• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm off on the Rocky Mountaineer tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    started a topic I'm off on the Rocky Mountaineer tomorrow

I'm off on the Rocky Mountaineer tomorrow

I'm off on a trip of a lifetime tomorrow with Rocky Mountaineer, travelling from Vancouver to Kamloops, Jasper, Banf and Calgary.
    I will be updating this post daily to tell you about my travels so if you have any questions or want any specific information about my journey, feel free to ask.

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Day 5
    This morning we had a Jasper highlights tour which lasted 3 hours. It took us to two local lakes and there was lots of Elk on the way roaming wild. I took lots of photos which you can see on my blog. It's Sunday and the shops are shut, typical as we had the afternoon to our selves.
    at 19:00 we met Brian who is the manager of the hotel next door called the lobstick lodge.
    Dinner was served at the Chateau Jasper which is obese of the best meals I have ever had! Scallops to start and lamb for mains which was perfect.

Leave a comment:

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    I agree! Not much there at all! It was a little disappointing after a day on the Rocky Mountaineer. We met the local tourist board who was a little uninspiring but the rest of the trip is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Colin, Brighton UK
    replied
    It's hard to say what Kamloops is like, we arrived at 9.30pm and had to be up again at 5.30am for a 6.30 start. Our hotel was the Riverside which is little better than a motel but with a nice view. After the far too early start, we went 300 yards down the line, then sat in a siding for an hour whilst two, mile long freight trains trundled past at 5mph. I would have preferred to use the hour in bed.

Be careful, one couple didn't make the coach so it left without them. The driver said "if they get up, they'll have to get a taxi, the train won't wait."

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by David, Cruise.co.uk View Post
    Day three
    An early start to the day, the Rocky mountaineer station isn't far, perhaps 15 mins from the fairmont. Refreshments are being served before the departure ceremony. Bagpipes fill the room with excitement and eagerness to board the train.
    I was using the gold leaf service which consisted of an upper glass domed deck that seats up to 60. Downstairs offered a wonderful al a carte restaurant.
    Meals are served in two sittings with an extensive menu for both, I have copies of the menus which I'll publish on my return.
    If you happen to be given second sitting for breakfast don't panic the coffee juices and scones will be delivered to you while you wait.
    Don't worry you won't go hungry!
    For this day are destination was kamloops, we arrived ahead of schedule and was taken to the Coast hotel in a 10 minute drive. A strange hotel almost looking like a motel, are luggage was waiting in the room however I found this place a little disappointing and not in keeping with the high standards of the Rocky Mountaineer!

Kamloops is the weakest point on this journey in my opinion. When we arrived there it was really dried up and barren and we saw tumbleweeds blowing around, just like in wild west movies. You should see a real improvement in scenery from now on.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Day Four

Today we were picked up early and repeated the morning ritual with the departure ceremony. We left the luggage in the room at the hotel where it was taken to the next hotel in Jasper. Today's journey had much more to see, on the previous day it was quite Barron and desert looking but today as we climbed into the snow topped mountains the views were amazing. We also saw a grizzly bear! Tipping is suggested between $35 -$45 and is well deserved.
    On arrival into Jasper we transferred to the Chateau Jasper and had a free evening to relax and evaluate.

Leave a comment:

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Day three
    An early start to the day, the Rocky mountaineer station isn't far, perhaps 15 mins from the fairmont. Refreshments are being served before the departure ceremony. Bagpipes fill the room with excitement and eagerness to board the train.
    I was using the gold leaf service which consisted of an upper glass domed deck that seats up to 60. Downstairs offered a wonderful al a carte restaurant.
    Meals are served in two sittings with an extensive menu for both, I have copies of the menus which I'll publish on my return.
    If you happen to be given second sitting for breakfast don't panic the coffee juices and scones will be delivered to you while you wait.
    Don't worry you won't go hungry!
    For this day are destination was kamloops, we arrived ahead of schedule and was taken to the Coast hotel in a 10 minute drive. A strange hotel almost looking like a motel, are luggage was waiting in the room however I found this place a little disappointing and not in keeping with the high standards of the Rocky Mountaineer!

Leave a comment:

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Day two
    It's amazing that just minutes from the city you are emerged in rain forest nature and sheer beauty. Our first stop was to the world famous Capilano Suspension bridge in North Vancouver. There is a guided tour that takes you on nature walks, cliff walks and over the terrifying bridge, I only got half way!
    We then had a cycle tour around Stanley Park, this was brilliant and highly recommended. You can choose from 2 to 5 hour tours from $25 CAD.
    Next we were dropped off in Granville Island to have some free time, Granville island buzzes with life from dusk till dawn and hosts open markets for fresh produce and goods.
    It's been a really busy morning and Granville Island is a lunch stop.
    In the afternoon we went up the lookout tower, this normally costs around $20 per person and to top the day off we finished with a visit to Canada Place where the home of the FLY OVER is situated. This is a 4D cinema which has a flight from east to west over Canada. This will be the best $20 every spent, it's awesome.
    The evening finished with a tour from Fairmont around the hotel and dinner.

Leave a comment:

• All at sea, Yorks
    replied
    Its a wonderful part of the world and with good weather even better. Enjoy your your tour round Vancouver, I expect part of it will include Stanley Park and those amazing totem poles. Nice hotel to start with though, the one in Lake Louise is very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• David, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Well day one and I've just arrived into Vancouver, the flight went quick but very cramped for my 6"2 body! I'm sat in my room at the Fairmont looking over the harbour at the Island Princess is in. It's a very hot day here today!
    Free time this afternoon so I'm off for a wonder and to take some pictures. Tomorrow is a well planned day with tours around Vancouver so I'll fill you in tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• drewlin, wigan
    replied
    Have a great trip and look forward to reading all about it. It's one of those trips that looks fascinating and would certainly be 'once in a lifetime' for us.

Leave a comment:

• Val, Wolverhampton
    replied
    Bon voyage David, this trip is on my bucket list, just need to convince hubby, so I am hoping your blog will do the trick

Have a great time!

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    I'm so jealous I really want to do that, I shall be reading all about it. Hopefully will book something in 2015, fingers crossed.
    Have a great time.............................................. ...................Carol

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    We have always fancied doing this trip. We have driven between Vancouver and Calgary twice, once each way and it is an amazing trip. It is a 2600 KM drive and on the Vancouver to Calgary trip I drove all the way, with my mother and an elderly aunt as passengers. The train experience would be really different and I look forward to hearing about it.

Sheila
    Last edited by smtcan, Scarborough; 3rd June 2014, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jan lowden, sunderland (2)
    replied
    Sounds great David,I know it will be long days,but well worth it,Lucky you,look forward to reading your posts. Jan.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X