• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Drink the Tap Water ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can You Drink the Tap Water ?

    Hi

    We are previous Ocean Village cruisers and as they are going are looking for a replacement operator so are thinking of trying Thomsons in September - one thing - can you drink the tap water ? My hubby drinks gallons and gallons of water !! and I see you have to pay for water - on OV the tap water was fine to drink so saved us a fortune.

    As it's our 1st time with Thomsons - we are thinking of Destiny for the cruise - any advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be having an inside cabin - basically we use it to sleep, wash and change in ! but is it a problem with noise on Destiny on the lower decks....

    PLEASE get back to me with anything you can recommend or advise to steer clear of....

    Carrol
    Villas & Vino - Tapas & Togas - OV1 Sept 2006 - Honeymoon - loved it !!!!
    Olives & Ouzo - Temples & Tavernas - OV1 Sept 2008 - loved it !!!! loved it !!!!
    Palaces & Pyramids - Gateways & Gondolas - OV2 Sept 2009 - loved it !!!!
    Med Renaissance - Thomson Destiny Sept 2010 - OK but preferred OV

    #2
    You can certainly drink the tap water on Thomsons ships, though it might not taste that good. I think you can always get drinking water for free, so long as you're happy to get it by the glass from a container, rather than have it by the bottle.

    It's a few years since we cruised on Destiny, but I can't remember any specific problems with noise. We're just back from two weeks on Thomson Celebration, and we didn't even notice the infamous vibration much, though I know it seems to bother a lot of people.

    I suggest trying an outside cabin. We always had an inside until we got a free upgrade one year. We've never been back to an inside again!
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by CarpeDiem, Manchester View Post
      Hi

      We are previous Ocean Village cruisers and as they are going are looking for a replacement operator so are thinking of trying Thomsons in September - one thing - can you drink the tap water ? My hubby drinks gallons and gallons of water !! and I see you have to pay for water - on OV the tap water was fine to drink so saved us a fortune.

      As it's our 1st time with Thomsons - we are thinking of Destiny for the cruise - any advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be having an inside cabin - basically we use it to sleep, wash and change in ! but is it a problem with noise on Destiny on the lower decks....

      PLEASE get back to me with anything you can recommend or advise to steer clear of....

      Carrol
      The water is fine it is loaded in port so is the same as any local water so expect the usual tummy jip that you get whenever you change to another source.

      That includes if you move around UK so it is not at all unusual.

      When a ship is at sea for long periods they use reverse osmosis to produce cat 1 wholesome water. However this should not be consumed for long periods as it contains no minerals so has them added by another process. If on a long run between ports drink bottled water.

      Comment


        #4
        I too, drink lots of water. My trick is to buy the first 2 bottles from a supermarket before you board. Thereafter, I fill up the empty bottles with water in the dining room whilst at breakfast then again later on if needs be. There is always somewhere on board ship where you can get a drink of water-just put the bottle under the tap instead of a glass.
        Jill

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
          I too, drink lots of water. My trick is to buy the first 2 bottles from a supermarket before you board. Thereafter, I fill up the empty bottles with water in the dining room whilst at breakfast then again later on if needs be. There is always somewhere on board ship where you can get a drink of water-just put the bottle under the tap instead of a glass.
          The water on Thomsons ships is perfectly drinkable. Cannot remember about filling up the bottles from the Self Service, as we bought bottled water, we had heard it helped, with the swelling of the feet my wife suffers when on board cruise ships.
          However if my memory serves me right, you are not allowed to fill bottles up on P&O ships from the dining room, health reasons are given as to why.
          Delboy


          Photo Albums

          https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

          or

          https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
            The water on Thomsons ships is perfectly drinkable. Cannot remember about filling up the bottles from the Self Service, as we bought bottled water, we had heard it helped, with the swelling of the feet my wife suffers when on board cruise ships.
            However if my memory serves me right, you are not allowed to fill bottles up on P&O ships from the dining room, health reasons are given as to why.
            Put slices of lemon or limes in that bottled water and it will help reduce her swelling. Both are a natural diuretic.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA View Post
              Put slices of lemon or limes in that bottled water and it will help reduce her swelling. Both are a natural diuretic.
              Arr the scurvy Jim lad ;) :D


