• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Caribbean Gratuities Increase effective January 2nd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Caribbean Gratuities Increase effective January 2nd

Hi All

Apologies if posted already.

Royal follow Celebrity with same increase in gratuities.

I wonder which cruise lines is next?

For a 14 day cruise family 4, that is a chunk of change.

Curious if that would make you reconsider cruise lines?

Annie

Or as in previous threads, consider/or remove gratuities and tip personally, or not as the case may be.

Comment

I factor in the cost of grats when booking; I know what the daily charge is and therefore how much to 'budget' for at the end of the cruise.

Comment

That's odd, I haven't had notification yet. I'm booked on RCI in February, and again in June.
        2018-
        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
          That's odd, I haven't had notification yet. I'm booked on RCI in February, and again in June.
          According to the threads on cc, your situation is not odd. Many have not been informed.

Annie

Comment

As most know my thoughts on this so no comment, BUT hope you all have a peaceful and happy Chrisrmas and after the new year we'll start the "friendly " discussion on grats. With new vigour ☃☃☃☃☃

Comment

Gratuities are one element of a cruise cost, what matters to us is the total cost of the holiday from the moment we lock the front door to when we unlock it on our return.

John

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                Hi All

Apologies if posted already.

Royal follow Celebrity with same increase in gratuities.

I wonder which cruise lines is next?

For a 14 day cruise family 4, that is a chunk of change.

Curious if that would make you reconsider cruise lines?

Annie
                That's nearly £700 for me and mine in gratuities alone for a fortnight in one cabin.

If a 4 berth is at full capacity for a year that's over £18,000 in gratuities.

If a mega ship has 5000 cabins (2000 family & 3000 double/single cabins on each ship) that's £36 million in family and £27 million other cabins

That's £63 MILLION in tips ... FOR ONE SHIP

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Comment

Which ship(s) has 5000 cabins?

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Which ship(s) has 5000 cabins?
                    My bad, I'm confusing passengers with cabins, still £30+ MILLION is still ALOT of gratuities.

Please accept my sincere apologies, I shall cut back on the sherry (next year)

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                      My bad, I'm confusing passengers with cabins, still £30+ MILLION is still ALOT of gratuities.

Please accept my sincere apologies, I shall cut back on the sherry (next year)
                      $15pppd on 5000 capacity ship will around $30m on declared occupancy at 110%

its a big number because it is a big ship with a lot of people that get a share.

That same ship will be generating £450-£500 million in revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        $15pppd on 5000 capacity ship will around $30m on declared occupancy at 110%

its a big number because it is a big ship with a lot of people that get a share.

That same ship will be generating £450-£500 million in revenue.
                        Mind you, a ship like 'Symphony of the Seas' must have some very big overheads (fuel etc.) and cost $1.35 billion to build.

I wonder how long it takes such a mega-ship to break even?
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X