• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Icon class of ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Icon class of ship

Royal Caribbean Orders Pair of Icon-Class LNG and Fuel Cell Powered Ships - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

RCI has announced a new class of ship. It is good to see that the design is 'greener', but they are going to have a capacity of 5,000 passengers.

I did enjoy my time on Ovation, but I don't think that I want to sail on anything bigger than that. I went over to Southampton to take a look at Harmony - the size was unbelievable!
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

The cruise lines don't just want to save the planet!

I hear that LNG burns cleaner, so the advantage is engine maintenance is needed less regularly and in the longer term it is expected to be a cheaper fuel.

Not all ports will initially be able to provide LNG, so the new breed of ships (Carnival, AIDA. Costa, MSC, P&O and now RCI) can also burn conventional fuel.

Personally I am less concerned about the propulsion and fuel than I am what the on-board experience and facilities will be like. Although, I guess we will not be seeing 'Dynamic Dining'!

I guess NCL will be next to announce some big new LNG ships.
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 11th October 2016, 03:43 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

5,000 passengers? The phrase that comes to mind is "No way, Jose". Still there will be a lot of people who enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
        5,000 passengers? The phrase that comes to mind is "No way, Jose". Still there will be a lot of people who enjoy it.
        Same here. They are awesome to see from afar but I'm pretty sure we won't be sailing on anything so big even if it's packed with innovations.
        BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Hi Bigsis
          Ovation has a max capacity of 4900....so the extra 100 on the new ships probably won't make a lot of difference to the experience.

Regards
          Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
            Same here. They are awesome to see from afar but I'm pretty sure we won't be sailing on anything so big even if it's packed with innovations.
            The problem is that most smaller/older ships will be scrapped over the next ten years, so the available ships will effectively be getting bigger.

For example the next P&O ship will be 180,000 gross tons. Oriana,is 69,000.

The standard for future newbuilds appears to be 180-200,0000 gt, which is 5,000 plus passengers!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              The problem is that most smaller/older ships will be scrapped over the next ten years, so the available ships will effectively be getting bigger.

For example the next P&O ship will be 180,000 gross tons. Oriana,is 69,000.

The standard for future newbuilds appears to be 180-200,0000 gt, which is 5,000 plus passengers!
              I'm a small ship fan and happy that both Regent and Seabourn are still building small ships. Anything over around 700 passengers is a bit too big.

Comment

If you like smaller ships you need to start sailing on the lines that will be taking them off the big boys the sooner people support those lines the sooner they can buy the ships.

Same for local ports, support the ships that are there NOW and that will encourage more ships to come.

Comment

At least Olsen and CMV offer affordable cruises on smaller ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    At least Olsen and CMV offer affordable cruises on smaller ships.
                    Not for solos they don't

Occasionally, if they can't sell the cabins.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X