• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthem of the Seas to leave UK after maiden season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
    Most young people can't afford to cruise on RCI and most hard working young families with kids can't splash out £6k+ for a 14 night cruise. If they wanted to attract families on to their ships they would offer 3rd and 4th passenger offers.

    RCI charge the same price for one four berth or two two berth cabins, which discourages working class families.

    Even I draw the line at paying £3k for my two kidsto go on holiday, it's ridiculous!
    Couldn't agrees more. I looked intially at Anthem on brochure release and was aghast at the price for an August 14 night cruise for a 3 berth. !!!

    Although I have been on Oasis, Navigator and Vision I am a P&O devotee and settled on Britannia for 3k less !!!

    regards

    dave
    Cruised on;
    Carnival Sensation Sep 99
    P&O Oceana May 04
    P&O Oriana Sep 05
    P&O Oriana Nov 05
    P&O Aurora Oct 07
    P&O Ventura May 08
    P&O Oriana Dec 08
    P&O Ventura May 09
    Cunard Queen Victoria Aug 09
    RCI Oasis of the Seas Oct 09
    RCI Vision of the Seas May 10
    RCI Navigator of the Seas Oct 10
    P&O Azura May 11
    P&O Ventura Aug 12
    MSC Splendida Oct 12
    P&O Ventura Oct13
    P&O Oceana Dec 14

    To Cruise on;
    P&O Britannia Oct 15
    P&O Ventura Dec 16

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      And it would probably be the same price for a solo...... food for thought??

      BTW in the other place they claim that identical itineraries, same timeline RCI are charging 30% more in 2016 than in 2015.

      FO wants to charge £200 per day for a single inside cabin on some of its 2016 itineraries.

      If this upward hike continues across the industry, I will look at other holiday options.

      Annie

      If that becomes an industry standard, I will be switching back to

      It's all part of a fairly well organised joint effort by the cruiselines to shift expectations.

      Putting ridiculous prices on 2016 itineraries costs them little in reputational damage, as not many people will book this far out and those that do will often pay anything anyway. Once we get nearer the sailing time, the price will tumble.

      It's in the lines' interest to keep telling us how many new cruisers there are each year, but so long as the new cruisers are exceeded by 1 by the number of new berths available, the prices have to fall. The truth is we as punters benefit from the very long lead time to create capacity, and so far supply is outstripping demand, even though the lines are still making good money. The balance isn't so bad.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
        Our Anthem cruise is certainly our most expensive one yet, but it was a price we were willing to pay to experience a shiny new ship with all of the bells and whistles. Will I enjoy the Royal Caribbean experience? I don't know. I sure as hell hope the food is better than that on Splendour of the Seas (in the MDR).

        At the end of the day everyone makes a call as to what they're willing to pay for a particular ship, cabin, itinerary, and inclusive extras. Now that the 'free' drinks promotion has ended, the price for our cabin has dropped slightly, though as I'd have bought a package anyway we're still quids in.

        £4,600 for a 14-night cruise for 2 people is a lot of money, but I'm VERY excited about seeing Anthem and experiencing all she has to offer!
        I'm very jealous, and looking forward to hearing all about it. I would love to go on her, but opted for Britannia instead. I need a lottery win! .................................................. .................................................. .............Carol

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
          It's all part of a fairly well organised joint effort by the cruiselines to shift expectations.

          Putting ridiculous prices on 2016 itineraries costs them little in reputational damage, as not many people will book this far out and those that do will often pay anything anyway. Once we get nearer the sailing time, the price will tumble.

          It's in the lines' interest to keep telling us how many new cruisers there are each year, but so long as the new cruisers are exceeded by 1 by the number of new berths available, the prices have to fall. The truth is we as punters benefit from the very long lead time to create capacity, and so far supply is outstripping demand, even though the lines are still making good money. The balance isn't so bad.
          Sorry to say I disagree to an extent.

