• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCI plans 5th Oasis Ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annie, Glasgow
    started a topic RCI plans 5th Oasis Ship

RCI plans 5th Oasis Ship

Hi All

I picked this up from Seatrade News:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/...tx-france.html

Annie

• cymrucruiser
    replied
    Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
    You are welcome, its surprising to find out who has actually been reading it. Annie included!!!
    We arrived back onboard ship at 1:30pm and although the Windjammer was open we didn't want to use it. As we wanted something more substantial than snacks we didn't consider the two venues you mentioned. We could have gone to the Solarium Bistro but on the occasions we walked through it was very warm in there (without looking too closely the food seemed to be the same as the Windjammer) so if you wanted complimentary dinning your options were limited. I can't recall the MDR on other cruises being shut as early as 1:30 and was surprised to find this was the case.
    Getting a hot drink and a seat was a real problem when the ship was busy. We discovered late on that Dazzles always had seats available and ended up taking our drinks there which we got from either from the Park Cafe or the Cafe Promenade. Sorrentos only had paper cups.

I had Voom and was able to load most of my photos (full size) each day to my Flickr Album. Very impressive.

I can't answer that, we looked around Wonderland it was a nice looking venue but we were deterred by the cover charge. Below is a copy of the menu if that is any use.

By Solarium do you mean the front partially covered section which we found really draughty. Its a nice big open space and will be popular in warmer climates.

If I am honest, I was concentrating more on getting into the tube. I will tell you its a quick drop and very thrilling. I do remember looking down quickly but I wasn't on the platform long enough to take it all in.

Our friends were on traditional dining in American Icon but we managed to get them in with us in Silk (Any Time), its the same menu in all three restaurants and on the two nights we dined there we had different waiters.

We didn't get round to investigating this but spoke to others who said it was good fun.

I can't say as I noticed any but then I wasn't really looking for them.

Its a lot to take in with just 4 days and I sure we still missed quite a bit. I believe we covered most parts and mainly concentrated on the areas which would interest us. Let me know if there is anything else I might be able to help with.

Thank you you for all of your answers (and to Harry too)
    wonderland looks all gimmicky and no substance in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Harry, Hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
    Oh and finally I've just remembered what I was going to ask you in the first place lol where were the cocoa cola freestyle machines located?
    Wansbrough has covered your other points but I noticed the cola machines in Sorrentos.

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    ive followed your blog whilst you where away and seen all of your photos. Thank you.
    You are welcome, its surprising to find out who has actually been reading it. Annie included!!!
    At one point you mentioned there was only one place open to get food at 1:30pm. Was Sorrentos and cafe promenade not open?
    We arrived back onboard ship at 1:30pm and although the Windjammer was open we didn't want to use it. As we wanted something more substantial than snacks we didn't consider the two venues you mentioned. We could have gone to the Solarium Bistro but on the occasions we walked through it was very warm in there (without looking too closely the food seemed to be the same as the Windjammer) so if you wanted complimentary dinning your options were limited. I can't recall the MDR on other cruises being shut as early as 1:30 and was surprised to find this was the case.
    Getting a hot drink and a seat was a real problem when the ship was busy. We discovered late on that Dazzles always had seats available and ended up taking our drinks there which we got from either from the Park Cafe or the Cafe Promenade. Sorrentos only had paper cups.

Did you have voom and if so what was it like?
    I had Voom and was able to load most of my photos (full size) each day to my Flickr Album. Very impressive.

Would someone (me lol) with a gluten allergy be able to eat in the likes of wonderland?
    I can't answer that, we looked around Wonderland it was a nice looking venue but we were deterred by the cover charge. Below is a copy of the menu if that is any use.

Theres been a lot of talk on CC about the solarium being disappointing. What did you think?
    By Solarium do you mean the front partially covered section which we found really draughty. Its a nice big open space and will be popular in warmer climates.

At the top of abyss is it obvious you are stepping/sliding off the back of the ship or is it enclosed?
    If I am honest, I was concentrating more on getting into the tube. I will tell you its a quick drop and very thrilling. I do remember looking down quickly but I wasn't on the platform long enough to take it all in.

What was the dining like where you move dining rooms with the same wait staff?
    Our friends were on traditional dining in American Icon but we managed to get them in with us in Silk (Any Time), its the same menu in all three restaurants and on the two nights we dined there we had different waiters.

Did you give the puzzle room a go or see what it was like?
    We didn't get round to investigating this but spoke to others who said it was good fun.

Oh and finally I've just remembered what I was going to ask you in the first place lol where were the cocoa cola freestyle machines located?
    I can't say as I noticed any but then I wasn't really looking for them.

Its a lot to take in with just 4 days and I sure we still missed quite a bit. I believe we covered most parts and mainly concentrated on the areas which would interest us. Let me know if there is anything else I might be able to help with.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Great photo's Wansbrough...........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• cymrucruiser
    replied
    Just got off the 4 nighter on Harmony. Yes there is still lots of work going on with apparently 227 workers still onboard. (Not sure about the 940 reported in an earlier post).

Zip line only opened up yesterday, none of the water slides are working and the Aqua Theatre isn't due to open until June. I anticipated it being some sort of shake down cruise didn't anticipate so much not being finished.
    Guest Services was very busy!!! Lots of people with cabin issues, plumbing appears to have been the worst with some with no water and others with Morse code noises after running the tap. Our shower stopped midway through my good lady taking one, luckily she hadn't started to wash her hair. It worked fine for me about 20 minutes later

We heard reports of someone with an inside cabin with no lights and no AC. Don't know how much truth there was in that.

