• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great British Sailaway Party.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great British Sailaway Party.

Hi all
    Just returned from a cruise on P&O Ventura on Friday.

One of the traditions of P&O is the flag waving Great British Sailaway Party,,,,personally i think it should be done away with.
    The party itself is good with songs like 'Rocking all over the World' really getting people going,,,,,but why o why do they have to go into the pomp & circumstance bit,,,,,its cringe worthy,especially the national anthem.

P&O still seem to be living in the 1930's of cap doffing,,,,,the ship had a mixed passenger list including many Japanese/Chinese,,East Europeans and many other nationalities.

We won the quiz at the British Pub party teamed up with a Belgian girl and her boyfriend from Cork.

This is an American owned company with a mixed foreign clientele,,,,you don't get the US anthem on US ships,or the Italian anthem on Italian ships.

Give it a rest i say!!!
    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all

One of the traditions of P&O is the flag waving Great British Sailaway Party,,,,personally i think it should be done away with.
    The party itself is good with songs like 'Rocking all over the World' really getting people going,,,,,but why o why do they have to go into the pomp & circumstance bit,,,,,its cringe worthy,especially the national anthem.

P&O still seem to be living in the 1930's of cap doffing,,,,,the ship had a mixed passenger list including many Japanese/Chinese,,East Europeans and many other nationalities.

We won the quiz at the British Pub party teamed up with a Belgian girl and her boyfriend from Cork.

This is an American owned company with a mixed foreign clientele,,,,you don't get the US anthem on US ships,or the Italian anthem on Italian ships.

Give it a rest i say!!!
    JC
    They do have a British night on the Royal Princess complete with the Union Jack etc. I had to leave after 5 minutes.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      They do have a British night on the Royal Princess complete with the Union Jack etc. I had to leave after 5 minutes.

Annie
      Hi Annie
      They have a British Night in the pub,,,,a quiz with the theme Britain,,,a sing song etc,,,,,,,but without the Pomp & Circumstance last night at the proms stuff.

I even had a flag myself.....

I asked my wife to take the picture just for JohnR and GG...

Comment

I was surprised when on Navigator on 4th July that the only celebration was a large cake with the US flag iced on it, the same as they produced for Canada Day on board which had the Canadian flag. It was cut on the promenade and there was a LOT left over! Parties are great but I would agree there was no place for the National Anthem.

Comment

It's been a while since I last sailed with P&O, they hadn't reached the dizzy heights of Status Quo at that stage, more Roll Out The Barrel and other cringeworthy WW2 vaudeville type dross.

I remember leaving a Med port sailing close to a Princess and a Holland America ship, where their inmates just stared in disbelief at the antics of the flag waving P&O Aurora crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for sailaways, but other lines do it far more upbeat and up to date..............Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi all

Give it a rest i say!!!
            JC
            It's one of the reasons we wont sail with P&O, I know some people like it so each to their own.

Even if they stopped it we would not sail with them.

John

Comment

That sounds a little cringe-y. Then again, I love The Last Night of the Proms which sounds like it has similar music. Pomp and Circumstance really get the goosebumps going. I wonder if it's mostly for the non-British passengers? Like a Disneyland-esque 'British experience'?

MSC's Time To Say Goodbye when leaving ports is also very cringe-y, but it has the desired hair-raising effect on me!

Basically it's cheesy, but maybe I like it? 🤔
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                That sounds a little cringe-y. Then again, I love The Last Night of the Proms which sounds like it has similar music. Pomp and Circumstance really get the goosebumps going. I wonder if it's mostly for the non-British passengers? Like a Disneyland-esque 'British experience'?

MSC's Time To Say Goodbye when leaving ports is also very cringe-y, but it has the desired hair-raising effect on me!

I only recall the MSC's Goodbye theme when we sailed away from Cape Town - the last departure of the season. There were locals on the quayside with banners etc.

When leaving Hakodate in Japan this year (Celebrity's last departure of the season), the mayor appeared and town brass band played on the quayside as we left. It was well done without OTT.

Annie

Comment

We have sailed out of Warnemunde twice, (Celebrity and Azamara) both times around 21.00 with music from the quayside, fireworks and lots of small boats sailing out around us, great atmosphere and as Annie says not OTT.

John

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post

I too am a goosebumps music person and Elgar really hits me. We have visited Liverpool on three occasions with QE and QV and their goodbyes to us surpass anything I've ever come across [OK, Hamburg comes pretty close]. Gerry and the Pacemakers to Sartori/Quarantotto to Elgar et al. Wonderful. Interestingly, the music is all shoreside and not from ''us''.

We love them and so do all the nationalities we speak to, especially the Americans.

Comment

I agree Mrs M it really hits me also Elgar and the other well know pieces are played, nothing wrong in being proud sort of this music, I sailed around the world with French , Belgium and America couples and they used to love it! CG
                      sigpic

Comment

Our sail away 'parties' include music from the entertainment team, an introduction from the CD including the speakers and a cocktail appropriate to the country we are sailing from. Held on deck if the weather is good, in the theatre if wet. Not cheesy but welcoming. Sail always from other ports vary, and can be opera, popular music or local groups, who obviously leave before the ship sails.

Comment

TBH, why not, It's a cruise ship aimed towards a British experience, a lot of people like it, if you don't, then don't go, you are not forced to. It's just a bit of fun .................................................. ............Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                            TBH, why not, It's a cruise ship aimed towards a British experience, a lot of people like it, if you don't, then don't go, you are not forced to. It's just a bit of fun .................................................. ............Carol
                            Totally agree Carol, long may it continue especially when the ship departs from Gibralter.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                              Hi Carol
                              I don't think the Japaese couple finding half a dozen Brits waving little plastic flags in their faces found it funny.
                              But I think you may be right in your advice,,,and I will seriously think about booking another cruise line in the future.

JC

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X