• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P&O Drink Package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
    Hi JC.
    According to P&O's web site .it will be trialed on Azura from the 21st July ,no mention of it going fleet wide yet....Taffy
    Hi Taffy
    I hope they do,,,,thats my future cruises sorted out.....P&O and Celebrity.
    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

So it now truly is the battle of the drinks packages when considering cruise deals.

Like many of you, I work out total cost of a cruise (AI or cost of elements) and this will make it easier to include P and O in future, as at up to £6.95 a drink and about 12 drinks a day I would normally add about £60 a day pp (£400 a week) to the P and O cruise price compared to £160 for MSC.

RCI/Celeb/NCL are all wrapping their DPs into a pseudo or full AI, but their total price with drinks seems to be about £300 extra.

So will this make me consider P and O (Only one previous cruise with them) - probably just, if the £40 includes service.

p.s. as reasonable drinkers we consider the DP as a budgetary convenience rather than drinking to get maximum value. Most DPs "break even" with PAYG at about 8 mixed drinks a day, which we easily achieve.

Cheers

Tony B
      Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 13th July 2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
        So it now truly is the battle of the drinks packages when considering cruise deals.

Like many of you, I work out total cost of a cruise (AI or cost of elements) and this will make it easier to include P and O in future, as at up to £6.95 a drink and about 12 drinks a day I would normally add about £60 a day pp (£400 a week) to the P and O cruise price compared to £160 for MSC.

RCI/Celeb/NCL are all wrapping their DPs into a pseudo or full AI, but their total price with drinks seems to be about £300 extra.

So will this make me consider P and O (Only one previous cruise with them) - probably just, if the £40 includes service.

p.s. as reasonable drinkers we consider the DP as a budgetary convenience rather than drinking to get maximum value. Most DPs "break even" with PAYG at about 8 mixed drinks a day, which we easily achieve.

Cheers

Tony B
        Is it??

Many cruisers do not drink alcohol or sail with a partner who does not drink.

Annie

Comment

Plus 1
          Garfield..

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
            Plus 1
            Garfield..
            Thanks Garfie

TBH, DP don't factor into my evaluation of a cruise itinerary.

I don't like the cost of the DP included in the fare as I often pay a solo penalty on it. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, many of us enjoy the complimentary cocktail hours.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Thanks Garfie

I don't like the cost of the DP included in the fare as I often pay a solo penalty on it. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, many of us enjoy the complimentary cocktail hours.

Annie
              That is my preference, sit in the lounge on RCI ships, have a few drinks and chat to other passengers. On my last cruise I developed a taste for lemon drop martinis.
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Thanks Garfie

TBH, DP don't factor into my evaluation of a cruise itinerary.

Annie
                Dear Annie and Garfield,

as ever I have to clarify that my post was aimed at cruisers like me who enjoy a holiday without worrying about how much extra I am spending on what I see as essential - Coffees, waters, wine and spirits.

IMHO many cruisers like a drink and appreciate DPs for many reasons, but I accept there are those who prefer PAYG.

The good news for PAYG customers is that NCL have now gone back to offering cruises without a drinks package for those who do not drink a lot.

Unfortunately I see many lines now increasing their PAYG drinks prices to suggest their "free" or "inclusive" DP offers are worth many hundreds of pounds so PAYG cruisers are losing out both ways.

Just consider NCL where many drinks are priced at £8 to £10 plus gratuity. The difference between their cruise-only and AI prices is about £35 a day, so PAYG passengers , who also lose ability to choose cabin, start to lose out after only 4 drinks.

Celebrity is different where the differential between an inside cabin (no DP) and a balcony with free DP on an 8 day cruise is an amazing £900. There is no option for a balcony with no DP, so PAYG customers are limited to inside cabins.

So it appears for PAYG customers you need an almost bottomless pocket approach to pricing your cruise - fine if it suits you.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                  Dear Annie and Garfield,

as ever I have to clarify that my post was aimed at cruisers like me who enjoy a holiday without worrying about how much extra I am spending on what I see as essential - Coffees, waters, wine and spirits.

IMHO many cruisers like a drink and appreciate DPs for many reasons, but I accept there are those who prefer PAYG.