          I think the cruise lines will be happy to sail not a full capacity if sufficient numbers book at enhanced prices. Interestingly the American cruisers on cc think it will be the International or new cruisers who will be happy to pay the higher prices. Many of them are switching to land vacations. They don't like paying more than $100 pp pd in a balcony!

          Like many I have my per diem price that I will not exceed on value grounds.

          Annie
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th March 2015, 09:01 AM.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
            Most young people can't afford to cruise on RCI and most hard working young families with kids can't splash out £6k+ for a 14 night cruise. If they wanted to attract families on to their ships they would offer 3rd and 4th passenger offers.

            RCI charge the same price for one four berth or two two berth cabins, which discourages working class families.

            Even I draw the line at paying £3k for my two kidsto go on holiday, it's ridiculous!
            Where's the like button?

            I think that lots off families are struggling,with little or no pay rises and increasing cost ,there are not enough families with £6k to spend on holidays(around 25% of average pay) Dispite the claims that incomes are rising...Taffy
            ​Taffy

            Comment


              #21
              My maiden voyage on Britannia is half what Duncan is paying on Anthem + the tips will be a lot less. I think it will be out of a lot of families reach.

              There might be some deals to be had nearer to the sailings.......................................... ...................................Carol

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                Where's the like button?

                I think that lots off families are struggling,with little or no pay rises and increasing cost ,there are not enough families with £6k to spend on holidays(around 25% of average pay) Dispite the claims that incomes are rising...Taffy
                Remember Taffy that £6K is taken from post-tax Income and not pre-tax Income.

                The families I know with that level of disposable income would NOT spend it on a cruise simply because there is better value elsewhere.

                Annie

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                  My maiden voyage on Britannia is half what Duncan is paying on Anthem + the tips will be a lot less. I think it will be out of a lot of families reach.

                  There might be some deals to be had nearer to the sailings.......................................... ...................................Carol
                  In fairness that price includes a drinks package and gratuities. Not that this makes up the difference in price, but still!
                  Duncan S

                  See my blog!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    Cruise lines always claim that there ships are selling well!

                    New ships always command premium pricing. However, given the fact RCI have been offering booking perks for Anthem, such as included drinks packages, cabin sales must not have been as good as hoped. Incentives for brand new ships have been pretty rare in the past.
                    Thats because the package offers were rare, the new paradime is more/all cruises get the offers with packages to keep prices up.

                    Anthem was just in there because thats the offers not because it was not selling.


                    This new model with more is included the on board spends will either be lower or people will sill spend, there is less incentive to late discount to fill the ship, just sell enough cabins. there are signs thi is happening.

                    Another thing that can happen once the pipeline is filled they start removing the incentives on cruise say less than 6months out and then reprice trapping the early bookers.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      Thats because the package offers were rare, the new paradime is more/all cruises get the offers with packages to keep prices up.

                      Anthem was just in there because thats the offers not because it was not selling.


                      This new model with more is included the on board spends will either be lower or people will sill spend, there is less incentive to late discount to fill the ship, just sell enough cabins. there are signs thi is happening.

                      Another thing that can happen once the pipeline is filled they start removing the incentives on cruise say less than 6months out and then reprice trapping the early bookers.
                      I agree.

                      I heard a Future Sales Consultant say to one client, that provided the ship meets its revenue targets, the cruise line is happy to sail with empty cabins.

                      If as in industry, they collectively decide this is the way to go, the days of rock bottom discounts may be behind us.

                      Annie

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                        I agree.

                        I heard a Future Sales Consultant say to one client, that provided the ship meets its revenue targets, the cruise line is happy to sail with empty cabins.

                        If as in industry, they collectively decide this is the way to go, the days of rock bottom discounts may be behind us.

                        Annie
                        I'd be surprised if that was the case.

                        It will mean a whole new commercial approach, including the bosses of individual lines foregoing additional revenue today for the sake of a strategic ideal that may take years to work if it ever really does. Even if that could work within a mutli-brand owner like Carnival (still a big 'if') I'm not sure it could survive the sort of competitive pressures that will drive one company against another.

