• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allure of the Seas - Final thoughts - Emma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allure of the Seas - Final thoughts - Emma

Now I am backin sunny England all I can do is day dream about the most fantastic cruise experience and week I have just had! Before I left for the trip I had a lot orpre conceptions, I haven’t normally been a fan of the bigger ships previouslyso I didn’t think this would be my favorite or that I would enjoy the ship asmuch as i have with previous ships also I have to say that I presumed the shipwould be busy and crammed which is a pet hate of mine on ships having to queue or fight for sunbeds. To my total surprise the Allure was the complete opposite, we never queued once whether it was to board, or when we were in aport of call it was always straight off and straight on no queues at all ever,the buffet restaurant always had tables whether it was for breakfast or for lunch you never had to circle the restaurant searching for a table and there were always plenty of sunbeds even on a sea day you could go onto deck at 1pm and still find a sunbed which I think is fantastic Royal Caribbean really have got a slick operation onboard!
    The entertainment was brilliant, my favorite area of the ship was Central Park, so beautiful and romantic even though I was with a group of 28 but I could seemyself and husband spending time in this area if we cruised together onboardwith the outdoor bar, cafe and various restaurants in the area.
    I could go on forever about this ship but I think you get the picture, I loved it, so much space it never once felt like you were on a ship with 6000 people, fantastic facilities and beautiful ports of call. I will be writing full reviews about all aspects on my blog with photos also so make sure you check it out! www.emmaoncruise.blogspot.com .
    If you ever have chance to cruise aboard the Oasis class go for it, you won’t regret it!
    Last edited by Emma, Cruise.co.uk; 12th December 2013, 12:54 PM.
    See something you like?

Dont hesitate to call me on 0800 408 6129, email me on and please visit my blog at for all the lastest cruise stories!

Originally posted by Emma, Cruise.co.uk View Post
    If you ever have chance to cruise aboard the Oasis class go for it, you won’t regret it!
    I did and I don't, Emma!

The very large size of the Oasis class allows the space to have unique features like Central Park, the Royal Prom. and the Aqua-Theatre.

As I have said before it does not matter how many passengers a ship carries, what is important is how much space each passenger gets.

Ship nerds only need read on:

There is a simple formula to calculate the space per passenger; gross tonnage (a measurement of internal volume not weight) divided by passenger capacity.

Oasis class (RC): 225,000 gt divided by 5,400 passengers = a passenger to space ratio of 41

Braemar (Olsen): 24,000 gt divided by 929 = 26

(I used the approx GT of each ship and lower berth passenger capacity)

So you can see that although Oasis is 25 times bigger (gt/internal volume) than Braemar, she only carries around 6 times more passengers (all approx figs). Oasis's passenger-to-space ratio is much more generous, than Braemar, based on standard occupancy.

So avoid those small crowded ships carrying under 1,000 passengers and pick a mega-ship!

LESSON OVER - CLASS DISMISSED!

(Footnote: Not all small ships are crowded. The premium ones can be very spacious).
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 12th December 2013, 03:18 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

ton·nage

1.the capacity of a merchant vessel, expressed either in units of weight, as deadweight tons, or of volume, as gross tons.

2.ships collectively considered with reference to their carrying capacity or together with their cargoes.

3.a duty on ships or boats at so much per ton of cargo or freight, or according to the capacity in tons.

Origin:
      1375–1425; late Middle English: duty < Old French. See ton1 , -ag

Whoever decided the word 'ton' should have two meanings in weight and volume needs shooting if they aren't already dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
        I did and I don't, Emma!

There is a simple formula to calculate the space per passenger; gross tonnage (a measurement of internal volume not weight) divided by passenger capacity.

Oasis class (RC): 225,000 gt divided by 5,400 passengers = a passenger to space ratio of 41

Braemar (Olsen): 24,000 gt divided by 929 = 26

(I used the approx GT of each ship and lower berth passenger capacity)
        So that makes QM2's ratio over 57 - may well take the cat with me to swing!

Comment

Thanks for your comments Emma as always fancied the Oasis class of ships but was worried about the number of passengers. Will definitely go and read your blog and see the photos.
          Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
            ton·nage

1.the capacity of a merchant vessel, expressed either in units of weight, as deadweight tons, or of volume, as gross tons.

2.ships collectively considered with reference to their carrying capacity or together with their cargoes.

3.a duty on ships or boats at so much per ton of cargo or freight, or according to the capacity in tons.

Origin:
            1375–1425; late Middle English: duty < Old French. See ton1 , -ag

Whoever decided the word 'ton' should have two meanings in weight and volume needs shooting if they aren't already dead.
            if it was only that easy,, many more usages, like energy "tons of TNT" or speed "ton up", than just weight and volume, even within a category it can have multiple values as in long or short Ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry, Hastings View Post
              So that makes QM2's ratio over 57 - may well take the cat with me to swing!
              Yes, harry - that's the difference between 'premium' and 'mass-market'.

There are some ships with a similar gross tonnage to the QM2's, that carry a 1,500 more passengers. That's also why you probably pay a higher fare, but it's worth it!
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                if it was only that easy,, many more usages, like energy "tons of TNT" or speed "ton up", than just weight and volume, even within a category it can have multiple values as in long or short Ton.
                Oh gawd ! No wonder I'm confused well they lost me yonks ago then though I do appreciate people who remind me how well I'm doing based on space per ton. When I get to one ton I'll let you know how cramped I felt ;)

Comment

Have added the Oasis class in the list for an experience of the Mega ships.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X