• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iona Maiden Cruise, Musical Line Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Thanks Delboy.

I think they have pitched the musical line-up OK for a British passenger list.

Who did people think would turn up?

Annie

PS I am curious if Gary Barllow had any input?

Hi Annie
    As he's the new brand ambassador fo PandO you would have thought he might be on this Maiden.
    He's not touring at that time.
    Regards
    Garf

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      I wanted to see Gabrielle, she's in the Limelight, but the menu, is not to my taste at all, so not sure.

I think it's a pretty good line up, I've seen some of them before, and they are all entertaining. I'm really looking forward to the maiden, so we'll see how it goes. It will all work out perfectly or there will be a lot of disappointed people who can't get to see who they want to.

Hopefully everyone on board will be like all of you who don't want to see any of them and then there will be no problem. .................................................. .Carol
      Hi Carol

Read Delboy's post re you can order from MDR - that could be a solution.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Carol

Read Delboy's post re you can order from MDR - that could be a solution.

Annie
        Yes thank you, I just saw that once I posted, That certainly would be a solution ..........................................Carol

Comment

Float out

IMG_5725.JPG
          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi Del
            I did the Limelight Club on Britannia,,loved it.
            I think it was £24 each,,well worth it,,,just like the old Dinner/Caberet clubs we used to go to in the North of England years ago.

Anyone remember the Garrick Club in Leigh or Wakefield or Batley Variety Clubs?

JC
            My Mum saw Morcambe & Wise in Wakefield and Shirley Bassey and Louis Armstrong at the Batley Veriety Club, those were acts!

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
              All "has beens" and a bit of a cheek to sell tickets when those on the cruise have probably paid over the odds for the maiden cruise anyway.
              I agree,

Whatever happened to the days of cruising where artists appeared in the ships theatre at no extra charge?...............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I agree,

Whatever happened to the days of cruising where artists appeared in the ships theatre at no extra charge?...............Wilba
                That seems to be the trend with some cruise companies now doesn't it?

There was a time when we discussed gratuities being included in the base cruise price. Instead we get add ons for lots of alternative restaurants and entertainment.
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I agree,

The only artist I am aware of where there is a charge for appearing in the ships theatre is Gary Barlow.

I understand the ticket money on these occasions is being donated to charity. Judging by comments on fb there is no shortage of people enquiring about obtaining tickets.

In regards to speciality restaurants has there not always been a surcharge, irrespective of whether an artist was appearing or not.

Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

The only artist I am aware of where there is a charge for appearing in the ships theatre is Gary Barlow.

I understand the ticket money on these occasions is being donated to charity. Judging by comments on fb there is no shortage of people enquiring about obtaining tickets.

In regards to speciality restaurants has there not always been a surcharge, irrespective of whether an artist was appearing or not.

I was referring to the introduction of speciality restaurants Del. When did it all start? We only began cruising 10 years ago and back then, I don't remember there being alternatives to either the MDR or the buffet restaurants on P & O, RCI, Fred Olsen et al. Nowadays, they are all offering restaurants for an added charge.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

That is not my argument Del.

Why not have these artists appear in the theatre with no additional charge so that everyone has an opportunity to see them?...........The way it always was...............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I was referring to the introduction of speciality restaurants Del. When did it all start? We only began cruising 10 years ago and back then, I don't remember there being alternatives to either the MDR or the buffet restaurants on P & O, RCI, Fred Olsen et al. Nowadays, they are all offering restaurants for an added charge.

Personally we have never eaten in a speciality restaurant, MDR and Buffet have been sufficient for us.

I think Iona are taking the number of these additional restaurants to new level, as in addition to the list below of included eateries, there are an additional 7/8 restaurants all incurring an additional charge.

Included in the standard fare:
                        • Freedom Dining in the Pearl, Coral, Aqua or Opal Restaurants.
                        • The Quays – Self-service foodmarket style venue serving American 'soul food', Southeast Asian at 'Fusion' and Indian cuisine.
                        • The Horizon Buffet.
                        • SkyDome Pizzeria and Grill.

Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

I've seen Gabrielle live and she has a fantastic voice and had a new album out recently.
                          I saw Spandau Ballet live in 1984 as part of New Brighton Rock which was filmed at the now demolished open air baths.They were miming but Tony Hadley slipped whilst performing True and it had to be reshot.
                          Paid acts with meals included is a now established part of the cruise industry.
                          I also think diluting the quality and range of the "free" acts is part of the plan

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

There are references of extra charge restaurants go back into the 80's
                            there was resistance then and some lines dropped the charge recommending extra gratuities.
                            BY the end of the 90's more ships were going down the alternative dining options.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

there was resistance then and some lines dropped the charge recommending extra gratuities.
                              BY the end of the 90's more ships were going down the alternative dining options.
                              Yep it was the 80's, I remember it well.

The 'American' lines started it, RCI, etc.

P&O followed suit. Their charge , if I remember correctly was about £8.50...............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

In that case, it must be the lines we choose.

Fred Olsen only introduced a paying restaurant during the past 3 years or so. We have never tried it because the food in the MDR is always good. The only times we have toured the ship's restaurants is on Azamara and Oceania, which were inclusive of the cruise price.
                                Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X