• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P&O Drink Package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jc, liverpool
    started a topic P&O Drink Package

P&O Drink Package

Hi all
    Who would have thought it,,another one joins the modern world of cruising.
    Is this fleet wide or just a one ship trial?,,I had heard they were setting up a trial.

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resou...ks_Package.pdf

JC

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Interestingly, the ships I have been on even with AI sometimes require you to sign, even though it nets off to zero; that's with both MSC and NCL
    On Celebrity - no chits for DP.

On Princess - no-one signs and chits are only given, on request, if the transaction exceeds a certain value.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
    It’s true that drinks are reasonably priced on P&O, and it is also true that you were able to bring a reasonable amount of alcohol on board with you to have in your cabin (at least it was last November) . What annoys my husband is the continual signing of chits when a DP is not included. We had a standard DP on our recent Celebrity cruise and it was easier to just hand over the card to get our drinks without having to sign anything. I guess hubby feels that in this day and age, technology should be able to get past that particular bug bear of his.

Take care, Helen������
    Interestingly, the ships I have been on even with AI sometimes require you to sign, even though it nets off to zero; that's with both MSC and NCL

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    It’s true that drinks are reasonably priced on P&O, and it is also true that you were able to bring a reasonable amount of alcohol on board with you to have in your cabin (at least it was last November) . What annoys my husband is the continual signing of chits when a DP is not included. We had a standard DP on our recent Celebrity cruise and it was easier to just hand over the card to get our drinks without having to sign anything. I guess hubby feels that in this day and age, technology should be able to get past that particular bug bear of his.

Take care, Helen🍸

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
    Is this a reasonable summary of DP v PAYG?

Many people on any holiday need to drink

Cheers

Tony B
    'Need to drink' ?? are you implying they have a problem with alcohol ??

May I suggest a better phrase - enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    Is this a reasonable summary of DP v PAYG?

Many people on any holiday need to drink.
    Some of these drink alcohol.
    Some of these drink non-alcoholic drinks.
    Some of these prefer to pay as they go because they are then in control of both consumption and spend.
    Some like to pay for a DP, either because they "make a profit" on their normal holiday consumption or they like the freedom of a known budget.

Cruise lines realised that many potential new cruisers were being put off because they heard horror stories of bar bills, when many land based holidays were offering both AI and cheap bars.
    Some cruise lines brought in a range of "packages" including a competitive AI drinks package. (Often an alcoholic and non-alcoholic option).
    Cruise lines manipulate the price of both DPs and PAYG (inc offers of the day) to their own profits and never make an overall loss on either.
    Cruisers have the choice by calculating the relative cost of a DP against their estimated consumption and budget.

Following the lead of traditional holiday companies. some companies went AI only. Others started to offer "Free" AI drinks packages without the option to a non DP option for equivalent cabins.

So cruisers now have the choice of sailing with companies that offer what they particularly want - for example those who don't consume many "to pay for" drinks and only want PAYG are excluded from Marella, Pulmantur and Azamara.

Until their recent announcement P and O was avoided by some who only want their drinks as a DP. Now cruisers can make a choice. So it seems inevitable that all cruise lines will be offering a DP in the near future.

Finally - some DPs are better value than others, when you compare price per drink - Assume 10 drinks per day then a £20 a day DP costs £2 a drink and a £40 a day DP will cost you £4 a drink.

So I suggest we are all capable of making our own assessments and DPs are good for some cruisers, and as long as PAYG cruisers want that option many cruise lines will keep it (NCL).

Cheers

Tony B

Leave a comment:

• Victoria, Aberystwyth
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
    You just have to accept that when you post about drink packages, half of the posts will be from teetotallers, singles or those warning you about the dangers of alcohol.
    The other half can carry on killing ourselves, wasting our money and having fun
    Why do drinkers often assume that you can't have fun unless you're drinking alcohol?! Your classification is so black and white.

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    Met some woman on Magnifica earlier this year, Diamond on RCCL, status matched to Black on MSC then whinging there's no free cocktails, said she had never paid for an alcoholic drink in all her cruises. Was at the cruise critic whinge and whine with a glass of water from the buffet. Biggest moan was no free cocktail hours... Paid less than £150 inc flight for 2 nights... she'd probably have peeled an orange in her pocket
    Thanks, that made me laugh out loud!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
    Which is strange as I have been to many all inclusive resorts and never see it that way. Guess I must be looking in the wrong place or going to the wrong resorts

I am surprised companies like First Choice survive if it is just a drinking challenge.
    I guess the difference is cheap 'local' spirits in these resorts? Have you ever tasted Egyptian whisky

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by Earnie, Leeds View Post
    I am coming late into this discussion, we regularly cruise on P & O and yes both my husband and I drink, but I am struggling totally as to how anyone can manage to spend an additional £1200 on alcohol for this offer to break even on a 2 week holiday. P & O drinks prices are relatively reasonable and coupled with your bring on board allowance and any on board spend seems to be a very expensive offer. Compare this to Fred where the package is £20 a day all inclusive I believe and with a discount on bottles of wine, champagne etc. Add all this to a port intensive itinerary and you would just loose out financially.

Or have I missed something here?
    The cruiselines are well aware that many will not break even, especially at £40 per day, and a lot higher on the likes of Celebrity. There are winners and losers and they know know they are not going to lose out on the deal...........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    yes, a few hotel directors on the ships that I've met have said they brief the crew that the Brits see all inclusive as a challenge!
    Which is strange as I have been to many all inclusive resorts and never see it that way. Guess I must be looking in the wrong place or going to the wrong resorts

I am surprised companies like First Choice survive if it is just a drinking challenge.

Leave a comment:

replied
    yes, a few hotel directors on the ships that I've met have said they brief the crew that the Brits see all inclusive as a challenge!

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    I am coming late into this discussion, we regularly cruise on P & O and yes both my husband and I drink, but I am struggling totally as to how anyone can manage to spend an additional £1200 on alcohol for this offer to break even on a 2 week holiday. P & O drinks prices are relatively reasonable and coupled with your bring on board allowance and any on board spend seems to be a very expensive offer. Compare this to Fred where the package is £20 a day all inclusive I believe and with a discount on bottles of wine, champagne etc. Add all this to a port intensive itinerary and you would just loose out financially.

Welcome to the forum Eirnie.

Its all down to Marketing ,we all know the Celebrity Free Drink Package is not free ,but included in the price we pay.
    And some people do look at the package as a challenge ,Like you we are modest drinkers ,but we do find the drink package handy as we drink lots of water and teas during the day, wine and beer at night ,but get no bill at the end.
    Personally I would not buy a drink package ...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied

It is all about choice and convenience isn't it?

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Earnie, Leeds
    replied

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X