• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Caribbean Increasing Gratuities May 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Caribbean Increasing Gratuities May 1st

Hi all

A 55 cent increase in the daily gratuity rate.

Suites now $16.50

Other cabins $13.50

If you prepay gratuities before April 14th, the old rate applies.

Annie

Hope one you give us some good news Annie

Wonder just how far they can increase them before people cancel or refuse pay the full amount....Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

Fair enough increasing them if really need to. But they should honour the existing rates to folk who have already booked regardless of when the rate increases for new bookings. Or is it 'coz so many folks don't bother that mugs like me get stung with increases for doing the decent thing and paying them without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
        Hope one you give us some good news Annie

Wonder just how far they can increase them before people cancel or refuse pay the full amount....Taffy
        I was thinking the same Taffy.

With the relative low value of sterling, the service charge/gratuity for a family of 4 on a 14 day cruise totals over £500 - ouch!

Some Americans say they tip extra

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
          Fair enough increasing them if really need to. But they should honour the existing rates to folk who have already booked regardless of when the rate increases for new bookings. Or is it 'coz so many folks don't bother that mugs like me get stung with increases for doing the decent thing and paying them without question.
          Hi

Many feel the same.

On the majority of my cruises, I try and 'persuade' a TA to make a contribution to them.

Annie

Comment

It will just mean even longer Queue's for "Those Who Wish To Tip Personally"...........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Gratuities will soon cost more than the cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                Gratuities will soon cost more than the cruise.
                You could be right if you add on $92 per day for a Drinks Package.................Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  It will just mean even longer Queue's for "Those Who Wish To Tip Personally"...........Wilba
                  And why not Wilba. Still not compulsory. As one would say 'they are starting to push the boat out' on gratuities. It does not seem much 50 cents but times that by say 3500 passengers for a 7 day cruise is $12250 increase. Based on $13.50 per day is now $330750 for a 7 day cruise. If , for example, you work out how much say 1500 crew would get per week that equates to $220 each. That is if passengers paid their dues. Not bad.

Comment

I just had a text offering Navigator of the Seas in October for 7 nights from £399! Perhaps all the prices will come down and they will charge more for tips!............................................. ............................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                      And why not Wilba. Still not compulsory. As one would say 'they are starting to push the boat out' on gratuities. It does not seem much 50 cents but times that by say 3500 passengers for a 7 day cruise is $12250 increase. Based on $13.50 per day is now $330750 for a 7 day cruise. If , for example, you work out how much say 1500 crew would get per week that equates to $220 each. That is if passengers paid their dues. Not bad.
                      I'm not disagreeing with you, just emphasising how farcical the whole tipping/increase thing is.............Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                        I just had a text offering Navigator of the Seas in October for 7 nights from £399! Perhaps all the prices will come down and they will charge more for tips!............................................. ............................Carol
                        and drinks

Not unlike some airlines, low fares and loads of extra

Unsure if the fares will come down much in the peak holiday period - they may do if the Americans stop travelling.

Annie

Comment

In the past I could be called a fan of RCI as I was impressed with their WOW factor compared to the British staid and stately cruiselines, but when they started building Monstrosity Holiday Camps of the Seas I felt it time to move on.

With increases in Drinks, Grats, Shuttles etc; they like their sister company Celebrity have found a niche at the rear of my back burner..........Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            I'm not disagreeing with you, just emphasising how farcical the whole tipping/increase thing is.............Wilba
                            Agree with you Wilba. It is all an unnecessary pain up the unmentionable. Who does pay, who should pay, who isn't paying, what you are if you don't pay, queue at the pursers desk. In my opinion there is only one way to deal with this and that is having passengers agree at the time of booking a cruise to pay gratuities by signing to that effect. This would give the cruise line full authority to charge the onboard accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                              Agree with you Wilba. It is all an unnecessary pain up the unmentionable. Who does pay, who should pay, who isn't paying, what you are if you don't pay, queue at the pursers desk. In my opinion there is only one way to deal with this and that is having passengers agree at the time of booking a cruise to pay gratuities by signing to that effect. This would give the cruise line full authority to charge the onboard accounts.
                              PITA is a useful acronym - cuts down on the typing too.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X