• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Are" standards being lowered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Are" standards being lowered?

I keep seeing on here and other cruising web sites that standards and service on P&O is being lowered. Staff 'not caring' (try another cruise line for evidence of that!!!!! Their tips are already there and they couldn't care less)

Not cruised this year yet, last cruise Jan/Feb last year and we thought everything was fine.

Mike AKA Rum Rat which is a big deal with some people

All the same?

It is very difficult to be subjective on this unless you are a frequent cruiser and know your subject very well.

There seems to be some reality in cut-backs with many cruise lines. What we would also like to see is something coming the other way by way of incentive to fill the ships in recessional times, peak periods they can normally do well but off peak the normal answer is to cut the price not raise the standard back up to where many of us remember it was in the past.

This is a really difficult subject. Will it ever get better? .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C, Isle of Wight View Post
      I keep seeing on here and other cruising web sites that standards and service on P&O is being lowered. Staff 'not caring' (try another cruise line for evidence of that!!!!! Their tips are already there and they couldn't care less)

Not cruised this year yet, last cruise Jan/Feb last year and we thought everything was fine.

Just back from Aurora and I saw no evidence at all the staff were 'not caring', quite the contrary. Read my review... 'Littler'

Comment

As a frequent P&O cruiser (3 times in the last 3 years and several times prior to that) I dont feel that any cutbacks have been implimented as far as quality of service goes, I still find them very attentative and ready to oblige.

The only thing I would say is, that the cutbacks that I have noticed have been in the choices available - they are still there but they have to be requsted now, and are not offered as they previously were, things like hot drinking chocolate and Danish Bue cheese to name but two.

Having recently returned on Oriana, I did find that perhaps the quality of the food served in the MDR was not to the same standard as before, but saying that it was plentiful and seconds were always available.
        sigpic
        Cruisings Cool

Comment

I think the crew are just as good as they have ever been, however if P&O continue to put "extra duties" on them then customer service is going to suffer, this is not a criticism of the cabin/dining stewards - they can only do so much in an allocated amount of time.

I can remember the time when cabin stewards had maybe 12 cabins to service, it is now double that amount, dining stewards used to have 3 tables at the most to service, again it is now double that amount so yes standards are not what they were but that isn't the fault of the crew.

I have certainly noticed a decline in the quality of food served in the last 2 or 3 years, it may be plentiful but that isn't much good if it is inedible, I refer mainly to the quality of meat, personally I would prefer smaller portions and better quality.
          Jo

Comment

I am also a frequent cruiser - 3 or so a year (10 assorted cruises since 2006), and as a NEW cruiser as well, have already seen cutbacks in what is provided onboard, but the staff seem as efficient as always.

Just back from Azura, the food portions are now a lot smaller than last year. This maybe FLEETWIDE since the new April 10-11 season not just onboard Azura.

I read before I went that this is to cut out waste, a lot of elderly for example were finding the portions too large and leaving a lot .

Well, on the 1st evening I was served with 2 small croquette potatoes, as the waiter went to move on I , like Oliver! asked for more! He came back and carefully spooned on 2 more.! They were small as well. We all thought the portions were small, the steak that is served plain seemed about 2ozs or more smaller than last year, and thinner too.

After the 1st night the waiters increased our portions (we don't have the soup course or cheese and biscuits so weren't getting a lot). MuminLaw who is a 82 yr old tiny lady then got SIX lamb chops the following night - abit OTT, but its double or small portions.

On the last night it was dover sole - normal portion One six inch thin sole, hubbie got 2 - and this was about right!

Also they are trialling not sending additonal labels to save money - we had to print off A4 paper labels, and although I laminated them. One case never made it to the cabin, and one case was in the disembarkation hall with no label on.
            Cruised on :
            P&O Azura,(1),+naming ceremony overnighter Arcadia(x3) Aurora (x3), Oceana, Oriana, Ventura (x2) , Celebrity Equinox, To come: Oriana May 2012
            Ship Visits:
            P&O Artemis, RCI Independence of the seas., HAL Prinsendam and
            Cunard QueenMary2
            (have photos of them all 'pm' me for album link)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C, Isle of Wight View Post

Comment

As I feared. First cruise booked, but if the food isn't up to standard (as some reports suggest) I won't be back for more.

What the accountants forget is that these things DO get noticed by customers. Not all of them will say anything - but they may use another company or simply ditch the idea of cruising.

From my point of view, this is very much a trial cruise with P&O. I've been singularly unimpressed with every single dealing I've had with them so far (and that's just at the booking stage) - clear evidence of corner-cutting. If that corner-cutting extends to the cruise itself, it will be the last one we book with P&O. Travelodge and EasyJet are all well and good in their way, but they charge low prices. P&O don't.

