• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flight fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flight fiasco

my very first post after my very first cruise so be patient please,why on earth do RCI send you on such ridiculous journeys to get to your departure port.
    We could have gone from our local airport and arrived in Venice about 2 - 3 hours later so easily, (surely it would have cost RCI less also) instead we had to travel to manchester to fly to amsterdam and from there fly to venice and on return we were sent via paris. The time slot for connecting in paris was so tight that boarding had actually closed but as I was in a wheelchair and being assisted by airport staff they did let me and my husband board (had I not requested assistance we would probably be still waiting there) On arrival at manchester the tannoy announced that all of our party of 6 had no luggage to collect as it was still in paris, the baggage handlers had not had time to offload and transfer it to our connection!! hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
    In the end what should have been 2 short flights there and back took up almost 2 full days with endless stress and hassle. I was originally worried about booking our own flights in case of problems connecting with the ship, this being our first cruise, however, never again will I let RCI organise my flights, the cruise was fantastic couldn't fault it but the flights horrendous.

Originally posted by swinny, castleford View Post
    my very first post after my very first cruise so be patient please,why on earth do RCI send you on such ridiculous journeys to get to your departure port.
    We could have gone from our local airport and arrived in Venice about 2 - 3 hours later so easily, (surely it would have cost RCI less also) instead we had to travel to manchester to fly to amsterdam and from there fly to venice and on return we were sent via paris. The time slot for connecting in paris was so tight that boarding had actually closed but as I was in a wheelchair and being assisted by airport staff they did let me and my husband board (had I not requested assistance we would probably be still waiting there) On arrival at manchester the tannoy announced that all of our party of 6 had no luggage to collect as it was still in paris, the baggage handlers had not had time to offload and transfer it to our connection!! hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
    In the end what should have been 2 short flights there and back took up almost 2 full days with endless stress and hassle. I was originally worried about booking our own flights in case of problems connecting with the ship, this being our first cruise, however, never again will I let RCI organise my flights, the cruise was fantastic couldn't fault it but the flights horrendous.
    Welcome to the forum

Sorry about your flights, it's hard to get around an airport in a wheelchair normally you are first on the flight and last off
    Perhaps next time use a cruise agent explain the problem and check the conections yourself, or come on the forum and get others to give you some advice.

Comment

yes thanks for the reply, i will definitely ask for more advice before i book again. Just got back tonight so i will have to start saving up again for my next one.

Comment

yes thanks for the reply, i will definitely ask for more advice before i book again. Just got back tonight so i will have to start saving up again for my next one.
        Have a look at this thread it may interest you just a short trip no planes

Follow the link

http://www.cruises.co.uk/907-2011_de...er_2011_a.html

Comment

It seems to happen most times with cruiseline flights where they use scheduled flights. They book the cheapest way for them, not the best way for you.
          The solution is to book your own flights and travel the day before and have a hotel near the port.
          You may find that this way costs very little more than booking through the cruiseline and may even be cheaper.
          One of the problems is that cruiselines do not give you flight details when you book and its too late to change when you find out.
          Some cruiselines, like P&O and Cunard, use dedicated direct charter flights which does away with changing enroute.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
            It seems to happen most times with cruiseline flights where they use scheduled flights. They book the cheapest way for them, not the best way for you.
            The solution is to book your own flights and travel the day before and have a hotel near the port.
            You may find that this way costs very little more than booking through the cruiseline and may even be cheaper.
            One of the problems is that cruiselines do not give you flight details when you book and its too late to change when you find out.
            Some cruiselines, like P&O and Cunard, use dedicated direct charter flights which does away with changing enroute.
            Brian
            Sorry don't agree, booking your own flights takes you out of the package deal, when things go wrong you are on your own that's bad enough when you can get around easy, with a wheelchair and luggage just a simple thing like a taxi to a hotel can be a nightmare.

Comment

What bad luck for you. I will never understand the pricing system and convoluted journeys to reach a destination. When planning a fly cruise for next year we found it less expensive to purchase a single return ticket for a one way journey from Frankfurt to Vienna.

Then the one way journey for 2 people from Vienna to Rome cost even less than the cost of 1 one way ticket from Frankfurt to Vienna ....... we are flying on different airlines on the long haul flights , meeting in Vienna and travelling together from there.

