• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day Five Gondolas And Helicopters.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today we had a little later start. We were not being picked up until 10.15 so I decided to get up early and go for a walk around Banff. The town itself has around 8800 inhabitants and is not really that big to walk around. Essentially the town is just one main road with very small roads coming off of it. Of all the places I have stayed Banff is the most beautiful, nested in between snow covered mountains and towering fern trees. This morning it was especially beautiful, the sky was pure blue and the sun was shining down. The great thing about Banff is there is something for everyone. There are plenty of bars and restaurants. There is also so much to do in the surrounding area, Banff Springs, Caves Gondolas and more.

We left on the coach at 10.15 and drove up to the base of Sulphur Mountain to begin a Gondola tour. The gondola basically takes you more than 2000 feet to the summit. Going up the views are incredible. You can see everything, lakes, forests mountains even the whole town of Banff. At the top is a large structure that has restaurants, gift shops and more. From here you can walk further up maybe half a mile across wooden decking. There are quite a few steps but, this takes you to a further summit even higher where there is an old weather station. From this point the views are absolutely incredible. It is pretty much 360 degree, panoramic view. Every where you look is completely stunning.

Next we travelled to Kananaskis which means meeting of the two rivers. It was time for another highlight of my trip the helicopter tour. Upon arriving we were split into groups of 4,5 and 6. The groups were then weighed, I'm assuming making sure we weren't too heavy. When our turn came up we were walked to the helicopter and strapped in. Now if you are claustrophobic then this would defiantly not be for you. The seating area shall we say is very compact. Then it was time for take off. You could feel the power of the rotor blades as you left the ground. As it was such a sunny day you could see everything, as we climbed all the trees almost looked like little twigs, the lakes and mountains almost looked like they had been painted. On the flight we all had the ear guards on and the microphones so we could communicate but, to be honest no one was talking as we were just taking it all in. This was an excellent way to see the beauty of Canada, I would defiantly recommend it to anyone.

So I have now seen Canada by plane, train, helicopter and coach. Each was incredible in its own way. Tonight we arrived in Calgary. Tomorrow it will be more of a city tour, which I'm sure will be great but, it still seems a little sad that the picture perfect scenery will be left in Banff.
    Please call me on 0800 408 6079 or email me at dyland@cruise.co.uk

Why not visit my cruise blog and learn a little bit more about me!

http://www.dylandiscovers.blogspot.com

Thanks Dylan, wow I'm hooked!

For land based tours we love lakes & mountains, views from up high are always breathtakingly stunning, even better from the dimension of a helicopter ride. Sounds like a winning combination of cruise & stay (with quite a bit on the move) and lakes & mountains the ultimate "trains, planes, automobiles, boat and helicopter" tour.

I am hooked and the 2015 "Bucket List" option is looking good...
    Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Thanks Dylan. You brought the memories flooding back of a similar tour we did in May 2011. Our trip was in reverse, ending up in Vancouver where we picked up an Alaskan cruise. Interesting to read your views on the Rocky Mountaineer. They had not introduced Silver when we travelled with them, so we opted for Gold which was significantly more expensive than Red. From what you have said, Silver would seem to be the ideal option for anyone considering RM. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, as you seem to have done, and would recommend it.

Comment

Dylan I doubt if there are any fern trees in Banf these days, more likely down in New Zealand! There's always white water rafting to do on your list..Do you mean definitely recommend Canada, doubt you mean defiantly!! Alaska shuts down in September to the usual tourists you must have been nearly the last up there. Did you turn the lights off??

Comment

Originally posted by Retired, Sheffield View Post
          Dylan I doubt if there are any fern trees in Banf these days, more likely down in New Zealand! There's always white water rafting to do on your list..Do you mean definitely recommend Canada, doubt you mean defiantly!! Alaska shuts down in September to the usual tourists you must have been nearly the last up there. Did you turn the lights off??

Difficult to turn the lights off when you're not actually there to turn them off. Banff [ff, doubt you really meant 'f'] isn't in Alaska...well it wasn't the last time I checked and I have been there a couple of times [Alaska, not Banff], nor is Vancouver, Kamloops or Calgary.

You're right about those fern trees though. Dylan probably meant fir but the scenery just went to his head.
          Last edited by Mrs M; 5th October 2013, 05:07 PM. Reason: clarified Alaska, not Banff!!

Comment

I'm guessing predictive text took over but we all got the "gist" so don't be so "picky" Retired, Sheffield.

Have loved your blogs Dylan, I shall look forward to seeing all your 'pics'
            Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
              I'm guessing predictive text took over but we all got the "gist" so don't be so "picky" Retired, Sheffield.

Have loved your blogs Dylan, I shall look forward to seeing all your 'pics'
              Me too DQ.

Predictive text...another modernity I've not got.

Good thinking though Batman.

Comment

Also loving your Blog Dylan

A few fir trees in and around Banff when friends of our were there

In & around Banff, Canada May 2010 - a set on Flickr
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I have to remind myself that Dylan is / was on Pacific time eight hours behind us.....not sure about Calgary though. Enjoying your blog Dylan, bringing back memories of our wonderful trip to British Columbia......think I may have referred to it once or twice in your earlier blogs. Hope you will post plenty of photos on your return.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X