• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCI plans 5th Oasis Ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCI plans 5th Oasis Ship

Hi All

I picked this up from Seatrade News:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/...tx-france.html

Annie

Well spotted Annie!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

It shows that there is definitely a market for these mega ships. Yes Harmony has been well recieved just a shame they didn't finish her before allowing paying guests on board. Some areas no access and 900 workers on board, no wonder they didn't release a last minute block of cabins lol.

Note re to self don't book on it out of Europe when it's bound to sail from Southampton first!

Strange though not an oasis class in Europe for 2017. Anyone know why?
      Last edited by cymrucruiser; 26th May 2016, 02:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

This is becoming standard practice for RCI get paying people on the ships ASAP and finish the work around them.

They do it before and after dry docks as well now.

Expect construction and venues closed if a a ship is new or heading in/out of dry dock.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
          It shows that there is definitely a market for these mega ships. Yes Harmony has been well recieved just a shame they didn't finish her before allowing paying guests on board. Some areas no access and 900 workers on board, no wonder they didn't release a last minute block of cabins lol.

Note re to self don't book on it out of Europe when it's bound to sail from Southampton first!

Strange mot mot an oasis class in Europe for 2017. Anyone know why?
          Is there a genuine market or are the cruise lines trying to create a market??

I think these mega ships need very good weather - they are not designed to cope with thousands of passengers indoors - the Achilles heel?? Maybe the reason Europe will escape this vessel.

Another RCI screw-up they launch an incomplete vessel - they never learn do they??

Annie

Comment

The main problem is they still build in France.

If you want a proper finished ship get it built by MEYER WERFT

(but size is an issue)

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

(but size is an issue)
              Point taken and it is the French who are building again.

Annie

Comment

Too true! We didn't have the problems on Ovation that they seem to be having on Harmony.

I had had another email from a friend on board Harmony. She has made numerous complaints and is being given a discount on the cruise. She also cancelled her Navigator sailing in November, and has managed to get a refund of the deposit!

I think cancelling the cruise on a smaller, older ship was a bit hasty, but that's her choice.

I've ticked 'maiden voyage' off of my bucket list. I'll watch the prices when the new ships are launched and book if a reasonable deal comes up. I should be retired by then, so won't have issues around booking leave.

Maybe I should be more vocal about my gripes, then I might get a discount. I just thought that the issues I had on Ovation were too minor/petty to complain about. Not getting my 'welcome back' gift and petits fours until a few days into the cruise was hardly a deal breaker.

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

(but size is an issue)
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We got 20% future cruise credit from the Oasis trip
                  Friends on Allure got compensation
                  Other trips people have got significant compensation

RCI know what they are doing and hope people won't complain

Make a list of all areas where they failed to deliver what you bought and send it off to RCI and ABTA. and if booked through a TA get them on the case as well they should be helping stamp out the dodgy practices.

Cruise lines fail to notify "promptly" when your cruise will be disrupted or lacking features promised.

They are acting like the days of package holidays when hotels were not finished, this is why we have the ABTA code of conduct and package holiday regulations.

Cruise lines need a good spanking to get their house in order.
                  (Thomson cruise have been hit by abta a few time but not the big boys)

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    Is there a genuine market or are the cruise lines trying to create a market??

I think these mega ships need very good weather - they are not designed to cope with thousands of passengers indoors - the Achilles heel?? Maybe the reason Europe will escape this vessel.

Another RCI screw-up they launch an incomplete vessel - they never learn do they??

Annie
                    I believe they are just trying to regenerate what Billy Butlin did in the 50's & 60's, a modern version of the Holiday Camp.

With the limited ports these mega ships can visit, I do wonder how long the novelty will last, in particular cruises from Southampton ..........Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

How disappointing for people going on a maiden voyage, and the ship still being completed around them.

Ovation looked pretty good, but there was no water in the pools at the front, which was a shame because it was a very pretty area, I don't know why the pools weren't filled............................................ ...................Carol

Comment

Elsewhere there has been discussion about new builds for Azamara and or new ships, this announcement would seem to indicate the direction that the corporate capital is being directed, the cost per head must be considerably less than for a small 600 passenger ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                          Elsewhere there has been discussion about new builds for Azamara and or new ships, this announcement would seem to indicate the direction that the corporate capital is being directed, the cost per head must be considerably less than for a small 600 passenger ship.
                          Horses for course Mr/Ms Haworth. Little ships (600ish) are still be built, but yes, they are very expensive per head and the prices of cruises reflect this. I preferred the yachts at 200 guests and a guest to crew ratio of nearly 1:1, but those days have mostly gone. Our big ships have 400 guests. There are still ships to suit everyone.

Comment

I've been lucky enough to visit or cruise on many ships, big, small, new and old. Oasis was definitely the most impressive ships that I have ever seen. The scale and range of facilities was of course excellent. Few other cruise lines have anything comparable.

The design of the 'Oasis' class is breath-taking, the entertainment was excellent and the food and service as good as you will get on a big mass-market ship. It rarely felt overcrowded and embarkation, disembarkation and visiting the ports was a breeze.

These big ships almost market themselves.

I'm not saying that it provided the 'best' experience, but it did provide a 'unique' one! I'm really glad that I experienced it - no regrets.
                            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                              Horses for course Mr/Ms Haworth. Little ships (600ish) are still be built, but yes, they are very expensive per head and the prices of cruises reflect this. I preferred the yachts at 200 guests and a guest to crew ratio of nearly 1:1, but those days have mostly gone. Our big ships have 400 guests. There are still ships to suit everyone.
                              Just to clarify my point I was referring to Royal Caribean as a corporate entity and not other groups such as Carnival who continue to invest in Seabourn although their next ship will be the largest yet at around 600 passengers.

As to the " mega ships" such as Harmony of the Seas I/we will try them some time as I think it would be a different but still excellent experience.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X