• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independence Of The Seas great

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independence Of The Seas great

My family and I have just returned from our first cruise with R.C this ship is amazing , it's a floating resort,there was so much to do and see, in fact it should have been called the Tardis it was big on the outside and seemd even bigger on the inside, it is lovely and clean the shows were good the ice show was spectacular even though 5 of the skaters fell during their performance but at the speed they go I am not surprised, my grandaughter who has just turned 3 was mesmerised and was clapping like a good one, one of the skaters came over to her and said hello and blew her a kiss, she and her bigger brother was enrolled in the kids club and they loved it, they even took part in a pirate show and paraded in the Alahambra theatre then on to the prom where they were all filmed, one night whilst heading dow to the Pyrimid lounge my son his Mrs and the two chilren was stopped by Jof the entertainment director and asked to stand and wave at the camera at the begining of the morning show, which they obliged, they had a fab holiday and now my son is depressed because he didnt want the holiday to end,I found the ship very good there were quite a few people in wheel chairs, some with obvious dissabilities,other than physical but they were all catered for, I found that the lifts were speedy when you could get in one, I found some very rude when lifts stopped some would barge straight from the back into the lifts, one lady in a wheel chair was waiting patiently when the lift came we stepped in and was making room for this poor lady I held the lift door open with my walking stik and this chap and his companion just barged in so the lady couldn't get in she was shocked I was furious, and just said good manners seem to have been left at home by some, there were a few young ones using the lift for one floor, even I went up the stairs on a couple of occasions even with two shot knees and hip,but I did find most people were very nice and there were all nations on board, there was a lot of large people on board, we went to Gran Canaria and two very very large people were walking down to the small beach and all the locals were looking at them, I think many go on cruises because they would be unable to get a seat on a plane just because of their sheer size, I also saw gluttony where people would pile their plates up then waste half of it, no need really as food is constantly being replenished, but all in all a great holiday and now there is more cruise addicts on this forum including my grand children,the staff worked very hard and were always cleaning, a lovely experience all round.
    Last edited by Balmcake, Leeds (2); 30th September 2011, 12:40 AM.

Thanks for the review, sounds like you had a Great time..
    Btw ever heard of ' full stop, new paragraph' ! It would make it so much easier to read

Comment

yes I have heard of full stops and paragraphs, but frequently type as I speak
      Originally posted by dazzer68, braunton View Post
      Thanks for the review, sounds like you had a Great time..
      Btw ever heard of ' full stop, new paragraph' ! It would make it so much easier to read

Comment

Any tips?

Sounds like you had a fab time. I understood without the punctuation! I'm going on the Independence 4 weeks today! Any tips either on board or ashore? Did you go to either of the speciality restaurants? Looking at the standard dining menu I'm not sure if we would need to but I am very inquisitive and like to try everything!

Comment

We had the same table and staff nightly in the Romeo and Juliet restaurant and personally didnt feel the need to go to any speciality restaurants.
          The food in the Romeo and Juliet was fine and varied and nothing was ever repeated, they even had a special menu for those who were watching their intake and it gave the calories etc.

there is of course Windjammers and Jades which has just about everything you could want and its buffet style so you get what you want, we tried Johnny Rockets but to be fair didn't find it and better than the burgers in Windjammers, we were however treated to the staff doing hand jive and dancing, you pay a little extra for that at $4.95 drinks were extra but we had beer package so were covered.there was plenty to do and you will not go hungry, my grandchildren liked the pizza in Sorrentos and they even had hot pork pies which my hubby liked, we didnt go on any organised tours, as we wanted to have a look around being as it was a first for us,there are shuttle buses available at some ports a set fee you use them to get you to centres of ports and hop back on when you are ready to return to ship.

Teneriffe had a shuttle bus but it was complimentary and it dropped you off near the end of the port where there was a tour bus available. Maderia had a bus which took you to the cable car terminal.
          Ferrol was a lovely little port very Spansih hardly any one spoke English so it was quite unspoilt and quite pretty.

If you do choose to eat at the speciality restaurants you will pay extra, I did notice that chops Grill had gone up in price from what was said on here, I think it was around $30 per person and we said we were not prepared to pay that for a 3 year old and a 7 year old as they wouldnt eat it, but as steak was served in Romeo and Juliets we didn't feel the need.

I tried out a couple of the cocktails and we got generous measures, I even got the speciality cocktails and bought the glass and we got a discount of 25% because we had a package.

You will have a fabulous holdiday and won't get bored there is so much to do and see, we were still finding our way around on the last day, the corridors are so long they seem to go on forever and once or twice in the begining we ended up on the wrong side of the ship, but it just adds to the fun, I would go again tomorrow if I could, lovely ship lovely crew lovely holiday enjoy yourself and feel free to ask anything while the memory is still fresh
          Last edited by Balmcake, Leeds (2); 4th October 2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Hi. Balmcake. Thanks for your report has answered many questions for us,just a few more was there any quiet times to go Windjammer to eat,also what was the cost of beer package & was it worth it please.we are on Idependnce Dec.17th will be the biggest Royal Crib. boat we have been on it sounds great. living at Gosport we often go down to the bay & watch her & all the ships sailing out,will be thinking next time shall be on her soon.