              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
                Arr the scurvy Jim lad ;) :D



                Aye Aye matey, that too. Both are packed with Vitamin C :D

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA View Post
                  Aye Aye matey, that too. Both are packed with Vitamin C :D
                  46mg of Vit C per 100g Lemon juice
                  29mg of Vit C per 100g Lime juice

                  Compared to 1150 - 2500mg of Vit C per 100g of Rosehips ~ That's why Rosehip syrup was common whilst rationing prevailed.
                  We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    [QUOTE=Shelledpea, Stalybridge, nr Manchester;110663]46mg of Vit C per 100g Lemon juice
                    29mg of Vit C per 100g Lime juice

                    Compared to 1150 - 2500mg of Vit C per 100g of Rosehips ~ That's why Rosehip syrup was common whilst rationing prevailed.[/QUOTE


                    Shelley, you amaze me with your general knowledge. You are far too young to know about ratioining. So am I as it happens. I only know what I've been told by my late parents.
                    Jill

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The potable water on all ships will most likely ALL be coming from the same tanks.

                      So the water in the cabin, the dining rooms and the ice will all be the same.

                      They take water on in ports and make their own with evaporators and reverse osmosis to add extra.


                      Filling your own water botles in public places is not the done thing it risks contamination of the equipment.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Shelledpea, Stalybridge, nr Manchester View Post
                        46mg of Vit C per 100g Lemon juice
                        29mg of Vit C per 100g Lime juice

                        Compared to 1150 - 2500mg of Vit C per 100g of Rosehips ~ That's why Rosehip syrup was common whilst rationing prevailed.
                        That's very useful information Shell, is Rosehip syrup still available in shops?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Phil McAvity, CrinklyBottom
                          That's an easy and very antisocial way to spread norovirus or whatever.
                          All it takes is the bottle to touch the spout - which it can easily do as the bottle is taller than a glass - and you have instant virus or bacteria transfer to all subsequent users drinks.
                          You cannot sterilise your bottle properly so it WILL be contaminated inside and out with something bad just from you previously drinking from it.

                          You aren't also the lady I saw in the buffet putting her hand palm down on all the stacks of plates to see which was the warmest for her breakfast are you?
                          I am aware of contaminating others and so was very careful how I filled the bottle.
                          As for cross contamination and Norovirus, that as you know, is a minefield and has been covered extensively on this forum.
                          Jill

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Shelledpea, Stalybridge, nr Manchester View Post
                            46mg of Vit C per 100g Lemon juice
                            29mg of Vit C per 100g Lime juice

                            Compared to 1150 - 2500mg of Vit C per 100g of Rosehips ~ That's why Rosehip syrup was common whilst rationing prevailed.
                            Beer contains 0mg of vitamin C but sure tastes good.
                            Last edited by Old Sea Dog, Stockport; 26th July 2010, 10:08 AM.
                            Our cruising days are over now.................

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Phil McAvity, CrinklyBottom
                              Personally I would not take the risk of contaminating the machine, all it would take is someone to nudge my elbow or whatever and the water dispenser would be infected.
                              What would one do then? Contact the crew and confess, or walk away and hope no one noticed?

                              There are usually notices posted adjacent to the machine prohibiting filling of water bottles, or does that only apply to other people?

                              If we are to consider ourselves law abiding people it means we cannot choose which laws we choose to obey..................

                              I am rather surprised anyone would admit on here to a breach of good hygiene regulations which could have fatal consequences for vulnerable folk.
                              Point taken. Despite cleaning the bottle and removing the squirty cap, that is obviously not enough then.

                              I have never considered myself anti-social, selfish or uncaring.
                              Now that you have told me that I am all three, I will obviously have to mend my ways.
                              BTW, I didn't see any notice and had I done so, being a law abiding person, I would have complied.

                              I would also like to add that lots of people were doing it, including the crew, so I guess not all ships sing from the song sheet.
                              Last edited by Smith7; 26th July 2010, 09:50 AM.
                              Jill

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X