• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great British Sailaway Party.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Loads on P and O have never attended a sailaway..they're all down at customer services getting their grats removed.
    No idea what they will do next year when they are scrapped.
    Regards
    Garfield
    Hi Garfield, Are you guessing they are all down at the Pursers Desk or is it first hadn't information due to you being at the front of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
      All my sail away partys have been on P&O departing Gib and very fun affairs they have been.
      PS the poster leaves himself wide open to be criticized.

not sure if I have ever heard the NA being played?sung at a sail away ,but certainly land of hope and glory and other stirring tunes and has been said if one does NOT like the atmosphere on P&O then do not travel, maybe a russian ship will come along that will suit,
      Jim if it was I didn't hear it and I have done two world cruises with PO, in Australia , NZ and many other countries we visited there were many people on the quayside waving us goodbye and enjoying the music such as you describe, especially India and HK and Singapore but never was the National anthem played to my knowledge, and we had many other nationalities join in who were onboard who certainly didn't take offence to 'Land of Hope and Glory and such. CG
      sigpic

Comment

I am up for a good party and have no problem with the nationalist or regional port expressions.

What I think is often lacking is the reminder that we are about to sail out into the oceans.

I believe all sail aways should include a connection to the sea to remind us of how privileged we are to be able to sail in luxury.

"The tide is high" , "sailing" , "Titanic" , "I will survive"

anyone else got a connection to the seas song list?

Comment

Hi all.
          So!!my integrity is being questioned now.
          This is from a blog by a guy called Steve Vear from the 28th of July from P&O Britannia.

With union jacks flying, people dancing around and the entertainments team going at full pelt, the mood was vibrant and the sail away party was in full swing. With songs celebrating England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales , whether you had been to a great British sail away before or this was you first, I do not think you would have been disappointed with the sight and sounds of deck 16 in full party mode. As the national anthem playedand most people around the deck stood, our journey home was most certainly underway.

Steve Vear LIVE! | Thoughts and views while on and off cruise ships!

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I don't like the Union Jack waving thing, but then I don't like the Union Jack full stop. My anthem is Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and my flag is the Ddraig Goch. God Save the Queen was played as we left Gibraltar recently and I was surprised to see many older passengers remain seated

Comment

I repeat I have sailed many , many times on PO and have never heard the Anthem played at a sailaway also I note the remark that most people stood.CG
              sigpic

Comment

Well it was definitely played as we left Gibraltar. Most people stood up, well, most of them were already on their feet. However, a fair amount also remained seated (we were sitting in the bar area at the back of the Horizon on Deck 12).

Comment

I've heard it played too on P&O.I think it's should be played at official occasions, a sailaway isn't one of those in my view.Consulting passengers on preferences is a good idea. it might be well attended but who is to say it might not be better attended if people's up to date tastes were taken into account?
                  The sailaway on Carnival was a bit OTT perhaps for English tastes, but it was much more lively and fun. There is a probably a happy medium somewhere but consulting passengers is a good idea in my view.

Comment

There are cruise lines and ships aplenty for everybody's taste, if you don't like what's being offered on one go to another..one mans meat etc etc but please don't insult someone for enjoying that particular thing. Just move away or do something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                      Well it was definitely played as we left Gibraltar. Most people stood up, well, most of them were already on their feet. However, a fair amount also remained seated (we were sitting in the bar area at the back of the Horizon on Deck 12).
                      People may not stand for a variety of reasons.A number of the congregation at the Church I attend, don't stand for physical reasons.Others may not stand if it's not their Anthem or because they don't believe in standing. I would stand (even though I don't feel it should be played at such an occasion) but I would not feel insulted by those who did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                        Hi Garfield, Are you guessing they are all down at the Pursers Desk or is it first hadn't information due to you being at the front of the line.

I'll treat this with the contempt it deserves..
                        Regards
                        Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                          People may not stand for a variety of reasons.A number of the congregation at the Church I attend, don't stand for physical reasons.Others may not stand if it's not their Anthem or because they don't believe in standing. I would stand (even though I don't feel it should be played at such an occasion) but I would not feel insulted by those who did not.
                          True enough. I've never stood for God Save the Queen and I never will!

Comment

I have just picked this up on Cruise Critic, its from an American poster.

We have never sailed with P & O, we were tempted by an itinerary this year. Looked up the ship on YouTube.... and we stumbled up a thing called "The Great British Sailaway! I watched as my wife stared at the screen mouth wide open, she turned to me and said "is that a special Brexit themed cruise?" when i told her I think they do that on every cruise the decision was quickly made.; We have just booked with Celebrity!
                            www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                              I have just picked this up on Cruise Critic, its from an American poster.
                              I think the Americans were right not to book, leave the Great British Sailaways to the brits,, don't want the Americans spoiling it.😎
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 15th September 2018, 10:42 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X