• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Caribbean Increasing Gratuities May 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
    Hi Taffy, We have had many conversations with the ships staff regarding their pay levels. The question we ask is how long have you worked on the cruise lines. A number of the staff had served many years on the ships. On asking why do you stay the answer being "Good Wages". Enough said.
    It must be me but I have never had any conversation with any of the crew re salaries. However I don't have such conversations with hotel staff either

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
      Hi Taffy, We have had many conversations with the ships staff regarding their pay levels. The question we ask is how long have you worked on the cruise lines. A number of the staff had served many years on the ships. On asking why do you stay the answer being "Good Wages". Enough said.
      I agree I have never found out the amount they earn ,none of my business .

The auto and pre paid tips were my concern and I did ask if the al went to the staff ,and the answer was always yes they do and the crew prefer that method to getting large amounts of cash ,the money get transferred into there back accounts.
      Lots of the crew members I have spoken with have worked for years some for the same cruise line ,others move around the cruise lines...Taffy
      ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
        I agree I have never found out the amount they earn ,none of my business .

The auto and pre paid tips were my concern and I did ask if the al went to the staff ,and the answer was always yes they do and the crew prefer that method to getting large amounts of cash ,the money get transferred into there back accounts.
        Lots of the crew members I have spoken with have worked for years some for the same cruise line ,others move around the cruise lines...Taffy
        This is where an All In heads up price wins every time. Does anyone question who gets what on Thomson?

Does anyone care how the Thomson staff wage and built in grats gets administered? What is the problem with an All In heads up price?...........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

This will be another nail in the tips coffin. Why should we be told what the service is worth? Why should you have to tip anyway? Is it "tradition" or custom and practice, or tight bottomed cruise lines making us pay the wages via the back door? I always take my tips off when i board, and pay according to the value received at the end. And for the record some have had nothing because that's exactly what they deserved. Others on the other hand have done well.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            It must be me but I have never had any conversation with any of the crew re salaries. However I don't have such conversations with hotel staff either

Annie
            Hi Annie, Perhaps my post was worded wrong. Our intentions when conversing with ships staff is to get to know them better which does help when their hard work is recognised. We have never asked about staff salaries. This subject seems to raise it's head by the staff when asking how long they have worked for the cruise lines and what attracts them to do this type of work. One example was on the Celebrity Eclipse. Our head waiter was excellent and when asked did he enjoy working on the cruise lines he replied ' yes very much and the pay is good'. The conversation was about him not his salary. sorry
            Last edited by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster; 30th March 2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Hi Neil

I wish I could believe you.

'...... Should and would......' ? Evidence please.

I believe the cruise lines would pocket the additional revenue - cynic that I am.

Annie

PS For the record I either prepay or auto-grat whichever is cheapest.
              Sorry, Annie but there is no way I could produce any evidence and your cynicism is expected, I say that in a respectful way BTW.

Marketing is a strange game but it is played by every business worth its salt. With cruising the main plan is to make that initial price look as low as possible to tempt the punters in. This is why gratuities exist because they can be looked on as a realistic extra but not mentioned up front.

If the cruise lines, or to be more straightforward the Bean-counters, need to make a price look attractive then so long as they don't suffer too much they "would and should" tighten the headline price to attract passengers. The very fact that no one skips payment this way and no one reduces the tipping rate means that the amount coming in would be considerably enhanced therefore there is leeway for that "fee" to be lessened.

The fact that cruise lines are biting the bullet and saying the charge is now official and we will call it a "Service Charge" is the sign of a real seed change. Our cruises have to be paid for and the costs have to be covered so to be viable a certain amount of money has to be found to cover the costs. Cruise lines currently prevaricate and use all sorts of methods to make sure the cost of running a cruise happens.

Marketing is a convoluted area with so many side angles and let outs but I seriously believe that what I said, "The Should and Would" factor is a viable one. ......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                I am on of those poor pensioners,but I tip fairly and as i see fit and i will not have my arm twisted by the cruise lines by being told I must pre pay.
                If tips/grats are added to the price of the cruise,then I will decide on what cruises I will go on ,or decide against further cruises,
                jim
                I have to say Jim, that the "Poorly paid pensioner" angle hold no water as far as I am concerned. If you are going to underpay a person serving you on the basis that you are too poor to pay the suggested rate then I have only one thing to say.....Stop Cruising and spend what money you have on other things....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                  It all depends on how many of the crew get a share ,plenty of those staff are salaried ,the singers and dancers musicians ect are not in the tipping pool.
                  The cruise lines use to tell us where these tip went too and how much each person got.
                  On our last P&O cruise we paid £5 pp per day as far as P&O say they divide it between waiter ,asst waiter and head waiter, plus your cabin steward (There seems to be no asst stewards) If your cabin steward does 18 cabins and they all pay up they are on a good wage
                  Say £2 pppd so £4 x7x18 =£504 per week .
                  Just looked at a junior chefs job they get around £1250 per month plus keep and if they are UK based they get the tax refunded as they earn the money out of the country....Taffy
                  Taffy, on many cruise lines there are assistant cabin stewards, the actual cabin steward will often give a back-hander to other members of staff to help them, particularly on busy days.

I would be willing to bet that only the cream of the waiting staff make the amount you suggest and these are the guys and gals who spend up to nine months away from their families so that they can enjoy a better life style. There are no end of problems that come along with a long contract and I would say that they earn every penny of it. Our, and to a large degree, their main problem is this ridiculous gratuity system which allows such a variation of income and that is what we must try to change. ......Neil

Comment

The whole of this problem stems from the American way of dealing with "Serving/waiting" staff. In the States they consider that in order to get their employees to work to the best of their ability there has to be incentives offered. The waiting staff have since year dot be paid a very minimal amount and they are expected to earn their keep by enticing customers to tip heavily.

It is a pathetic system where incentives are actually necessary. Good staff and good management should solve all these problems and staff doing their best because they have a pride in what they do and what they are paid. The American system allows staff to be exploited just to make the menu prices to look lower than they really should do. That is why I say their system is pathetic and bullying. ......Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X