• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy Ship Visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indy Ship Visit

I had the opportunity to visit Independence on Sunday, my first experience of a ship visit, and I was blown away to say the least! The day began with a long drive to Southampton starting at 5am. After arriving in Southampton, we boarded the ship just before 10am and were taken to have some refreshments before we started our tour.

The tour began with cabins, ranging from the beautiful Royal Suite to ocean view cabins. Afterwards, we were allowed to free-roam and visited the various attractions, bars and shops that the ship had to offer. We were very impressed with the variety of things to do and could only imagine how much fun all the children have on these ships!

After an hour of exploring the ship on our own, we headed to the King Lear for lunch where we served a four course meal with wine. I have had issues when dining out before as I am Coeliac, which means I cannot eat wheat, gluten or barley. However, the King Lear presented me with stunning food across all four courses, which was lovely to see how well they accommodate for those who do have allergies when dining. The staff were pleasant and friendly to talk to. After enjoying our meals, our ship visit came to end, and we disembarked the ship.

Overall, the ship visit was fantastic. I was amazed as this was my first ship visit and it makes me even more excited for my first cruise! We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it was a great day out to visit the refurbished Independence of the Seas.

Glad you had a good time on Indy, she certainly looks the business Have you got any pictures?.......................................Ca rol

Comment

Pleased you enjoyed your visit Amar, I wish more ships would do this in Port of Tyne. Its a great way to see if that cruise ship is suitable for you. Where are you off to and what ship are you going on? Jan.

Comment

Hi Amar
        Glad you enjoyed your visit..we're on Indy soon but won't be getting anywhere near the Royal Suite.
        Our 4th cruise on her.
        Regards
        Garfield

Comment

Has it given you the bug yet enough to want to book a cruise! Whilst a day just gives you a taste of whats on offer, the daily entertainment evening shows, bars, bands and entertainment are all yet to be experienced.

I see you mention food - one of the ladies assigned to our dining table had Coeliac and I was really impressed how each evening the maître D would come over and present her with a menu for the next day, so she could make some choices and the food would be prepared for her without fuss. They really do go the extra mile.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
            Glad you had a good time on Indy, she certainly looks the business Have you got any pictures?.......................................Ca rol
            Here's a few that were taken that day!

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
              Pleased you enjoyed your visit Amar, I wish more ships would do this in Port of Tyne. Its a great way to see if that cruise ship is suitable for you. Where are you off to and what ship are you going on? Jan.
              I'm not off on a cruise quite yet, but I'm hoping I will be soon! What cruise line and ship have you had the best times on?

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                Hi Amar
                Glad you enjoyed your visit..we're on Indy soon but won't be getting anywhere near the Royal Suite.
                Our 4th cruise on her.
                Regards
                Garfield
                I hope you have a great time Garfield!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  Has it given you the bug yet enough to want to book a cruise! Whilst a day just gives you a taste of whats on offer, the daily entertainment evening shows, bars, bands and entertainment are all yet to be experienced.

I see you mention food - one of the ladies assigned to our dining table had Coeliac and I was really impressed how each evening the maître D would come over and present her with a menu for the next day, so she could make some choices and the food would be prepared for her without fuss. They really do go the extra mile.
                  We never wanted to leave the ship! While we were touring, there were passengers continuously boarding and you could see how excited they all were!

That's great to hear, it really is nice to see how well they accommodate for people with food allergies which makes that cruising experience even more enjoyable.

Comment

Hi Amar, I used to be a massive fan of Celebrity cruises for glamour, And Fred Olsen for the quieter life, But I think the best entertainment was on Thomson ships. (Marella) Each to their own though, I would love to have the money to try out EVERY cruiseline, Now that would be a dream come true.!! Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar, Cruise Co View Post
                      Overall, the ship visit was fantastic. I was amazed as this was my first ship visit and it makes me even more excited for my first cruise!
                      Hi Amar, glad that you enjoyed the experience. However if you thought that was amazing, you should see RCI's bigger 'Oasis' class. It has many of the same ideas (a Royal Promenade etc.) for example, then some!

Wait to you experience one of these leviathans actually moving!

NCL's big new ship (Breakaway/Plus class) are interestingly different to RCI's.

However, don't underestimate the attractiveness and friendliness of the many smaller ships out there. Not everybody wants to share their holiday with 4,000 (or more) fellow passengers, on-board a floating shopping Mall.

Also don't assume that river cruising is second rate to ocean cruising and boring!
                      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 8th August 2018, 07:48 PM.
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                        Hi Amar, I used to be a massive fan of Celebrity cruises for glamour, And Fred Olsen for the quieter life, But I think the best entertainment was on Thomson ships. (Marella) Each to their own though, I would love to have the money to try out EVERY cruiseline, Now that would be a dream come true.!! Jan.
                        A nice variety there Jan! I'm sure you're not the only one who wishes that

Comment

I hope you have a great time Garfield!
                          Thanks Amar
                          We'll certainly do our best..
                          Regards
                          Garfield

Comment

Here's a few that were taken that day!

It certainly looks different without any passengers. We took our grandchildren on a cruise to France and Ireland earlier this year. We were impressed with the refurbishment and we did have a good time but it felt very crowded.

Comment

Love Indy she was our first and second cruise and we are excited to have booked a third trip on her for later next year.
                              I am also ceoliac and can honestly say that I’ve never felt safer as on a Royal (or Celebrity) ship.
                              She is special x

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X