• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthem of the Seas to leave UK after maiden season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthem of the Seas to leave UK after maiden season

Hi All

Anthem will not return to UK after maiden season.

Independence and Navigator of the Seas will use SOTON as their summer base.

Harmony of the Seas will use Barcelona and Rome.

Anthem of the Seas to leave UK after maiden season - www.travelweekly.co.uk

Annie

Despite reports of the ship selling well they must not be optimistic about the response from UK cruisers.

Either that or they know they can make more money sailing the new hardware elsewhere.

Time will tell whether I'm sorry to hear this news!
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
      Despite reports of the ship selling well they must not be optimistic about the response from UK cruisers.

Either that or they know they can make more money sailing the new hardware elsewhere.

Time will tell whether I'm sorry to hear this news!
      I don't think the Maiden Voyage has sold out?? Heck a few weeks ago they were offering solos cabins with no solo penalty.

I can fully understand why the cruise did not sell out. Cold weather cruise to the Northern Spain ?? no thanks

Maybe RCI is too innovative for the 'traditional' cruiser who sails from SOTON??

Annie

PS No wonder P&O weren't worried about Anthem
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 12th March 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Milk the UK pax for one season then relocate and milk a new set while the ship is still new.

If anything the must do it this year or have to fly somewhere far away will firm most likely firm up prices.

I doubt the UK could support new ship premium beyond a single season.

Comment

It's interesting that anthem hasn't sold as well as britannia. I'm an RCI fan but anthem didn't grasp me because of the premium cost. Top deck is right in the milking of passengers. We've got a JS on explorer for £2k less than a balcony cabin on anthem. That's a lot of difference for a similar date and itinerary. It makes you wonder how much the north star is going to be used in northern Europe inclement weather?
          I'm made up Indy is coming back, we love her. Same way as the Americans love explorer and will be happy she's going back stateside sailing Alaska.
          I've just got to stop hubby being interested in Indy for next year now as he still doesn't know I've booked Epic. HOWEVER my idea, pennies allowing, of doing a B2B Ncl and RCI may come about as I've just read that harmony of the seas leaves Barcelona on 23rd October 16 for her TA. We get on Epic on that date which means that we will deffo see her, but may be able to have a week on her first before sailing on Epic. Ooooooo haha
          Last edited by cymrucruiser; 12th March 2015, 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'll pass my opinion of Anthem after trying it at end of April.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysticks, Bournemouth View Post
              I'll pass my opinion of Anthem after trying it at end of April.
              I very much look forward to hearing about it.
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I'm booked on Explorer this year. We paid a few thousand less than we would have on an almost identical cruise on Anthem. I'm not paying that to ride on a posh crane and some dodgems.

Comment

The prices were too much for me. I've got three bookings with RCI this year, and was content with the prices that I paid on Brilliance and Explorer for solo bookings.
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                    The prices were too much for me. I've got three bookings with RCI this year, and was content with the prices that I paid on Brilliance and Explorer for solo bookings.
                    Well done on your pricing Yogini - on cc they are not so happy:

If you visit cc - there are 2 really great threads running:

1. WOW - apparently alcohol prices have increased by approx. 30%

2. Overpriced 2016 itineraries

Not surprising really - Anthem and Harmony etc don't come cheap.

Annie

Comment

Our Anthem cruise is certainly our most expensive one yet, but it was a price we were willing to pay to experience a shiny new ship with all of the bells and whistles. Will I enjoy the Royal Caribbean experience? I don't know. I sure as hell hope the food is better than that on Splendour of the Seas (in the MDR).

At the end of the day everyone makes a call as to what they're willing to pay for a particular ship, cabin, itinerary, and inclusive extras. Now that the 'free' drinks promotion has ended, the price for our cabin has dropped slightly, though as I'd have bought a package anyway we're still quids in.

£4,600 for a 14-night cruise for 2 people is a lot of money, but I'm VERY excited about seeing Anthem and experiencing all she has to offer!
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Our Anthem cruise is certainly our most expensive one yet, but it was a price we were willing to pay to experience a shiny new ship with all of the bells and whistles. Will I enjoy the Royal Caribbean experience? I don't know. I sure as hell hope the food is better than that on Splendour of the Seas (in the MDR).

At the end of the day everyone makes a call as to what they're willing to pay for a particular ship, cabin, itinerary, and inclusive extras. Now that the 'free' drinks promotion has ended, the price for our cabin has dropped slightly, though as I'd have bought a package anyway we're still quids in.

£4,600 for a 14-night cruise for 2 people is a lot of money, but I'm VERY excited about seeing Anthem and experiencing all she has to offer!
                        And it would probably be the same price for a solo...... food for thought??

BTW in the other place they claim that identical itineraries, same timeline RCI are charging 30% more in 2016 than in 2015.

FO wants to charge £200 per day for a single inside cabin on some of its 2016 itineraries.

If this upward hike continues across the industry, I will look at other holiday options.

Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th March 2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Cruise lines always claim that there ships are selling well!

New ships always command premium pricing. However, given the fact RCI have been offering booking perks for Anthem, such as included drinks packages, cabin sales must not have been as good as hoped. Incentives for brand new ships have been pretty rare in the past.

I suspect the issue is partly to do with the number of big ships operating from Southampton this spring/summer, creating over-capacity: Britannia, Royal Princess, Celebrity, QM2, QE, QV, Ventura, Azura and the rest of the P&O fleet. (We briefly get NCL's 'Escape' in October).

Anthem's maiden transatlantic is not particularly attractive at the time of year.

I agree with Annie. I also think many British cruisers (including the 'reluctant' to fly variety) are often mature and traditionalists.

Britannia is essentially an America design (by Princess), but has been cleverly marketed as offering a British experience. The itineraries are also to British tastes.

Anthem's facilities seem more aimed at children and young people.

Maybe RCI are simply moving her to regions of younger demographics.
                          Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 12th March 2015, 07:49 PM.
                          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                            It makes you wonder how much the north star is going to be used in northern Europe inclement weather?
                            Quantum and Anthem are actually designed to be cooler-climate ships, with indoor pools etc. like the 'Radiance' class was. Therefore you might think that they would be at home in the UK/Europe.

Many of RCI's other ships (Oasis, Voyager, Freedom classes for example) were primarily designed for the Caribbean.
                            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                              Anthem's facilities seem more aimed at children and young people.

Maybe RCI are simply moving her to regions of younger demographics.
                              Most young people can't afford to cruise on RCI and most hard working young families with kids can't splash out £6k+ for a 14 night cruise. If they wanted to attract families on to their ships they would offer 3rd and 4th passenger offers.

RCI charge the same price for one four berth or two two berth cabins, which discourages working class families.

Even I draw the line at paying £3k for my two kidsto go on holiday, it's ridiculous!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X