• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princess Ocean Medallion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Princess Ocean Medallion

I'm sorry if this has been posted before - it sounds like it was announced last year but I missed it.

Princess are currently rolling out a new program called Ocean Medallion, and it sounds awesome!

A small quarter-sized medallion will be engraved with your name and sailing date and replace your SeaPass on board the ship.

You can just keep this in your pocket or bag, or you can wear it as a pendant or bracelet (a bit like the Disney MagicBand or the Royal Caribbean WOWBand). This will track you round the ship and enable a bunch of enhanced experiences which sound really cool.

Supposedly bar staff will know when you enter and can prompt you for your favourite drink. You can even enter the recipe for your favourite drink online before sailing and have them make 'Duncan's Fabulous Concoction' when you arrive in the bar.

You won't even need to take it our of your pocket to unlock your stateroom door; it works like modern car key fobs where you simply walk up and open the door. Magic!

You can track friends and family within the app and see where on board they are. Great for tracking your kids! We use Find My Friends at home and having a similar system on board sounds wonderful.

I believe iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc. will be free to use on board. You can also order drinks and food in the smartphone app and have this delivered to you without waiting for bar staff to come round. This sounds perfect!

This video explains a lot about the medallion. What do you all think? I have never been more tempted to book a Princess cruise!

There's also a load of information on the Princess website.

Duncan S

See my blog!

I had some information through the post on this recently and thought it looked very innovative. I won't be interested in all of the features it is offering but I can see plenty that will be so useful. I wonder how much accessories like the strap will cost and how safe is your information?

Nice little keepsake too...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
      I had some information through the post on this recently and thought it looked very innovative. I won't be interested in all of the features it is offering but I can see plenty that will be so useful. I wonder how much accessories like the strap will cost and how safe is your information?

Nice little keepsake too...Carol
      I agree - nice keepsake. I'm not sure how much the accessories cost. In one unboxing video the recipient received the basic wrist strap for free though I don't know if that's the long-term plan. The packaging looked very luxurious and perhaps cost prohibitive to do for everyone? Also included was a glossy leaflet about the medallion along with a brochure for the optional accessories.

Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

...and here's me going to buy an RFID sleeve for my sea pass/card thingy in the hope it will stop the card being demagnetized by my camera/Kindle/Tablet...

Don't think I'm cut out for some C21st technology. Yet. As for a rubber bracelet, I'll stick to my wrist watch.

Comment

It looks like an expensive bit of kit and presumably when they are rolled out across the fleet they will be provided even on the mini cruises.

I rather fancy one, especially as I have also been known to demagnetize the strip on the sea pass card....Carol
          Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 8th February 2018, 05:16 PM. Reason: z instead of s!

Comment

A number of staff(Nov) on Royal princess were not looking forward to the problems this will create.

Princess free to use intranet is good and it has a browser interface as well as app based and works, 2 years ago it only worked a bit.

One issue all ships have to deal with is pax herding and location overload, app based ordering will not help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
              ...and here's me going to buy an RFID sleeve for my sea pass/card thingy in the hope it will stop the card being demagnetized by my camera/Kindle/Tablet...

Don't think I'm cut out for some C21st technology. Yet. As for a rubber bracelet, I'll stick to my wrist watch.
              It looks like an expensive bit of kit and presumably when they are rolled out across the fleet they will be provided even on the mini cruises.

I rather fancy one, especially as I have also been known to demagnetise the strip on the sea pass card....Carol
              I think more and more cruise lines will be switching over to RFID cards for SeaPass cards rather than the old magnetic strip. When we were on Anthem (which had RFID cards) we didn't have a single issue. On every cruise with a mag stripe card we've had to get it replaced at least once per cruise, despite not keeping it near electronics. They're just a nightmare.

So yeah, even ignore some of the crazy new technology, I think all cruise lines (and hotels, etc.) should be looking to move to RFID for room keys in line with their normal refurbishment/refit schedule.
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I rather fancy one, especially as I have also been known to demagnetise the strip on the sea pass card....Carol
                I managed it four times when we were both on QE last year Carol!! Hence the sleeve! I think Front Desk got a bit fed up with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  A number of staff(Nov) on Royal princess were not looking forward to the problems this will create.

