• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My-time dining, Independence of the Seas 6th Sept., 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My-time dining, Independence of the Seas 6th Sept., 2014

Due on Indy on 6th September, 2014. I have tried to book My-time dining but to no avail. have e-mailed RCI and they say that they are aware of an IT issue since a software upgrade and could not confirm that it would be resolved prior to sailing (eh!). This has been the situation for over four weeks. Ironically (of course), all other revenue generating bookables remain available - excursions, spa, drinks packages etc.

I just find it difficult to believe that they are available and not My-time. As my wife has Parkinson's it is vital that her medication is taken at the correct time and this revolves around mealtimes - hence the concern. Equally, I really cannot see that RCI want the rugby scrum of all the passengers trying to book dining times on the first day of the cruise.

Anyone on this cruise and have you been able to book or not?

Many thanks

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Hi there

I apologise in advance if I'm providing incorrect information here, I'm not an experienced cruiser as yet, however I thought I did have a good understanding of RCIs methods so I'll tell you my understanding and see what others think.
    As far as I was aware RCI give the choice of either early or late pre booked dinner times or their 'MyTime dining' requiring pre paid tips.
    The My Time option allows you to turn up at the dining room at the time of your choosing and they will find you a table ASAP on arrival. Now, maybe you can pre-book with my time dining, but I'm a little surprised if that is the case because people wanting set times would surely use the first and second seating pre set times as opposed to choosing the option that enables showing up at will.
    However, I may be wrong :-)

Chris

Comment

Chris

When we were on RCI IOS, you could prebook with my time dining via phone daily, or by visiting the dining room at a set time during the day, so you could choose a different time to eat each night if you required or just turn up. We did a mixture, of booking and turning up, as our cruise was 18 days, sometimes instead of using MDR in the evenings, we used the buffet.
      You are correct in regards to tips on RCI, with my time dining, you have to pay them up front.
      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 22nd July 2014, 12:20 AM.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Lonedreamer, UK View Post
        Hi there

I apologise in advance if I'm providing incorrect information here, I'm not an experienced cruiser as yet, however I thought I did have a good understanding of RCIs methods so I'll tell you my understanding and see what others think.
        As far as I was aware RCI give the choice of either early or late pre booked dinner times or their 'MyTime dining' requiring pre paid tips.
        The My Time option allows you to turn up at the dining room at the time of your choosing and they will find you a table ASAP on arrival. Now, maybe you can pre-book with my time dining, but I'm a little surprised if that is the case because people wanting set times would surely use the first and second seating pre set times as opposed to choosing the option that enables showing up at will.
        However, I may be wrong :-)

Chris
        Chris,

As someone who has cruised a lot, and would never entertain first sitting, when you get to a certain age, eating at 8.30 - 9.00pm is not great on the digestive system, so nowadays we choose My Time/Anytime dining, but book a table at the same time every night at a time to suit our needs, typically 7.15 - 7.30pm...........Wilba
        Last edited by Wilba; 22nd July 2014, 07:44 PM.
        Wilba

Comment

I would suggest you keep trying, if you are a "My Time" kind of person, as I am, it takes a lot to beat it.

Part of the problem may be because RCI have set up HQ in Guatemala. Contact the agent you're booked with and keep on at them. Someone should get fed up and want you out of their hair. No, seriously, a good agent will try very hard for you. .....Neil

Comment

Thanks guys.

Everybody is right in what they say. We just prefer to pre-book (shore-side in advance) so that it is fixed and one thing less to organise on boarding.

We have booked with Cruise dot (John Campion) but if what they say is right I would not want to bother them at this time. Oh, and I will keep trying.

Thanks again, Bill
            Last edited by Lawnmowerman, Tain; 22nd July 2014, 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X