• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P&O Drink Package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Plus 1
    Garfield..
    Thanks Garfie

TBH, DP don't factor into my evaluation of a cruise itinerary.

I don't like the cost of the DP included in the fare as I often pay a solo penalty on it. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, many of us enjoy the complimentary cocktail hours.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Plus 1
    Garfield..

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
    So it now truly is the battle of the drinks packages when considering cruise deals.

Like many of you, I work out total cost of a cruise (AI or cost of elements) and this will make it easier to include P and O in future, as at up to £6.95 a drink and about 12 drinks a day I would normally add about £60 a day pp (£400 a week) to the P and O cruise price compared to £160 for MSC.

RCI/Celeb/NCL are all wrapping their DPs into a pseudo or full AI, but their total price with drinks seems to be about £300 extra.

So will this make me consider P and O (Only one previous cruise with them) - probably just, if the £40 includes service.

p.s. as reasonable drinkers we consider the DP as a budgetary convenience rather than drinking to get maximum value. Most DPs "break even" with PAYG at about 8 mixed drinks a day, which we easily achieve.

Cheers

Tony B
    Is it??

Many cruisers do not drink alcohol or sail with a partner who does not drink.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    So it now truly is the battle of the drinks packages when considering cruise deals.

Like many of you, I work out total cost of a cruise (AI or cost of elements) and this will make it easier to include P and O in future, as at up to £6.95 a drink and about 12 drinks a day I would normally add about £60 a day pp (£400 a week) to the P and O cruise price compared to £160 for MSC.

RCI/Celeb/NCL are all wrapping their DPs into a pseudo or full AI, but their total price with drinks seems to be about £300 extra.

So will this make me consider P and O (Only one previous cruise with them) - probably just, if the £40 includes service.

p.s. as reasonable drinkers we consider the DP as a budgetary convenience rather than drinking to get maximum value. Most DPs "break even" with PAYG at about 8 mixed drinks a day, which we easily achieve.

Cheers

Tony B
    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 13th July 2018, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
    Hi JC.
    According to P&O's web site .it will be trialed on Azura from the 21st July ,no mention of it going fleet wide yet....Taffy
    Hi Taffy
    I hope they do,,,,thats my future cruises sorted out.....P&O and Celebrity.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    I was just looking at a P&O cruise earlier today.

Interesting about the drinks package. Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day with a maximum price of £6.95 per drink. I have two questions.

1) £6.95 seems very low. Does that really include 'almost everything'. What's excluded?. I'd pay more than that for a nice cocktail in a city.

2) Does the 15 drink limit only apply to alcoholic drinks. i.e. can you still get fresh juices and speciality coffee and have this not count towards your 15 drink limit?

It's certainly an interesting approach, but feels restrictive compared to other cruise lines. Do they worry that their passengers won't drink responsibly?
    P&O's drinks prices are very reasonable and there is no 15% added. Just about every drink would be available for the £6.95, and apparently you get 20% off if you buy a drink dearer than £6.95 .

I think £40.00 a day is way to much for the cost of the drinks on board, and you would have to actually drink 15 to make it worth while. Unless they are now going to put the prices up! ................................................Ca rol
    Last edited by carol, welwyn garden city; 13th July 2018, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all
    Who would have thought it,,another one joins the modern world of cruising.
    Is this fleet wide or just a one ship trial?,,I had heard they were setting up a trial.

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resou...ks_Package.pdf

JC
    Hi JC.
    According to P&O's web site .it will be trialed on Azura from the 21st July ,no mention of it going fleet wide yet....Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Not for us better for us to pay as you go...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    At £40 per day day it is not exactly cheap compared to C&MV at £17 per day or Costa at around £26 per day, neither having an upper limit ceiling...........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    From the P&O website Annie,

Each guest aged 18 years (21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 *litre of wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the ship for the first time *only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored and returned to you prior to the end of your *cruise.
    Thanks Wilba. On US lines you can't take on board spirits - so P&O are more generous.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    If I recall correctly, the 15 drink limitation operates on several of the Carnival US brands.

Jusr curious as I understand it, P&O are geberous in the amount of alcohol you can bring on board for consumption in your cabin - will that policy change? Just curious.

Annie
    From the P&O website Annie,

Each guest aged 18 years (21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 *litre of wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the ship for the first time *only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored and returned to you prior to the end of your *cruise.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Holland America's drink package has the same 15 drink limitation
    If I recall correctly, the 15 drink limitation operates on several of the Carnival US brands.

Jusr curious as I understand it, P&O are generous in the amount of alcohol you can bring on board for consumption in your cabin - will that policy change? Just curious.

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    We know from our last "x" cruises what our drinks quantity/cost are pretty accurately on P&O. It works out at about £20 a day each so £40 a day each is a complete no, no.

There might be an unforseen benefit in that the waiters will be so busy serving those determined to get their money's worth we might have to wait so long and that will cut down our consumption.
    Last edited by JohnR, Chippenham; 13th July 2018, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    I was just looking at a P&O cruise earlier today.

Interesting about the drinks package. Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day with a maximum price of £6.95 per drink. I have two questions.

1) £6.95 seems very low. Does that really include 'almost everything'. What's excluded?. I'd pay more than that for a nice cocktail in a city.

2) Does the 15 drink limit only apply to alcoholic drinks. i.e. can you still get fresh juices and speciality coffee and have this not count towards your 15 drink limit?

It's certainly an interesting approach, but feels restrictive compared to other cruise lines. Do they worry that their passengers won't drink responsibly?
    Holland America's drink package has the same 15 drink limitation

Leave a comment:

• Tiptopships, Paris
    replied
    I don't want to be a killjoy, and I understand all the points about people being on holiday, but 15 alcoholic drinks per day? I know someone will justify it by reference to mimosas and seemingly reasonable calculations including small desert wines after lunch which all add up etc etc, but we all know that's not what people do. And definitely not what some British people do. Binge drinking is a danger and one that shouldn't be facilitated, even on holiday.

Assuming each drink is only one unit of alcohol (highly unlikely), that's over 100 units per week. Liver damage happens way below that level.

I know that comment won't find favour here with the people who defend alcohol as if it's an everyday jolly social lubricant, but ask yourselves has behaviour on cruise ships improved or declined in recent years?

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X