• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princess Ocean Medallion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    I get sick of the lecture telling me what I already know! "Don't keep it next to your phone". 🤦🏼*♂️
    My princess card lasted 25 days, next to the phone much of the time(I don't use lanyards, just pockets).

The OH had 5 cards before the phone was taken out of the case no more problems.

Some lines use a barcode for the essential task of getting on/off the ship, and the swipe is just for room and POS.

Not all RFID blocking wallets/sleeves will work to protect against static magnetic fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
      My princess card lasted 25 days, next to the phone much of the time(I don't use lanyards, just pockets).

The OH had 5 cards before the phone was taken out of the case no more problems.

Some lines use a barcode for the essential task of getting on/off the ship, and the swipe is just for room and POS.

Not all RFID blocking wallets/sleeves will work to protect against static magnetic fields.
      I really am starting to think that I’m just unlucky!

I’ve also found that the barcode can get quite faded after a little time. I must be doing something weird with my cruise cards!
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I'm sorry if this has been posted before - it sounds like it was announced last year but I missed it.

Princess are currently rolling out a new program called Ocean Medallion, and it sounds awesome!

A small quarter-sized medallion will be engraved with your name and sailing date and replace your SeaPass on board the ship.

You can just keep this in your pocket or bag, or you can wear it as a pendant or bracelet (a bit like the Disney MagicBand or the Royal Caribbean WOWBand). This will track you round the ship and enable a bunch of enhanced experiences which sound really cool.

Supposedly bar staff will know when you enter and can prompt you for your favourite drink. You can even enter the recipe for your favourite drink online before sailing and have them make 'Duncan's Fabulous Concoction' when you arrive in the bar.

You won't even need to take it our of your pocket to unlock your stateroom door; it works like modern car key fobs where you simply walk up and open the door. Magic!

You can track friends and family within the app and see where on board they are. Great for tracking your kids! We use Find My Friends at home and having a similar system on board sounds wonderful.

I believe iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc. will be free to use on board. You can also order drinks and food in the smartphone app and have this delivered to you without waiting for bar staff to come round. This sounds perfect!

This video explains a lot about the medallion. What do you all think? I have never been more tempted to book a Princess cruise!

There's also a load of information on the Princess website.

When did it roll out?

I thought the launch had been delayed because of technical issues. Passengers on the planned initial 'medallion' cruises received OBC as compensation for the missing technology.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          When did it roll out?

I thought the launch had been delayed because of technical issues. Passengers on the planned initial 'medallion' cruises received OBC as compensation for the missing technology.

Annie
          I don’t know for sure that it has. Most of the content about it on YouTube is press related stuff so the lack of passenger experiences posted may indicate that things aren’t quite working yet.

I’m sure there’s plenty about it in the other place. I’ll go digging later!
          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I don’t know for sure that it has. Most of the content about it on YouTube is press related stuff so the lack of passenger experiences posted may indicate that things aren’t quite working yet.

I’m sure there’s plenty about it in the other place. I’ll go digging later!
            I understand they were planning to roll out initially on the Regal in Nov 2017. Some cruisers have been advised that the technology will not be available for their cabins in April 2018.

Annie

Comment

I certainly would’t book a cruise just because of this new development. I actually find all this tracking a bit creepy. My youngest daughter recently showed me something in her phone which tracked her group of friends around the campus. A few days later, her grandfather was rushed to hospital and she went to see him. Her friends started txting her asking if she was ok - they thought that she herself had been taken to the hospital. Showing my age I suppose!
              Last edited by Victoria, Aberystwyth; 8th February 2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                I certainly would’t book a cruise just because of this new development. I actually find all this tracking a bit creepy. My youngest daughter recently showed me something in her phone which tracked her group of friends around the campus. A few days later, her grandfather was rushed to hospital and she went to see him. Her friends started txting her asking if she was ok - they thought that she herself had been taken to the hospital. Showing my age I suppose!
                Not just phones.

My IPod tracked my movements round Washington DC.

Dinosaur that I am, I don't want any ship tracking me whilst on board.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                  I've fancied trying Princess for a while for a plethora of other reasons. This development just shows a forward-thinking commitment to innovation which I really like.

Alex and I use Find My Friends to track some friends and our family. It's really handy sometimes! If we're making dinner for someone coming over after work we can get a notification when they leave work which makes timing easier.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I don't wear my cruise card round my neck and I certainly don't want to be walking round the ship with a bright blue or yukkie pink plastic watch looking device on the opposite wrist to my wrist watch and certainly not ashore. It would really take the edge off a classy watch.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                      I don't wear my cruise card round my neck and I certainly don't want to be walking round the ship with a bright blue or yukkie pink plastic watch looking device on the opposite wrist to my wrist watch and certainly not ashore. It would really take the edge off a classy watch.
                      That's OK. It's the size of a quarter and really light. You can just keep it in your pocket or wallet. No need to embed it in a wrist strap or any other wearable.
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I've fancied trying Princess for a while for a plethora of other reasons. This development just shows a forward-thinking commitment to innovation which I really like.

Alex and I use Find My Friends to track some friends and our family. It's really handy sometimes! If we're making dinner for someone coming over after work we can get a notification when they leave work which makes timing easier.
                        The medallion itself I would be fine with, as long as I had the option of switching off any tracking options.

Comment

We are on Royal Princess in April and at the time of booking it was advertised as an 'Ocean Medallion' cruise. However, none of the documentation we have mentions Ocean Medallion and friends in the US are telling us that the roll out has been delayed for up to a year.
                          Logic will get you from A to B.
                          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X