Princess free to use intranet is good and it has a browser interface as well as app based and works, 2 years ago it only worked a bit.

One issue all ships have to deal with is pax herding and location overload, app based ordering will not help.
                  It's interesting you say that. In theory this technology should help cruise lines disperse crowds more easily.

The MagicBands at Walt Disney world give similar detailed tracking and crowd flow data to Disney. This allows them to try and balance this by adding a character meet and greet or some other attraction to help keep people spread around. The technology sounds like it's there, but whether Princess will use it to help reduce crowding is another guess.

App ordering might not reduce crowds but it will eliminate my frustration at having to go to a bar when the table service dries up, and if I'm on my own it means I don't need to leave my stuff to go to a bar (or risk losing my chair/table). The key thing here is that they implement it well. I should get an ETA on a food or drinks order, and some progress in-app to show me that it's being dealt with. If not, I'm just going to get frustrated anyway!
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I managed it four times when we were both on QE last year Carol!! Hence the sleeve! I think Front Desk got a bit fed up with me!
                    I get sick of the lecture telling me what I already know! "Don't keep it next to your phone". 🤦🏼*♂️
                    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                      I think more and more cruise lines will be switching over to RFID cards for SeaPass cards rather than the old magnetic strip. When we were on Anthem (which had RFID cards) we didn't have a single issue. On every cruise with a mag stripe card we've had to get it replaced at least once per cruise, despite not keeping it near electronics. They're just a nightmare.

So yeah, even ignore some of the crazy new technology, I think all cruise lines (and hotels, etc.) should be looking to move to RFID for room keys in line with their normal refurbishment/refit schedule.
                      I've started shoving my seapass in a back pocket in order to avoid electronics when I'm out and about the ship, and it still gets me into 'trouble''!

Must be our magnetic personalities Duncan!

Comment

I've started shoving my seapass in a back pocket in order to avoid electronics when I'm out and about the ship, and it still gets me into 'trouble''!

Must be our magnetic personalities Duncan!
                        That must be it! 😆👍🏼
                        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

We keep our cruise cards in our phone wallets, never had any issues with either rfid or magnetic stripes. Can't say I'm a fan of wearable tech, bought a fitbit and couldn't get on with it, to be fair I struggle to wear a watch most of the time. They had similar wristbands available on Meraviglia, much prefer a card

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                            We keep our cruise cards in our phone wallets, never had any issues with either rfid or magnetic stripes. Can't say I'm a fan of wearable tech, bought a fitbit and couldn't get on with it, to be fair I struggle to wear a watch most of the time. They had similar wristbands available on Meraviglia, much prefer a card
                            I find the convenience of the wrist strap great. It was nice to be able to wear it in the pool or hot tub and not worry about it. That said, the Royal Caribbean bands were a terrible material/quality. They look identical to images of the MSC ones. Disney's MagicBands are far more comfortable but presumably more expensive.

You've been lucky with the cards. Presumably Meraviglia has RFID room keys if they also have the bands. They wouldn't suffer from demagnetisation thankfully. I think I must just be unlucky... or it's that magnetic personality I share with Mrs. M! 😉
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                              I find the convenience of the wrist strap great. It was nice to be able to wear it in the pool or hot tub and not worry about it. That said, the Royal Caribbean bands were a terrible material/quality. They look identical to images of the MSC ones. Disney's MagicBands are far more comfortable but presumably more expensive.

You've been lucky with the cards. Presumably Meraviglia has RFID room keys if they also have the bands. They wouldn't suffer from demagnetisation thankfully. I think I must just be unlucky... or it's that magnetic personality I share with Mrs. M! ������
                              I'd go with the personality hehe

I was somewhat surprised when in a hotel in early January the receptionist told me not to put the key with my phone, just seemed very odd - must have been lucky as you say.

When we go off-ship we take a small wallet with a card, a few euros and the cruise card

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X