• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The www.CRUISE.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ocean Cruise Terminal : New Air Bridges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ocean Cruise Terminal : New Air Bridges

    Hi All

    Good news for some.

    https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news...-bridges%C2%A0

    Annie

    #2
    image_9524.jpg Yep, Ocean Terminal is being updated so the new P&O ship Iona can use it, she has to have three.

    IMG_5665.JPG
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 14th January 2020, 05:33 PM.
    Delboy


    Photo Albums

    https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

    or

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
      Yep, Ocean Terminal is being updated so the new P&O ship Iona can use it, she has to have three.
      So what happens at all her ports of call?

      Will there be three bridges, or just long queues?................Wilba



      Wilba

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Wilba View Post

        So what happens at all her ports of call?

        Will there be three bridges, or just long queues?................Wilba


        Not a clue, will let you know after my Norway cruise.😉😎
        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 14th January 2020, 05:57 PM.
        Delboy


        Photo Albums

        https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

        or

        https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

          Not a clue, will let you know after my Norway cruise.😉😎
          When are you off on your Norway cruise? We always like to sample the new ships and are considering Iona for later this year. Not sure how I feel about the fuel though - I think it is Liquid Petroleum Gas- makes me a little nervous. Not sure if anyone can enlighten me as to what difference this makes and the safety of LPG?? I am sure it is perfectly safe but still a bit unsure.

          Comment


            #6
            Without updating the terminal logistics an extra ship access won't solve the bottlenecks.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
              Without updating the terminal logistics an extra ship access won't solve the bottlenecks.
              i understand these Air Bridges form part of a £12 million re development so I would imagine it would include changes to the terminals logistics.

              Delboy


              Photo Albums

              https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

              or

              https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

                When are you off on your Norway cruise? We always like to sample the new ships and are considering Iona for later this year. Not sure how I feel about the fuel though - I think it is Liquid Petroleum Gas- makes me a little nervous. Not sure if anyone can enlighten me as to what difference this makes and the safety of LPG?? I am sure it is perfectly safe but still a bit unsure.
                Hi Lucy

                We are Cruising the Fjords on Iona in June this year our second visit to Norway, I think most of its cruises for at least the next two years are to the Fjords.

                With regards to the fuel it is Liquified Natural Gas not to be confused with Liquid Petroleum Gas https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_natural_gas.

                I don't know too much about it hence the Wikipedia link, but I am sure they would not be using it if not safe it's supposed to be much more environmentally friendly than diesel.
                Delboy


                Photo Albums

                https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                or

                https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                Comment


                  #9
                  Generally you only need more access points than usual for embarkation and debarkation.
                  I'm sure she won't need air bridges everywhere she visits,the other large ships don't.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                    Generally you only need more access points than usual for embarkation and debarkation.
                    I'm sure she won't need air bridges everywhere she visits,the other large ships don't.
                    Really?? Not in my experience sadly at some ports.

                    Will Iona use Geiranger's Seawalk or rely on tender?

                    Annie

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                      Really?? Not in my experience sadly at some ports.

                      Will Iona use Geiranger's Seawalk or rely on tender?

                      Annie
                      I've been on some large ships with 2 ordinary access points and have docked next to quite a few mega ships with 2 access points,flow was fine.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

                        I've been on some large ships with 2 ordinary access points and have docked next to quite a few mega ships with 2 access points,flow was fine.
                        When I was on the Solstice when she docked at Port Chalmers (NZ), we had one access point. Low water levels had disabled the other access point.

                        I have also had issues at Bergen, Manhattan and Boston ports.

                        None of the pax list exceeded 3000 and there was no other ship in port.

                        Probably just unlucky.

                        Annie

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                          When I was on the Solstice when she docked at Port Chalmers (NZ), we had one access point. Low water levels had disabled the other access point.

                          I have also had issues at Bergen, Manhattan and Boston ports.

                          None of the pax list exceeded 3000 and there was no other ship in port.

                          Probably just unlucky.

                          Annie
                          What? doing ships with more than 2000 pax now.

                          You will be sailing from Southampton next.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

                            What? doing ships with more than 2000 pax now.

                            You will be sailing from Southampton next.
                            Solstice class is too big and the next cruise I want to take only has overseas embarkation ports

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                              When I was on the Solstice when she docked at Port Chalmers (NZ), we had one access point. Low water levels had disabled the other access point.

                              I have also had issues at Bergen, Manhattan and Boston ports.

                              None of the pax list exceeded 3000 and there was no other ship in port.

                              Probably just unlucky.

                              Annie
                              Some ports ate trickier than others ,currents/tides.
                              I have experienced some pretty steep gangways,I'm sure most of us have!

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X