• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independence of the seas review Apr 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independence of the seas review Apr 2011

My son has a mobility problem and he has a realy good time visiting different countries and I am sure other disabled people have a great time too, you must be a young person to be not only against the disabled but ageist so perhaps a 18-30 holiday will suit you better

Comment

Originally posted by SarahD1, Beith View Post
      ...The crowd was VERY old and there was a very high number of passengers with mobility difficulties. I dont see how this is the holiday for these groups of people.
      Wow...hope you have your tin helmet ready Sarah.

On the right ship, cruising is actually a brilliant way of travelling for the 'VERY old' and those with mobility problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        Wow...hope you have your tin helmet ready Sarah.

On the right ship, cruising is actually a brilliant way of travelling for the 'VERY old' and those with mobility problems.

Sorry I didnt make my point very clearly, I said I didnt think it was suitable not that I was being discriminatory. This ship is not suitable in my opinion for very elderly passengers or those with mobility problems because of the size and lay out of the ship - there is only 4 small lifts at each far end of the ship. Also due to the issues I mentioned regarding seating and the issues with the eating areas and promenade. We witnessed many people having issues. Other ships I have been on have catered much more for the eldery or those with mobility issues.

I am way too old for an 18-30 holiday! :-)

Comment

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_28672/

Someone on the same cruise......... oh and thanks for labelling me as an intolerant 18-30!! Next time I wont bother trying to leave advice.

Comment

Hi sarah,
            I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have too great an experience on IOTS... I have read at times mixed reviews about her. I've just finished a cruise on IOTS on April 16th.. I would agree there is a lot od sway but tbh the seas were a wee bit choppy and as we sailed past Guernsey en route home there was no movement as the seas were beuatifully calm.. The Windjammer was very busy but we always managed to find a table without having to wait. I went during the Scottish school break , my son is 14 and there lots of young people on board. They were absolutely very well behaved. Now at this time there were tons of disbled or people with problematic mobility because lots of W/C's and motorised scooters, I cannot comment on how they found the ship to negotiate but certainly there were lots. I would agree IOTS needs extra elevators The entertainment Food in the windjammer also we thrpughly enjoyed and never had reason to be disgruntled but as I say we may have been lucky. The bars on the promenade do need more seating but I so enjoyed this cruise I would return adn hope to on IOTS.. good luck next time, Lynn :-)

Comment

I will not be crusing with Royal carribean again and it has actually put me off crusing a bit. We spoke to people who had been on the other ships and they are all identical (different art work only).
              Hi Sarah, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your cruise but the price seems very good. I haven't been on Indy but I've been on Navigator twice - slightly smaller - and enjoyed both cruises, one Med and one Caribbean. Last year, we went on Radiance to Alaska - smaller again - and really liked this ship. Lots of windows and plenty of seating in pleasant bars and lounges. So don't give up on Royal Caribbean yet. Celebrity are a class above and you could well try the Eclipse if you dont want to fly.

Dont take this as a criticism but if you put your review on the Review section, you will get a free copy of the Complete Guide to European Cruises, which is very useful. Better luck next time and keep on posting.

Comment

I was thinking how well laid out it was, Sarah. I think it depends where your cabin is. We were on deck six, right by the lifts and near to everything we wanted.The royal promenade looks lovely in the brochure but everynight they put up tables right down the centre with t-shirts, jewellery, drink etc so it is impossible to get past the crowds of people. I agree, it was irritating at times. The food and service is not as great as other ships , it was ok but wasn't great. I agree, the food wasn't great, but I liked the service I received.The windjammer buffet is horrendous and most port days this is the only lunch option. There are too few seats so you have wait and walk around trying to find a seat, one day we waited 10 mins for a seat then I spent 10 mins in a queue for a salad.Timing is everything here. We used room service for an afternoon snack when we returned from the port but usually this was because the Winjammer was closed by the time we got back to the ship. The swimming pools are too small and there isnt enough loungers, There would be if passengers didn't reserve them then go off somewhere else for hours...because the ship is so high the sun deck is always windy definitely agree here so if you want to sunbathe you have to go to level 4 and sit with all the smokers. There is only one nightclub on the ship and it is a smoking area, it completely stinks so after 20 mins on the first night I didnt return, more like 20 seconds for me, Sarah lol, really unpleasant very dissappointing. This ships has very bad sway you can feel the ship moving so much, i think its because the ship is so high out of the water, i dont get sea sick however there were so many people very ill with sea sickness. The times in the ports was too short it would have been better having longer in the ports. I would have liked longer in ports too I will not be crusing with Royal carribean again and it has actually put me off crusing a bit. We spoke to people who had been on the other ships and they are all identical (different art work only). The crowd was VERY old I was only thinking the opposite, how many passengers of all ages I saw around and about and there was a very high number of passengers with mobility difficulties. I dont see how this is the holiday for these groups of people.
                It just shows how the same cruise can be a vastly different experience for different people.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn, cleland View Post
                  Hi sarah,
                  I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have too great an experience on IOTS... I have read at times mixed reviews about her. I've just finished a cruise on IOTS on April 16th.. I would agree there is a lot od sway but tbh the seas were a wee bit choppy and as we sailed past Guernsey en route home there was no movement as the seas were beuatifully calm.. The Windjammer was very busy but we always managed to find a table without having to wait. I went during the Scottish school break , my son is 14 and there lots of young people on board. They were absolutely very well behaved. Now at this time there were tons of disbled or people with problematic mobility because lots of W/C's and motorised scooters, I cannot comment on how they found the ship to negotiate but certainly there were lots. I would agree IOTS needs extra elevators The entertainment Food in the windjammer also we thrpughly enjoyed and never had reason to be disgruntled but as I say we may have been lucky. The bars on the promenade do need more seating but I so enjoyed this cruise I would return adn hope to on IOTS.. good luck next time, Lynn :-)
                  Quite agree, Lynn. I too enjoyed myself despite niggles here and there. Didn't use the lifts much and therefore didn't see the problems with them.

Comment

Saw lots of disabled people on the ship when i went. Wheelchairs crutches and walking sticks. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.
                    Each to his own i suppose. I personally loved it, and I'm 70+

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X