• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explorer of the Seas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer of the Seas

My Mum went on Explorer after her refit last year. They have done nothing but moan about the food and lack of seating in any of the bars or public spaces. I've never experienced this on any cruise I have been on. Is this a problem on Explorer?

Oh dear, that's a shame, I haven't been on Explorer, but I think quite a few ships have lack of seating inside, especially if the weather is bad .................................................. ................................................Ca rol

Comment

We found similar problems with Norwegian Epic. Never had a problem with MSC

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
        We found similar problems with Norwegian Epic. Never had a problem with MSC
        Agreed.

Annie

Comment

This is not a problem we've come across on the small ships.

Comment

This is a complex question: A ship that carries 4,000 passengers can actually be more spacious than one that carries 1,000 passengers, it depends on the design.

As a rule the mass market lines do pack more passengers onto their ships, especially in the School holidays.

It also depends how many passengers are booked onto the ship. Many cabins often have 3rd and 4th berths in cabins. However a four berth cabin may be sold to a 'couple' or it could be a couple with two kids. Passenger capacity is normally expressed as lower berths 2,000, all berths 3,000.

Ships built for hot climates (like most of RCI's ships) have a large amount of external space and facilities. If the weather is bad (i.e. sailing form the UK) the passengers are ALL forced inside.

The more up-market lines often have more spacious ships. For example the QM2 often carries half the passenger numbers that similar sized mass-market ships do.
            Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 26th August 2016, 10:00 PM.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We sailed from Barcelona to Dubai last year on Explorer and had a most enjoyable cruise. The food was very good an the ship dint eel crowded. The only place we sometimes struggled to find a seat was in the Schooner bar for the quiz.

Comment

With over a hundred new cabins added it is hardly surprising these ships are overcrowded.

I have been on six cruises on this class of ship prior to refits and never once found it difficult to find seats in bars, sunloungers or queue for ice show tickets.

RCI have added cabins to a number of their Voyager Class ships, but have added nothing to any other facilities.

You pays your money, you makes your etc. etc...............Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

We never had a problem finding sun beds when we sailed on explorer last June/July. Seats in the bars etc were tricky to come by but we didn't find that a major issue.
                  Here is my review. The conclusion is on page 2.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/1577-...-cruise-2.html

Comment

We've sailed on the Azura and enjoyed her but found the same problem with overcrowding in public areas especially during inclement weather.
                    We haven't sailed on the Explorer OTS but we have on her sister a couple of years ago (the Adventure OTS). She'd only just come out of a dry dock but was still not in all that great condition (worn carpets, musty smells and alot of corrosion evident about the ship). She was in dire need of not just a dry dock but a refit. I've noticed that the cruise companies have been shortening the dry dock periods for their ships over the past few years and I think it's beginning to show.

Cheers OSD
                    Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

This was a Canaries cruise with poor weather until the Canaries so everyone was packed inside so that was likely the problem. What is more disappointing is that they filled in the subsequent survey and never got any feedback or response what so ever

Comment

Originally posted by Philip, Nr Colchester View Post
                        My Mum went on Explorer after her refit last year. They have done nothing but moan about the food and lack of seating in any of the bars or public spaces. I've never experienced this on any cruise I have been on. Is this a problem on Explorer?
                        We sailed on Explorer November 2010 in and out of Bayonne, NJ. Going down to the Caribbean and the lack of seating was also our big moan about this ship. We had a mixture of freezing cold weather New York end and beautiful sunshine in the Caribbean. The weather made no difference and its the ships layout which I consider to blame. Typical RCI build where the spine of the ship is the main attraction (not the sea). Their obsession with Central Parks and Royal Promenades I believe is the main contributor. I consider it a massive waste of space.

The picture above is one I took and illustrates the problem perfectly. 4 decks taking up the same space right down the length of the ship.

www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

We always think the Royal Park and Promenades a waste of space too, there isn't enough space for all the people who want to see and join in the Disco's there and party nights, much the same with the Captain's speech although RCI seem to have moved these to the Theater recently, suppose it saves them money as when you are in your seat at the end of the row, you don't get up for a second drink!
                          Have often found there isn't enough seats when the weather isn't good, but I suppose it's much the same problem as not enough sunbeds when the weather is hot! At the end of the day the cruise lines just want to cram as many people on the ships and extract as much money as possible from them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                            We sailed from Barcelona to Dubai last year on Explorer and had a most enjoyable cruise. The food was very good an the ship dint eel crowded. The only place we sometimes struggled to find a seat was in the Schooner bar for the quiz.
                            I was on board the week before, from Southampton to Barcelona. The food was good, and the only times it felt crowded was in the usual hotspots, the Schooner Bar is always busy at quiztime.
                            2018-
                            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you