• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flight fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems theres no easy foolproof way of sorting the flights, I think I like the idea of going a day or 2 before and staying at a hotel getting extra holiday days, it would probably work out cheaper than the amount we paid RCI for our flights. By the way, thank you all for your advice and just to say all of our party have received our suitcases intact today. When I've finished all the holiday laundry yuk! I will write and tell all the good parts of my fabulous first cruise, hopefully some of it may help other first time cruisers. Bye for now, washing & ironing to do.
    Jackie

Comment

I always think it is a sin to fly to an interesting city like Barcelona etc., board a ship and fly home at the end of the cruise without seeing any of it!

In most of Europe's cities you can find some reasonable accommodation for £50+ per room, per night. If a cruise is Sunday to Sunday, take an extra day off work and fly our Friday morning, giving you two nights and a good buffer against flight delays.

Tripadvisor.co.uk is my bible for hotels.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by swinny, castleford View Post
        it seems theres no easy foolproof way of sorting the flights, I think I like the idea of going a day or 2 before and staying at a hotel getting extra holiday days, it would probably work out cheaper than the amount we paid RCI for our flights. By the way, thank you all for your advice and just to say all of our party have received our suitcases intact today. When I've finished all the holiday laundry yuk! I will write and tell all the good parts of my fabulous first cruise, hopefully some of it may help other first time cruisers. Bye for now, washing & ironing to do.
        Jackie
        It's not only first time cruisers - all addicts like the rest of us enjoy them too. So look forward to reading your review.

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
        I always think it is a sin to fly to an interesting city like Barcelona etc., board a ship and fly home at the end of the cruise without seeing any of it!

In most of Europe's cities you can find some reasonable accommodation for £50+ per room, per night. If a cruise is Sunday to Sunday, take an extra day off work and fly our Friday morning, giving you two nights and a good buffer against flight delays.

I am a Destination Expert on Tripadvisor and before every holiday or even just a one night stay before or after a cruise look up the relative destination on Trip Advisor. They'll give you all the information you need regarding transfers.
        Booking.com always seem to have hotels available in all price ranges

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
          It's not only first time cruisers - all addicts like the rest of us enjoy them too. So look forward to reading your review.

I am a Destination Expert on Tripadvisor and before every holiday or even just a one night stay before or after a cruise look up the relative destination on Trip Advisor. They'll give you all the information you need regarding transfers.
          Booking.com always seem to have hotels available in all price ranges
          I must be the only forum member who doesn't rate Trip Advisor. No offence to you Hat, I'm sure you're spot on but some of the hotels I've stayed in have reviews which vary so much to my own experience [being objective and not subjective] that I wonder if we stayed in the same hotel!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            I must be the only forum member who doesn't rate Trip Advisor. No offence to you Hat, I'm sure you're spot on but some of the hotels I've stayed in have reviews which vary so much to my own experience [being objective and not subjective] that I wonder if we stayed in the same hotel!!
            No your not reports that lots of reviews are paid for with price reductions and they get a kickback from the Hotels but only those that sign up.
            ​Taffy

Comment

Hi Mrs M
              No,there's two of us.
              I will use Trip Advisor to tap into local knowledge from posters like Hat,sights,bars,art galleries etc.
              But hotels are a no no for me.
              Booked one hotel in Rome,said roof terrace + small pool,,it had neither.
              Interesting article in yesterdays newspaper...said,
              "Tripadvisor has removed the slogan 'reviews you can trust' from its website only a week after the ASA announced an investigation into the credibility of the travel giants content"

BTW,I have used Alpharooms for hotel, for years now, with no problems.
              JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I found a great cruise for October 2012 which had a really good single occupancy price. I emailed cruisedot, and they contacted RCI for me as I wanted to spend a couple of extra days in New Orleans at the end of the cruise. Apparently RCI could not guarantee that I could have a delayed flight, so didn't book the cruise. It was a shame, but I couldn't see the point in going straight through the city when I'd really love to go there.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                  No your not reports that lots of reviews are paid for with price reductions and they get a kickback from the Hotels but only those that sign up.
                  Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi Mrs M
                  No,there's two of us.
                  I will use Trip Advisor to tap into local knowledge from posters like Hat,sights,bars,art galleries etc.
                  But hotels are a no no for me.
                  Booked one hotel in Rome,said roof terrace + small pool,,it had neither.
                  Interesting article in yesterdays newspaper...said,
                  "Tripadvisor has removed the slogan 'reviews you can trust' from its website only a week after the ASA announced an investigation into the credibility of the travel giants content"

BTW,I have used Alpharooms for hotel, for years now, with no problems.
                  JC
                  When I think of Trip Advisor I automatically think of the Destination Forums not the Reviews. For example when we once went on holiday with a friend who has a bad back and finds it very hard and painful to walk up hill, I posted on the forum a short list of six hotels and asked which one would be best to avoid hills. It would have so very difficult to find out just by on line research.
                  The thing is that anyone can post a review of a hotel or restaurant - nowadays some are often one liners ! There is no way of knowing if the reviewer had actually stayed in the hotel or if he had an ulterior motive as it's so easy to post a review praising or criticizing a hotel.
                  What I do is check our the writers of the reviews. If they regularly post on TA , I do tend to give them greater credence. If they have never posted before and praise or criticize to the extreme I then I get doubts.
                  I've read reviews of cruises where someone posts and says he was on the same cruise and contradicts everything the OP had written.
                  We use booking.com to book hotels and on our return home find an e-mail questionnaire and request for comments but a site like Trip Advisor doesn't have that luxury.

Comment

I always fly out at least a day ahead and stay overnight for one night. This minimises the risk of late flights, as I can afford to be up to a day late!

I sometimes arrive a few nights early and have a city-break first.
                    Exactly what we do Malcolm and what a lot of people dont realise is that you can do this without it costing much, if any more, than travelling on the same day.

I look at it from this perspective; most cruises depart at the weekend with weekend high priced flights. Look at the same flight on a Thursday and it can be £70 cheaper which then in turn can cover or go towards the cost of a hotel for the night.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X