• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P&O Drink Package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Why is it so complicated? What is wrong with choose any type of cabin and choose any way to buy your drinks, package or PAYG.

One thing is sure, it is to the cruise lines advantage not the passengers. Most passengers will not get their moneys worth or they wouldn't be doing it.
    Certain cruise lines try to complicate it by including a 'free' DP in the pricing of certain cabins. It is called Marketing

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 14th July 2018, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
    Dear Annie and Garfield,

as ever I have to clarify that my post was aimed at cruisers like me who enjoy a holiday without worrying about how much extra I am spending on what I see as essential - Coffees, waters, wine and spirits.

IMHO many cruisers like a drink and appreciate DPs for many reasons, but I accept there are those who prefer PAYG.

The good news for PAYG customers is that NCL have now gone back to offering cruises without a drinks package for those who do not drink a lot.

Unfortunately I see many lines now increasing their PAYG drinks prices to suggest their "free" or "inclusive" DP offers are worth many hundreds of pounds so PAYG cruisers are losing out both ways.

Just consider NCL where many drinks are priced at £8 to £10 plus gratuity. The difference between their cruise-only and AI prices is about £35 a day, so PAYG passengers , who also lose ability to choose cabin, start to lose out after only 4 drinks.

Celebrity is different where the differential between an inside cabin (no DP) and a balcony with free DP on an 8 day cruise is an amazing £900. There is no option for a balcony with no DP, so PAYG customers are limited to inside cabins.

So it appears for PAYG customers you need an almost bottomless pocket approach to pricing your cruise - fine if it suits you.

Cheers

Tony B
    Why is it so complicated? What is wrong with choose any type of cabin and choose any way to buy your drinks, package or PAYG.

One thing is sure, it is to the cruise lines advantage not the passengers. Most passengers will not get their moneys worth or they wouldn't be doing it.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
    and on, and on, not far off
    I love watching tennis but prefer live matches.

I confess I have stopped watching - I don't connect with either player the same way I did with Del Po and his match with Nadal. I am neutral. I didn't enjoy the Isner-Mahut match of a few years ago either.

Just pleased I am not seated in the Royal Box - you would be obliged to stay to the end

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
    Met some woman on Magnifica earlier this year, Diamond on RCCL, status matched to Black on MSC then whinging there's no free cocktails, said she had never paid for an alcoholic drink in all her cruises. Was at the cruise critic whinge and whine with a glass of water from the buffet. Biggest moan was no free cocktail hours... Paid less than £150 inc flight for 2 nights... she'd probably have peeled an orange in her pocket
    Am I surprised ? - no

The free cocktail hours is a reason why many continue to cruise with them.

On my last cruise, it was a voucher system because over one third of the passenger list were eligible.

They are also eligible for free mimosas at breakfast.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Thought you'd be watching the tennis, probably only another couple of hours left in this one (going for 25-23)
    and on, and on, not far off
    Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 13th July 2018, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    You are not alone Garfie. A 3 hour free cocktail session most days on RCI is a nice perk.

Why do you think these repo cruises on Celebrity and RCI are popular with diamond/elite passengers

Annie
    Met some woman on Magnifica earlier this year, Diamond on RCCL, status matched to Black on MSC then whinging there's no free cocktails, said she had never paid for an alcoholic drink in all her cruises. Was at the cruise critic whinge and whine with a glass of water from the buffet. Biggest moan was no free cocktail hours... Paid less than £150 inc flight for 2 nights... she'd probably have peeled an orange in her pocket

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Thought you'd be watching the tennis, probably only another couple of hours left in this one
    I can multi-task

Imagine footballers having to play this length of match

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Hi Tony
    I agreed with Annie as if you read up thread my partner very, very rarely drinks alcohol so a DP for me comes at £80 a day due to the policy of both in the cabin must purchase.
    Cheaper to pay as I go.
    We tend to spend every possible chance off the ship and mainly book port intensive cruises and only have a drink in the evening.
    Hope that clears up any confusion.
    Our next 4 cruises are either RCI or Celebrity and with our status we have use of the Diamond lounge for a while in the evenings.
    Regards
    Garfield
    You are not alone Garfie. A 3 hour free cocktail session most days on RCI is a nice perk.