Comment

Originally posted by doc, Sevenoaks View Post
                  As I feared. First cruise booked, but if the food isn't up to standard (as some reports suggest) I won't be back for more.

What the accountants forget is that these things DO get noticed by customers. Not all of them will say anything - but they may use another company or simply ditch the idea of cruising.

From my point of view, this is very much a trial cruise with P&O. I've been singularly unimpressed with every single dealing I've had with them so far (and that's just at the booking stage) - clear evidence of corner-cutting. If that corner-cutting extends to the cruise itself, it will be the last one we book with P&O. Travelodge and EasyJet are all well and good in their way, but they charge low prices. P&O don't.
                  I had my first cruise with p&o couldn't fault the staff and thought the food was fantastic (nothing to compare it with). If you didn't like something you could always ask for something else, if you didn't get enough to eat try afternoon tea before dinner which i didn't do every day cos i could never eat my dinner when i did. Got a chocolate on my bed every night and the first formal evening every lady got a rose, and i wouldn't hesitate to go with them again ..............Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                    I had my first cruise with p&o couldn't fault the staff and thought the food was fantastic (nothing to compare it with). If you didn't like something you could always ask for something else, if you didn't get enough to eat try afternoon tea before dinner which i didn't do every day cos i could never eat my dinner when i did. Got a chocolate on my bed every night and the first formal evening every lady got a rose, and i wouldn't hesitate to go with them again ..............Carol
                    Thanks. I'm sure the quantity of food will be fine - it's the quality that concerns me, though. Particularly after reading this about P&O in the Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships 2010:

The cuisine is straightforward no-nonsense British food.....tends to be rather bland and uninspiring................typical of mass banquet catering with standard fare comparable to that found in a family hotel in an English seaside town like Scarborough..............

Comment

Originally posted by doc, Sevenoaks View Post

I understand your concerns, the food is of a good standard but does lacks variety and the menu is rotated.
                      I only booked with P&O once it was a pain, I have since used a cruise club it's great you get better deals and no problems.
                      My problem is I think I have had the halcyon days of cruising !!

Comment

I have had 4 cruises now with P & O, the last one being Aurora to Iceland this year. I noticed there have been suble cutbacks. On the other cruises I had a lovely pamper pack in the bathroom. This time there was just a bottle of shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion. I didn't notice that portions of food were smaller, but the quality of meat a couple of times in the main restaurant had definately deteriorated.

The steak was too tough to eat and one night the veal was very tough and neither my husband or I could eat it. Our waiter took it away and brought us some more thinly sliced, but it was still inedible. He apologised and said we weren't the only ones - a lot had been sent back that evening. We were offered an alternative. One evening I ordered an egg mayonnaise starter and when it arrived it was literally a hard boiled egg, cut into halves and each half had a blob of mayonnaise on it, which I thought was not very inspiring.

I agree with another comment that the staff seem smaller in numbers so have to do more work. Also we were told that a lot of the experienced staff had been posted to Azura, which meant there were a lot of trainees on our cruise.

I know of others who complained about the quality of the food and it was mentioned in our feedback at the end of the cruise, which I am sure P & O will take note of.

Having said that, it has not put us off cruising with P & O. I have put the last one down to a glitch and hope things have improved by our next cruise - we have 3 more booked with them at the moment.

Comment

Further to my above post I would mention that we dined in Cafe Bordeaux and the Pennant Grill and they were both excellent venues which I would recommend to anybody.

Comment

I guess the cuisine suited me because i'm quite a plain eater, i like garlic, but nothing spicy don't do any thing indian at all, even find cajun chicken too spicy. There were lots of things on the menu i had never even heard of (very sheltered life) but i enjoyed trying things and i could change it if i didn't like it, had beef wellington for the first time ever and all the meat i had, tasted fine to me, but then we're all different.
                            .................................................. ........Carol

Comment

We sailed with P&O for the first time on the Azura earlier this year and I must say I was surprised at the pamper pack in the cabin. I was expecting something special as it was specifically mentioned in the brochure. I queried this with the cabin steward as I thought he must have forgotten to put it in the bathroom, but no the shampoo conditioner and shampoo, not in a pack, was the 'pamper pack'. I don't know why they bothered to mention it in the brochure as that is the least you would expect to get on any cruise, nothing special about it at all. We found the food to be edible but a bit like school dinners with the vegetable selection the sane to accompany all main courses whether or not it went with the food. Having not sailed previously with P&O I can't say if standards have dropped but it was not really up to the standard we were expecting.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X