Comment

Hi Stingray, obviously the busier times in Windjammer are at lunch time and breakfast but it's fairly busy at all times, I would try to go after say 1.30 pm by that time most people had eaten and were around the pool or on the decks, if you want breakfast I would suggest that you use one of the dining rooms although they are busy you are allocated a table according to your needs ie how many persons there are in your party, for example one morning my son and I went down to Romeo and Juliet and were put on a large table with 6 other guests and we were quite near the facilites due to the fact I was using a walking stick...
              As for beer packages I took out two beer packages for my hubby and son, and I went for the classic as I am not really a drinker but did want to try a few cocktails, the standard package was $39 a day which worked out at around £25 a day each, and as my husband is a pints drinker it was worth it for him, my son drank either pints or house rose which was part of the package, so it was worth it for them, mine was $49 a day roughly around £ 32 a day but that included cocktails, beer, house wines and some spirits I used to drink 4 cocktails a day roughly and a glass of wine with meals, you were allowed cocktails up to $9 in that, any beers, house wines and standard spirits and the measures were generous, I didn't get my full quota but as I was on holiday I didnt mind, the problem is 'all in the cabin have to take the drinks package' so if one drinks and the other doesnt its better to pay as you go.
              You can of course check your expenditure daily on your tv and see exactly how much you have spent, I did find that I had a couple of drinks on mine which shouldn't have been on there but I just spoke to customer relations who said 'it was clear that it was an oversigh't and they just removed it with no problems, I am sure you will have a fabulous time, I did and wish I could do it again now, my son said cruising spoils you for any other holiday, and a word of warning expect the waistband to expand slightly,' ours did' I came home and went on a diet LOL my son had martial arts grading when he came home and found his ghee feeling a little snug even though he did a few runs round the track on the upper deck now hes on a diet, but he said it was well worth it, and you will be on board for Christmas by the look of it so it should be amazing have a brilliant time.
              Originally posted by stingray, Gosport.uk. View Post
              Hi. Balmcake. Thanks for your report has answered many questions for us,just a few more was there any quiet times to go Windjammer to eat,also what was the cost of beer package & was it worth it please.we are on Idependnce Dec.17th will be the biggest Royal Crib. boat we have been on it sounds great. living at Gosport we often go down to the bay & watch her & all the ships sailing out,will be thinking next time shall be on her soon.
              Last edited by Balmcake, Leeds (2); 12th October 2011, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chesneyrules, Halifax View Post
                Sounds like you had a fab time. I understood without the punctuation! I'm going on the Independence 4 weeks today! Any tips either on board or ashore? Did you go to either of the speciality restaurants? Looking at the standard dining menu I'm not sure if we would need to but I am very inquisitive and like to try everything!
                We didnt eat in the speciality restaurants as such but did do the murder mystery evening which was fabulous. You start off with champagne and canapes in olive o twist then proceed to the restaurant I cant remember what is was called but it is one of the speciallity restaurants but just for the murder mystery guests on that evening. We had an excellent meal whilst the actors did the murder mystery involving the guests in the proceedings. All wine was included throughout the meal and there was a prize at the end for the one who guessed the murder correctly. Also worth noting part of the buffet area is turned ino a waiter service restaurant in the evening where many of the dishes are included, you just pay a supplement if you want the specials like steak seved on a sizzling platter and a few others but plently to chhose from withour extra cost.

Comment

Hello, can I ask did your grandchildren attend the kids club on an evening? we have been told that our 3yr old son can be collected from the dining room at 6.45pm so that we can finish our meal in peace? I really do hope this works out like this, as this is something we both miss very much!!

Comment

Originally posted by stingray, Gosport.uk. View Post
                    I'm going on the 17th December voyage too! It's my 4th time on the IOS! Fantastic ship!

Comment

Originally posted by kk1982, Leeds View Post
                      Hello, can I ask did your grandchildren attend the kids club on an evening? we have been told that our 3yr old son can be collected from the dining room at 6.45pm so that we can finish our meal in peace? I really do hope this works out like this, as this is something we both miss very much!!
                      Sorry I have only just seen this I hope I am not too late to reply , the answer is yes the kids club reps did come down and collect some children however my son took his children up to their respective clubs in between courses, but you can ask the kids club to collect them for you, if you havent been yet I hope you have a fabulous time if you have I hope you HAD a fabulous time.

Comment

Thank you, no we sail on 10 Jan 2012! :O))

Comment

Ah well you are in for a treat, we now feel that any other holiday would be overshadowed by our cruise on the IOS, I hope the weather is nice on your cruise, where are you cruising to? we did the Canaries and loved it we enjoyed the formal night too and my granddaughter enjoyed the dressing up , they do look after the children really well, our grandchildren took part in a pirate show then they were paraded on the Royal promanade just before the ships parade, they enjoyed every minute of it and they dressed up and had face paint on even my grandaughter who was just 3 got in the spirit of things too. If your children like nintendo there is alarge screen where they can play the Wi and take part in friendly competitions against other families, my grandson was 7 at the time but he entered with his dad and won and they were given a medal and so was the other family it was nice and friendly 'your children will love it' my grandchildren found a nice corner in the pyramid lounge and when the band was on danced in the corner most of the night and bothered no one they never said they were bored which is a good thing, hope you have a carefree holiday.
                          Originally posted by kk1982, Leeds View Post
                          Thank you, no we sail on 10 Jan 2012! :O))

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X