How do they expect we mere mortals to understand the system Swinny? Good luck for the next cruise! Christiaan

Comment

What I can't understand is how professionals can choose connecting flights with such a short time frame.
                The only consolation is that your luggage was left behind on the return flight - it wouldn't have been pleasant having to spend the first few days with no luggage.

Comment

You might think that the major cruise line who book thousands of flights get the pick of the times, direct flights and are able to offer good fares for their fly/cruise packages - WRONG!

I'm a bit of a control freak so would not trust them to book my flights anyway. I book 'Cruise Only' (using cruise.co.uk etc.) and then book my own flights on-line. Easyjet etc. normally offer a ranger of flight times and direct flights, which are cheaper than the cruise lines air-package.

OK one night in a hotel pre-cruise is wise or add a few and see the departure city. You can often get rooms for £50 per night in most cities. Taxi, bus or train will get you to the port. Some hotels offer free airport/cruise transfers. This can all still work out much cheaper than the cruise lines 'package'.

Have a look at site like 'Expedia.co.uk'. You can use it to get a flight (or hotel) quote - payment comes at the very end, so don't worry, have a play with it!
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Most cruise lines will send you the cheapest way they can to the embarkation port, and as you found out it is certainly NOT the most convenient. You could always book cruise only and sort your own flights and transfers, you might save a little money depending how far away from the airport the docks are, but please bear in mind that if for any reason your flight does not get you to the port on time you are on your own, and you will have to get yourself to the next port of call which at such short notice it will probably be very expensive. Alternatively you can get them to quote you for the flight that you wanted to take i.e. from your local airport to Venice. Then you will be looked after by RCI if anything goes wrong with the flights. The very best solution is not to fly and sail out of England, this is the option we took about 3 years ago, and never regretted it.
                    Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
                    Eclipse 12/05
                    Queen Victoria 24/03
                    Eclipse 12/05
                    Oceania Riveria 13/08
                    Eclipse 29/09
                    Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
                    Eclipse 11/05
                    Eclipse 06/07
                    Eclipse 31/08
                    Eclipse 20/10

Comment

Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                      ...but please bear in mind that if for any reason your flight does not get you to the port on time you are on your own....
                      I always fly out at least a day ahead and stay overnight for one night. This minimises the risk of late flights, as I can afford to be up to a day late!

I sometimes arrive a few nights early and have a city-break first.
                      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 18th September 2011, 11:46 PM.
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I don't know about other lines as we only found out about this last year on our February Costa cruise, we have since managed to do it twice out of the three we have booked since.

WE look at the sailing date, then onto BA flights/Thomson from Bournmouth/ and others, finding a flight for the correct day at a time that suits us. We then have asked the Costa TA for that flight they do try to get us on it. We did once have to wait some time for the transfer but it was no trouble to wait in airport.
                        Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

as we work we don't usually have the luxury of extending our cruise and also having the worrybags hubbie that I have so most of the time we have booked our flights via the cruiseline.

the reason the cruiseline book you 'via somerwhere' is so everyone flying from all over the country can meet up at the 'via' airport and be put on the same plane. this saves on waiting time for the customer and the cruiseline providing numerous transfers at various times, therefore reducing their costs and increasing their profits.

well thats my theory and I am sticking to it.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent idea especially the mini break before the cruise.

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                            I always fly out at least a day ahead and stay overnight for one night. This minimises the risk of late flights, as I can afford to be up to a day late!

I sometimes arrive a few nights ealy and have a city-break first.
                            Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
                            Eclipse 12/05
                            Queen Victoria 24/03
                            Eclipse 12/05
                            Oceania Riveria 13/08
                            Eclipse 29/09
                            Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
                            Eclipse 11/05
                            Eclipse 06/07
                            Eclipse 31/08
                            Eclipse 20/10

Comment

This happened to us, with NCL....what should have been a short flight to Barcelona ended up as an all day on via Amsterdam, and 2 nights in hotels, as they kept changing things....we lost the will to live, and accepted it all! We went with the company because it was winter, and a high chance of snow....in fact the airport in N/C was closed for a few hours when we arrived.
                              I'm with Spartan here- I quite like the full package for anything complicated, but for something simple like the Med, I'm with Easy jet etc now!
                              Jo.
                              Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X