Why do you think these repo cruises on Celebrity and RCI are popular with diamond/elite passengers

Annie

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Behave

As a solo we are often penalised if we buy a fare which includes a DP. That doesn't mean I don't buy them!

Annie
    Thought you'd be watching the tennis, probably only another couple of hours left in this one (going for 25-23)

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    You just have to accept that when you post about drink packages, half of the posts will be from teetotallers, singles or those warning you about the dangers of alcohol.
    The other half can carry on killing ourselves, wasting our money and having fun
    Behave

As a solo we are often penalised if we buy a fare which includes a DP. That doesn't mean I don't buy them!

Annie

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    You just have to accept that when you post about drink packages, half of the posts will be from teetotallers, singles or those warning you about the dangers of alcohol.
    The other half can carry on killing ourselves, wasting our money and having fun

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Dear Tony
    I agreed with Annie as if you read up thread my partner very, very rarely drinks alcohol so a DP for me comes at £80 a day due to the policy of both in the cabin must purchase.
    Cheaper to pay as I go.
    We tend to spend every possible chance off the ship and mainly book port intensive cruises and only have a drink in the evening.
    Hope that clears up any confusion.
    Our next 4 cruises are either RCI or Celebrity and with our status we have use of the Diamond lounge for a while in the evenings.
    Regards
    Garfield
    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 13th July 2018, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
    Dear Annie and Garfield,

as ever I have to clarify that my post was aimed at cruisers like me who enjoy a holiday without worrying about how much extra I am spending on what I see as essential - Coffees, waters, wine and spirits.

IMHO many cruisers like a drink and appreciate DPs for many reasons, but I accept there are those who prefer PAYG.

The good news for PAYG customers is that NCL have now gone back to offering cruises without a drinks package for those who do not drink a lot.

Unfortunately I see many lines now increasing their PAYG drinks prices to suggest their "free" or "inclusive" DP offers are worth many hundreds of pounds so PAYG cruisers are losing out both ways.

Just consider NCL where many drinks are priced at £8 to £10 plus gratuity. The difference between their cruise-only and AI prices is about £35 a day, so PAYG passengers , who also lose ability to choose cabin, start to lose out after only 4 drinks.

Celebrity is different where the differential between an inside cabin (no DP) and a balcony with free DP on an 8 day cruise is an amazing £900. There is no option for a balcony with no DP, so PAYG customers are limited to inside cabins.

So it appears for PAYG customers you need an almost bottomless pocket approach to pricing your cruise - fine if it suits you.

Cheers

Tony B
    Hi Tony

On my last 2 cruises, I met many an American cruiser who does not drink alcohol often on medical grounds. On a trans-Pacific cruise I was asked by an Aussie to join her table in the MDR as she felt conspicuous because she was the only drinker at her table

I never ass-u-me that all cruisers drink alcohol. I have met many who do not touch a drop. The majority of my table mates at dinner did not drink.

Annie

PS I would check your numbers on Celebrity and I thought you could book a guarantee cabin on Celebrity that came without perks but that may have changed.
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• toshtosh, Guiseley
    replied
    Thanks Garfie

TBH, DP don't factor into my evaluation of a cruise itinerary.

I don't like the cost of the DP included in the fare as I often pay a solo penalty on it. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, many of us enjoy the complimentary cocktail hours.

Annie
    Dear Annie and Garfield,

Cheers

Tony B

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    Thanks Garfie

I don't like the cost of the DP included in the fare as I often pay a solo penalty on it. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, many of us enjoy the complimentary cocktail hours.

Annie
    That is my preference, sit in the lounge on RCI ships, have a few drinks and chat to other passengers. On my last cruise I developed a taste for lemon drop martinis.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X