• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise ship returns to port early Oasis of the Seas due to norovirus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise ship returns to port early Oasis of the Seas due to norovirus

Just reading that 277 guests have been struck down with norovirus on board Oasis of the Seas and that the ship has returned to port early. Just wondering if anyone has been on a cruise ship when something similar has occurred.

https://news.sky.com/story/norovirus...bbean-11603999

what is unusual is the comp level

Full refunds, hotel credits and flight change credits

thats one big refund bill, 5k pax paying what $1k each $5M

Comment

I'd be very miffed if I was one of the 4,773 passengers without the norovirus!

See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
        I'd be very miffed if I was one of the 4,773 passengers without the norovirus!
        It was only back a day early, they had had most of their cruise, I'd have thought happy days ............................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

It was only back a day early, they had had most of their cruise, I'd have thought happy days ............................................Carol
          Agreed.

Annie

Comment

..........or to put it another way guessing it was probably a 7 night cruise - 14%
            www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Check the itinerary, it went wrong Jamaica when they got turned away.

Comment

So you would be happy Carol, if you lost a day of your cruise 7 day cruise?

You may have already been on a ship with Norovirus onboard, it's not that rare. I have. The cruise was not terminated early.
                Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 11th January 2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Really Carol, I wouldn’t have been chuffed arriving back a day early (given the circumstances) and being shipped off (no pun intended) to a hotel. I suppose it’s easy to make judgements when you’re not actually in that position. I was delayed in Venice a couple of years ago when Rhapsody was stuck outside the port as a result of fog. It caused chaos for those on board the ship who missed flights / onward connections and of course the couple of thousand that were waiting to board. There was no contingency planning in place to deal with it. Not a pleasant experience for those on board Oasis especially with the threat of Norovirus lurking everywhere. A fair and proper outcome is appropriate in my opinion. Now, whether that amounts to a full refund, is another matter 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Check the itinerary, it went wrong Jamaica when they got turned away.
                    That's odd. The Norovirus exist on land.

Only 5% (or so) of the ships passengers had it.

Comment

It's not % it's headcount that makes it serious.
                      The potential for 100s more being in the pre symptom contagious phase is too risky.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

So you would be happy Carol, if you lost a day of your cruise 7 day cruise?

You may have already been on a ship with Norovirus onboard, it's not that rare. I have. The cruise was not terminated early.
                        The bean counters will have calculated potential liability and advised Management.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Really Carol, I wouldn’t have been chuffed arriving back a day early (given the circumstances) and being shipped off (no pun intended) to a hotel. I suppose it’s easy to make judgements when you’re not actually in that position. I was delayed in Venice a couple of years ago when Rhapsody was stuck outside the port as a result of fog. It caused chaos for those on board the ship who missed flights / onward connections and of course the couple of thousand that were waiting to board. There was no contingency planning in place to deal with it. Not a pleasant experience for those on board Oasis especially with the threat of Norovirus lurking everywhere. A fair and proper outcome is appropriate in my opinion. Now, whether that amounts to a full refund, is another matter 😊
                          But the passengers got a full refund and part of their fares back, they can book another one .................................................. .............Carol

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Getting back a day early is far better than being delayed - no problems with flights home. I would not have been unhappy if I was getting a full refund.

Comment

The problems started 2 days in,
                              they missed 2 of the 3 ports
                              will lose a day

CDC on the case
                              https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/ou..._Seas_1-6.html

Latest reports from the ship numbers up to 475, 100 in quarantine.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X