• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brexit Fake News from Michael Bayley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George, Gateshead (3) View Post
    Don't want to start another debate on Brexit as we will find out who was right, but reading in local paper a German cancer researcher one of the top three in the world is leaving Newcastle and going to work in Holland all due to Brexit he also said a lot off others are keeping their opinions open and will probably do the same as they do not see the UK Government will be able to give them the same money they get from Europe. Just another thing that was never mentioned.

Funding dried up the day after the vote, for people looking for funded research jobs in the UK it got very hard very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
      Funding dried up the day after the vote, for people looking for funded research jobs in the UK it got very hard very quickly.
      Fake news..the UK was awarded the most in Europe last year.

Boost for hopes of post-Brexit co-operation as*EU awards Britain more research grants than anywhere else

Regards
      Garfield

Comment

A suggestion. If this is to become a Brexit post can we only add new points and not keep re-hashing the same old stuff that has been regurgitated many, many times since the referendum. Also make them factual rather than Project Fear II hypothetical.

Please, please, please.

A new point (I hope). There seems to be signs of fracture in the unanimity of the members countries with several reportedly not at all happy with Michel Barnier's "kick donkey" threats last week. Maybe some members are now realising they need us as much, or even more, than we need them.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
          A suggestion. If this is to become a Brexit post can we only add new points and not keep re-hashing the same old stuff that has been regurgitated many, many times since the referendum. Also make them factual rather than Project Fear II hypothetical.

Please, please, please.

A new point (I hope). There seems to be signs of fracture in the unanimity of the members countries with several reportedly not at all happy with Michel Barnier's "kick donkey" threats last week. Maybe some members are now realising they need us as much, or even more, than we need them.
          I agree

Preferably new points relating to any possible impact on cruising.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
            Fake news..the UK was awarded the most in Europe last year.

Boost for hopes of post-Brexit co-operation as*EU awards Britain more research grants than anywhere else

Regards
            Garfield
            Some of those looking for jobs last year will tell you different.

Comment

The man has been in this country for nearly 20yrs. Now I'm ignorant on this subject but seems Newcaste is well known for cancer research and seem to get the best to come here but for how much longer.

Comment

Don't want to start another debate on Brexit as we will find out who was right, but reading in local paper a German cancer researcher one of the top three in the world is leaving Newcastle and going to work in Holland all due to Brexit he also said a lot off others are keeping their opinions open and will probably do the same as they do not see the UK Government will be able to give them the same money they get from Europe. Just another thing that was neve mentioned.
                The man has been in this country for nearly 20yrs. Now I'm ignorant on this subject but seems Newcaste is well known for cancer research and seem to get the best to come here but for how much longer.
                Your initial post is rather misleading.
                Yes the professor is leaving for pastures new and yes the thought of the UK leaving the EU was ''on his mind'' as he made the decision but apparently the reason he is leaving is because of the pull of the new opportunity. Puts a slightly different slant on things.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

Please, please, please.

Re your first point on factual new points.

Why ask remainers to stick with factual points when the brexiteers insist that things will be better but never put out factual data to support that. Oh I suppose you could call the £350 million a week for the NHS as factual because Boris said so.

The remainers can see what free trade and credit union is worth - it is what we have now. As yet I haven't seen any credible factual source that says once we have no trade deal and customs union we will be better off, just the opposite.

So after Brexit:

Of course we would set our own standards for sales to our own countrymen, and even some non EU countries, but we would still need to meet the ongoing requirements of the EU27 if we want to continue to supply our products to our biggest customer. (factual)

Of course we would be in control of our own borders - but since 50% of those coming to the UK are not from the EU (factual) the effect will not be great, remembering that EU citizens will still be allowed in, just on the current system for the non-EU citizens.

So when Brexiteers accept that the promises of the leave campaigners were just as flawed as the "Project Fear" campaign's prophesies maybe we can start to come together and get a fair deal.

Project Fear 2, as you call it, is not new, it is just Project Fear 1 but on a much slower timescale - now calculated as a slow economy for the next 15 years. Of course Brexiteers pooh-poohed it as flawed, but I cannot find any credible alternative analysis.

Of course both sides are still entrenched, just as the NI politicians are in Stormont on their differences.

As for the unanimity of the 27, Get Real - do you know any large family that agrees on everything?

However they are a pseudo-family and they will combine as one against non-family members who challenge their "integrity" and "policies". They know where their best future lies and they certainly don't want any form of EU2, such as the EEA, that didn't align with the EU27 ( the EEA exists as a closely aligned to the EU group).

This could theoretically happen if several members of the EU27 left because they wanted to trade with the UK on easier terms than between the EU. I think not.

Cheers

Tony B
                  Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 14th February 2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                    Re your first point on factual new points.

Why ask remainers to stick with factual points when the brexiteers insist that things will be better but never put out factual data to support that. Oh I suppose you could call the £350 million a week for the NHS as factual because Boris said so.

The remainers can see what free trade and credit union is worth - it is what we have now. As yet I haven't seen any credible factual source that says once we have no trade deal and customs union we will be better off, just the opposite.

So after Brexit:

Of course we would set our own standards for sales to our own countrymen, and even some non EU countries, but we would still need to meet the ongoing requirements of the EU27 if we want to continue to supply our products to our biggest customer. (factual)

Of course we would be in control of our own borders - but since 50% of those coming to the UK are not from the EU (factual) the effect will not be great, remembering that EU citizens will still be allowed in, just on the current system for the non-EU citizens.

So when Brexiteers accept that the promises of the leave campaigners were just as flawed as the "Project Fear" campaign's prophesies maybe we can start to come together and get a fair deal.

Project Fear 2, as you call it, is not new, it is just Project Fear 1 but on a much slower timescale - now calculated as a slow economy for the next 15 years. Of course Brexiteers pooh-poohed it as flawed, but I cannot find any credible alternative analysis.

Of course both sides are still entrenched, just as the NI politicians are in Stormont on their differences.

As for the unanimity of the 27, Get Real - do you know any large family that agrees on everything?

However they are a pseudo-family and they will combine as one against non-family members who challenge their "integrity" and "policies". They know where their best future lies and they certainly don't want any form of EU2, such as the EEA, that didn't align with the EU27 ( the EEA exists as a closely aligned to the EU group).

This could theoretically happen if several members of the EU27 left because they wanted to trade with the UK on easier terms than between the EU. I think not.

Cheers

Tony B
                    Credit Union ?? Just as well I don't sit on that board

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                      Credit Union ?? Just as well I don't sit on that board

Annie
                      Sorry - Not obvious I know but I meant customs union

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                        Sorry - Not obvious I know but I meant customs union

Cheers

Tony B
                        I knew what you meant but it may not be obvious to everyone

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X