• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navigator of the Seas - Meal-times Fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigator of the Seas - Meal-times Fiasco

Navigator of the Seas – Eastern Mediterranean - July 2011

We wanted to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in style so we opted for a cruise on one of the bigger ships but after just two days I dreaded meal-times.

MAIN DININGROOM
    At the onset, there were nine people at our table – my wife and I chose a table for eight on the booking form. We were literally crammed around the table so much that I could not bring my chair up to the table and had to lean forward to eat. Very uncomfortable indeed.

I don't blame the waiter because I would have thought this was down to the Head Waiter or whoever is responsible for the seating arrangements. Anyway, to sit every evening crammed around a dinner table for two hours, oh yes, evening meals took two hours, was not what I would call dining in comfort.

The waiter soon let us know what he thought about Formal nights. He stated that nobody should wear ties on holiday as it is a time to relax. Even the other men at our table were surprised at his attitude towards formal dress. They and I came to dinner with suits and ties anyway on the two formal nights. In fact I wore my tux the second Formal night and what a look of disapproval I got from the waiter.

I have let RC know that the waiter was not encouraging RC's dress code – the truth was he was doing the opposite. Why do RC offer tuxes for hire on the ship if the staff are against it?

My advice is 'Do not pay any gratuities upfront'. Wait until you are satisfied with the services and then pay what you want on the last evening. After all, you don't think about paying for tips at a restaurant until you have finished your meal. If you have any dollars over you can use them to pay off some of your account at Guest Relations.

WINDJAMMER
    This was a nightmare. Not only did we have to spend ages trying to find a seat at breakfast and lunch times but also it was very difficult to get to an empty table anyway. They were so crammed into the dining areas.

There are no fried eggs, just hard boiled or really tasteless scrambled ones. The bacon was not crispy, nor soft, depends how you like it but so hard that it was difficult to cut. The rest of the food was not up to much either.

RC's response was a phone call informing me that they would pass on my comments to the ship and then tried their hardest to persuade me to use them again. lol

This dining room experience has put us both right off using Royal Caribbean again.

So it's back to Thomson's where we had better food, better service, better entertainment and far better value for your money - and I don't take my tux!

SO why didn't you ask the head waiter to be moved,he would of done especially as you was my time dining, it won't matter what ship you are on at certain times of the day restaurants will be busy and thats not just on ships,even on land, you can get 2 types of bacon American and british, fried eggs there is a section where they will cook them for you as well as ommolettes and pancakes, you could of gone for brekkie and lunch in the MDR and had waiter service, I personally found that the Navigator to be a great ship,great service and friendly, I think it might have been your grumpy attitude....Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian, Swinton View Post
      SO why didn't you ask the head waiter to be moved,he would of done especially as you was my time dining, it won't matter what ship you are on at certain times of the day restaurants will be busy and thats not just on ships,even on land, you can get 2 types of bacon American and british, fried eggs there is a section where they will cook them for you as well as ommolettes and pancakes, you could of gone for brekkie and lunch in the MDR and had waiter service, I personally found that the Navigator to be a great ship,great service and friendly, I think it might have been your grumpy attitude....Brian

I was not on my time dining – who said I was?
      It wasn't the case of the Windjammer being busy – it was the fact that you couldn't move around the tables.
      Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Main Dining Room with that waiter service - I don't want to spend all day in dining rooms.
      I agree, the Navigator is a great ship -I just do not want to eat in battery-hen conditions.
      And no, I'm not an old grumpy so-and-so. Apart from meal times I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
      You wouldn't happen to be Petty Officer for RC would you. It sounds like one of their responses.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
      X