One thing that was evident was the lack of crew, probably waiting for the workers to move out so they can come aboard.

We had to give her a go despite knowing she wasn't for us but we still had a great time.

Very inward orientated ship RCI produce...... not much connection with the sea......

Photos from the cruise >>>HERE<<<

ive followed your blog whilst you where away and seen all of your photos. Thank you.

At one point you mentioned there was only one place open to get food at 130pm. Was sorrentos and cafe promenade not open?
    Did you have voom and if so what was it like?
    Would someone (me lol) with a gluten allergy be able to eat in the likes of wonderland?
    Theres been a lot of talk on CC about the solarium being disappointing. What did you think?
    At the top of abyss is it obvious you are stepping/sliding off the back of the ship or is it enclosed?
    What was the dining like where you move dining rooms with the same wait staff?
    Did you give the puzzle room a go or see what it was like?

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Just got off the 4 nighter on Harmony. Yes there is still lots of work going on with apparently 227 workers still onboard. (Not sure about the 940 reported in an earlier post).

Zip line only opened up yesterday, none of the water slides are working and the Aqua Theatre isn't due to open until June. I anticipated it being some sort of shake down cruise didn't anticipate so much not being finished.
    Guest Services was very busy!!! Lots of people with cabin issues, plumbing appears to have been the worst with some with no water and others with Morse code noises after running the tap. Our shower stopped midway through my good lady taking one, luckily she hadn't started to wash her hair. It worked fine for me about 20 minutes later

We heard reports of someone with an inside cabin with no lights and no AC. Don't know how much truth there was in that.

One thing that was evident was the lack of crew, probably waiting for the workers to move out so they can come aboard.

We had to give her a go despite knowing she wasn't for us but we still had a great time.

Very inward orientated ship RCI produce...... not much connection with the sea......

Really enjoyed your blog.

Thanks

Annie

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
    It's almost as if they feel the sea is irrelevant.

Only the 'Radiance' (Brilliance etc.) class, with toms of glass and even sea views in some public toilets, has a very good connection with the sea for a relatively big ship.
    Possibly explains why they are struggling to fill the cabins on the Epic this summer?

I hope all these mega ships home port in either Asia, Australasia or the Americas on a permanent basis.

Just not the right ship type for Europe - JMO.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    [/URL]
    It's almost as if they feel the sea is irrelevant.

Only the 'Radiance' (Brilliance etc.) class, with toms of glass and even sea views in some public toilets, has a very good connection with the sea for a relatively big ship.

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied

Last edited by Wansbrough, North Somerset; 26th May 2016, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
    I've been lucky enough to visit or cruise on many ships, big, small, new and old. Oasis was definitely the most impressive ships that I have ever seen. The scale and range of facilities was of course excellent. Few other cruise lines have anything comparable.

The design of the 'Oasis' class is breath-taking, the entertainment was excellent and the food and service as good as you will get on a big mass-market ship. It rarely felt overcrowded and embarkation, disembarkation and visiting the ports was a breeze.

These big ships almost market themselves.

I'm not saying that it provided the 'best' experience, but it did provide a 'unique' one! I'm really glad that I experienced it - no regrets.
    I love that phrase Malcom, the ship provided a 'unique' but not the 'best' experience?

Fellow cruisers describe Epic and Harmony as 'Vegas at Sea' - sorry Vegas is better than Epic JMO and you can at least find a seat

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Harry, Hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    How disappointing for people going on a maiden voyage, and the ship still being completed around them.
    That was another strange thing. Apparently this was a 'preview cruise' which was mentioned at every possible opportunity. I think this was partly to placate the people who had booked early on for the Soton - Barcelona trip and were told it was the 'maiden voyage'.

Also, the more they said it the more they hoped people would believe it and 'understand' why so much was not completed - wrong! It was never sold as a 'preview cruise' - if it had it should been at near giveaway rates.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Miami has a few smaller ships doing short runs, RCI Majesty(2400), NCL Sky(2000)

American cruise Lines runs 4 baby ships 100pax from various US port.

Windstar service from the Caribbean(no mainland) a bit but mainly all over the world.

We do have an abundance of older smaller budget ships to pick.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    I think we are really lucky in the UK at present, as UK ports are being well-served by many Mega-ships, yet we have regional access to CMV, Fred Olsen and Saga's fleets.

The beauty of CMV and Olsen etc. is that they do not charge premium prices for their charming little ships.

Unless I'm mistaken, us ports are generally only served by bigger ships these days - with a few 5-6 star exceptions.

(Let's not forget Thomson's fleet of small ships, mainly offering fly-cruises at present).

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    When it comes to build costs bigger does not always mean cheaper.

Examples of those in the last few years

Oasis and Allure were around $240k per berth(5400)
    Anthem(4200) $227k Quantum(4100) $231k and Harmony(6400) $212k

Royal P & Britania at 3600pax clocked in at $175k with Regal P at $211k

OCeania Marina & Riviera 1300pax at $370k

Seabourn spend around $540k per berth

top of the list is the new Regent Explorer $609k

if you go back a generation to 2005-2010 builds
    Independence(2008)(3600) $190k , NCL Gem(2007)(2400) $110k, QE(2010)(2100) $276k

MSC seems to knock them out around $120k-$145k

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X