The good news for PAYG customers is that NCL have now gone back to offering cruises without a drinks package for those who do not drink a lot.

Unfortunately I see many lines now increasing their PAYG drinks prices to suggest their "free" or "inclusive" DP offers are worth many hundreds of pounds so PAYG cruisers are losing out both ways.

Just consider NCL where many drinks are priced at £8 to £10 plus gratuity. The difference between their cruise-only and AI prices is about £35 a day, so PAYG passengers , who also lose ability to choose cabin, start to lose out after only 4 drinks.

Celebrity is different where the differential between an inside cabin (no DP) and a balcony with free DP on an 8 day cruise is an amazing £900. There is no option for a balcony with no DP, so PAYG customers are limited to inside cabins.

So it appears for PAYG customers you need an almost bottomless pocket approach to pricing your cruise - fine if it suits you.

Cheers

Tony B
                  Hi Tony

On my last 2 cruises, I met many an American cruiser who does not drink alcohol often on medical grounds. On a trans-Pacific cruise I was asked by an Aussie to join her table in the MDR as she felt conspicuous because she was the only drinker at her table

I never ass-u-me that all cruisers drink alcohol. I have met many who do not touch a drop. The majority of my table mates at dinner did not drink.

Annie

PS I would check your numbers on Celebrity and I thought you could book a guarantee cabin on Celebrity that came without perks but that may have changed.
                  Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Dear Tony
                    I agreed with Annie as if you read up thread my partner very, very rarely drinks alcohol so a DP for me comes at £80 a day due to the policy of both in the cabin must purchase.
                    Cheaper to pay as I go.
                    We tend to spend every possible chance off the ship and mainly book port intensive cruises and only have a drink in the evening.
                    Hope that clears up any confusion.
                    Our next 4 cruises are either RCI or Celebrity and with our status we have use of the Diamond lounge for a while in the evenings.
                    Regards
                    Garfield
                    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 13th July 2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

You just have to accept that when you post about drink packages, half of the posts will be from teetotallers, singles or those warning you about the dangers of alcohol.
                      The other half can carry on killing ourselves, wasting our money and having fun

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                        You just have to accept that when you post about drink packages, half of the posts will be from teetotallers, singles or those warning you about the dangers of alcohol.
                        The other half can carry on killing ourselves, wasting our money and having fun
                        Behave

As a solo we are often penalised if we buy a fare which includes a DP. That doesn't mean I don't buy them!

Annie

Comment

Behave

As a solo we are often penalised if we buy a fare which includes a DP. That doesn't mean I don't buy them!

Annie
                          Thought you'd be watching the tennis, probably only another couple of hours left in this one (going for 25-23)

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                            Hi Tony
                            I agreed with Annie as if you read up thread my partner very, very rarely drinks alcohol so a DP for me comes at £80 a day due to the policy of both in the cabin must purchase.
                            Cheaper to pay as I go.
                            We tend to spend every possible chance off the ship and mainly book port intensive cruises and only have a drink in the evening.
                            Hope that clears up any confusion.
                            Our next 4 cruises are either RCI or Celebrity and with our status we have use of the Diamond lounge for a while in the evenings.
                            Regards
                            Garfield
                            You are not alone Garfie. A 3 hour free cocktail session most days on RCI is a nice perk.

Why do you think these repo cruises on Celebrity and RCI are popular with diamond/elite passengers

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                              Thought you'd be watching the tennis, probably only another couple of hours left in this one
                              I can multi-task

Imagine footballers having to play this length of match

Annie
                              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

You are not alone Garfie. A 3 hour free cocktail session most days on RCI is a nice perk.

Why do you think these repo cruises on Celebrity and RCI are popular with diamond/elite passengers

Annie
                                Met some woman on Magnifica earlier this year, Diamond on RCCL, status matched to Black on MSC then whinging there's no free cocktails, said she had never paid for an alcoholic drink in all her cruises. Was at the cruise critic whinge and whine with a glass of water from the buffet. Biggest moan was no free cocktail hours... Paid less than £150 inc flight for 2 nights... she'd probably have peeled an orange in her pocket

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X