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Yep it was the 80's, I remember it well.

The 'American' lines started it, RCI, etc.

P&O followed suit. Their charge , if I remember correctly was about £8.50...............Wilba
    Nothmg new then and long before my ocean cruising days began

P&O are not going to please everyone but our Carol (WGC) who is booked on the Maiden is happy and I think the line-up is OK for the passenger list. They will know the demographics.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

There are references of extra charge restaurants go back into the 80's
    there was resistance then and some lines dropped the charge recommending extra gratuities.
    BY the end of the 90's more ships were going down the alternative dining options.
    In that case, it must be the lines we choose.

Fred Olsen only introduced a paying restaurant during the past 3 years or so. We have never tried it because the food in the MDR is always good. The only times we have toured the ship's restaurants is on Azamara and Oceania, which were inclusive of the cruise price.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

there was resistance then and some lines dropped the charge recommending extra gratuities.
    BY the end of the 90's more ships were going down the alternative dining options.
    Yep it was the 80's, I remember it well.

The 'American' lines started it, RCI, etc.

P&O followed suit. Their charge , if I remember correctly was about £8.50...............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I was referring to the introduction of speciality restaurants Del. When did it all start? We only began cruising 10 years ago and back then, I don't remember there being alternatives to either the MDR or the buffet restaurants on P & O, RCI, Fred Olsen et al. Nowadays, they are all offering restaurants for an added charge.

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    I've seen Gabrielle live and she has a fantastic voice and had a new album out recently.
    I saw Spandau Ballet live in 1984 as part of New Brighton Rock which was filmed at the now demolished open air baths.They were miming but Tony Hadley slipped whilst performing True and it had to be reshot.
    Paid acts with meals included is a now established part of the cruise industry.
    I also think diluting the quality and range of the "free" acts is part of the plan

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I was referring to the introduction of speciality restaurants Del. When did it all start? We only began cruising 10 years ago and back then, I don't remember there being alternatives to either the MDR or the buffet restaurants on P & O, RCI, Fred Olsen et al. Nowadays, they are all offering restaurants for an added charge.

Personally we have never eaten in a speciality restaurant, MDR and Buffet have been sufficient for us.

I think Iona are taking the number of these additional restaurants to new level, as in addition to the list below of included eateries, there are an additional 7/8 restaurants all incurring an additional charge.

Included in the standard fare:
    • Freedom Dining in the Pearl, Coral, Aqua or Opal Restaurants.
    • The Quays – Self-service foodmarket style venue serving American 'soul food', Southeast Asian at 'Fusion' and Indian cuisine.
    • The Horizon Buffet.
    • SkyDome Pizzeria and Grill.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

The only artist I am aware of where there is a charge for appearing in the ships theatre is Gary Barlow.

I understand the ticket money on these occasions is being donated to charity. Judging by comments on fb there is no shortage of people enquiring about obtaining tickets.

In regards to speciality restaurants has there not always been a surcharge, irrespective of whether an artist was appearing or not.

That is not my argument Del.

Why not have these artists appear in the theatre with no additional charge so that everyone has an opportunity to see them?...........The way it always was...............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

The only artist I am aware of where there is a charge for appearing in the ships theatre is Gary Barlow.

I understand the ticket money on these occasions is being donated to charity. Judging by comments on fb there is no shortage of people enquiring about obtaining tickets.

In regards to speciality restaurants has there not always been a surcharge, irrespective of whether an artist was appearing or not.

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I agree,

Whatever happened to the days of cruising where artists appeared in the ships theatre at no extra charge?...............Wilba

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X