                        I think the cruise lines want to give the impression that's the way things are going, and they can point the way with 2016 prices, but trying to adjust supply to meet demand is too difficult when we're talking about such long leadtime capacity. Their only hope is to grow the market or really cut capacity, and they can't do that without losing money.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
                          I'd be surprised if that was the case.

                          It will mean a whole new commercial approach, including the bosses of individual lines foregoing additional revenue today for the sake of a strategic ideal that may take years to work if it ever really does. Even if that could work within a mutli-brand owner like Carnival (still a big 'if') I'm not sure it could survive the sort of competitive pressures that will drive one company against another.

                          I think the cruise lines want to give the impression that's the way things are going, and they can point the way with 2016 prices, but trying to adjust supply to meet demand is too difficult when we're talking about such long leadtime capacity. Their only hope is to grow the market or really cut capacity, and they can't do that without losing money.
                          I will be delighted if I am wrong

                          What is hacking off some of the American cruisers, is the hike in fares plus the hike in drink prices plus the hike in gratuities. Those who post are beginning to look at alternatives. However if I lived in say Boston, I can well understand the attraction of a winter Caribbean cruise

                          Will the market grow?? I know one market that is growing amongst my acquaintances - the number of people who have cruised once and never returned.

                          Unless the itineraries are really overhauled, I have possibly only one cruise left on my bucket list and not fussed if I complete the cruise.

                          Annie

                          Comment


                            #28
                            RC definately caught a cold with Anthum. U.K. public will just not pay those prices.
                            I've just been perusing the rates for 2016 Royal Caribbean. Although I'm a Diamond member, I think I will go with Silversea for 2016. The penalty for being a single cruiser on RC is far too high.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                              I will be delighted if I am wrong

                              What is hacking off some of the American cruisers, is the hike in fares plus the hike in drink prices plus the hike in gratuities. Those who post are beginning to look at alternatives. However if I lived in say Boston, I can well understand the attraction of a winter Caribbean cruise

                              Will the market grow?? I know one market that is growing amongst my acquaintances - the number of people who have cruised once and never returned.

                              Unless the itineraries are really overhauled, I have possibly only one cruise left on my bucket list and not fussed if I complete the cruise.

                              Annie
                              We're all crystal-ball gazing to a degree, Annie, but I think we have to be careful comparing American practices with our own. As I understand it you can cancel without penalty over there and anyway you're much more likely to benefit from price drops than we are in UK. In those circumstances I'd book anything that took my fancy and weed them out nearer the time.

                              Where I'm in complete agreement is itineraries. The lines seem to be making the location such a secondary feature of a cruise, with ships that can access only container ports and 'template' itineraries that inspire no sense of travel or discovery. That's far more likely to drive me away, though there's still plenty of places I want to see, there may not be any cruise ships going where I want to go.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
                                We're all crystal-ball gazing to a degree, Annie, but I think we have to be careful comparing American practices with our own. As I understand it you can cancel without penalty over there and anyway you're much more likely to benefit from price drops than we are in UK. In those circumstances I'd book anything that took my fancy and weed them out nearer the time.

                                Where I'm in complete agreement is itineraries. The lines seem to be making the location such a secondary feature of a cruise, with ships that can access only container ports and 'template' itineraries that inspire no sense of travel or discovery. That's far more likely to drive me away, though there's still plenty of places I want to see, there may not be any cruise ships going where I want to go.
                                As an interesting comparison Max, my 14 nights in Cuba included direct flights with Virgin Atlantic, 4 nights all inclusive, 3 nights bed & breakfast, Visas, 7 night cruise and over 200 miles of transfers came to similar money to an Ocean View around the Med on Anthem this coming August.

                                As much as I would love a 'look see' on one of the sea monsters I doubt if they will ever be on my bucket list, when with a little imagination there are so many other far more interesting options available at similar money............Wilba
                                Last edited by Wilba; 13th March 2015, 02:52 PM.
                                Wilba

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X