• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL Getaway - repositioning cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCL Getaway - repositioning cruise

I hae now put a review of the October transatlantic on the main site, here is a link: http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie...review-117558/

I forgot to add one thing. I paid in advance for access to the thermal suite. This area has to be booked for the whole cruise. I thought it was worth it as we had a lot of sea days. My only criticism was that it wasn't as quiet and relaxing as I had hoped. More people used it during the first few days of the cruise. There was a reasonably large hydrotherapy pool and hot tub, which I used a lot. The other things were a sanarium, sauna, salt room and steam room. I used them all. The showers were fab as they were rainforest showers, so with bigger shower heads. There were plenty of padded sun loungers and a number of heated loungers. Unfortunately when it was busy people reserved the loungers. I found it easy to spend a couple of hours in there, drying off on the heated lounger and reading.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Oh no, I can't use the link .................................................. ...............................Carol

Comment

I will have to go on the old pc upstairs to read it. My iPad doesn't like this site, or this site doesn't like my iPad.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        Oh no, I can't use the link .................................................. ...............................Carol
        Me neither.
        Jill

Comment

Hope you don't mind Yogini, for those that can't get anywhere on here.

I had an enjoyable time on this repositioning cruise from Copenhagen to Miami. We weren't too lucky with the weather, but there was plenty to do on board.

I was in a studio cabin, with access to the studio lounge. The lounge is a good shared space for solo travellers, but it was a shame that solo travellers in other cabin types had difficulty in accessing the lounge. It was a slight irritation that the coffee machine was switched off some time during the night, I wake early and couldn't get a hot drink before 5 am. The studio host, Jose, was a fantastic crew member and organised meet ups daily as well as other things. I felt that he went above and beyond the call of duty.

The cabin was clean and comfortable.

I had sailed on NCL ships before, and had not been impressed with the food, especially the vegetarian options. I still hold that opinion, I've had better on the other cruise lines that I have sailed on. The service in the restaurant was generally too slow. For instance, I went to the MDR at 7.30 for breakfast and didn't leave until about 8.45. There were a few special buffet lunches in Moderno, my favourite was the Asian buffet. The buffet restaurant, Garden Cafe, was often very crowded, but the food was good. I particularly enjoyed the Asian section with stir fries or curries.

I believe that a high proportion of the passengers on board had a drinks package. I didn't find too much problem in getting a drink from a waiter or a bar. Sugarcane is a mojito bar, and my favourite was the raspberry mojito. I did try bloody mary in the morning, but it was a bit too spicy for me. My preference was for a mimosa. A friend asked for a bucks fizz, but it was lemon instead of orange - an American difference. There was a reasonable selection of wines included in the package. I found that what was included in the package a bit confusing. I checked on the package beforehand, and it appeared that the speciality coffee was included at mealtimes only. I asked for a latte at breakfast and was served a cup for the first few days. Later on a waiter informed me that it was not included. I checked with an officer and was told that some of the packages included coffee and some didn't - mine didn't.

I didn't see much of the shows, but I did see the main shows. Burn the Floor, a latin dance show, was fantastic. The Barricade Boys, a quarter of singers, were excellent. They met performing Les Miserables and featured a number of songs from the show. The Million Dollar quarter was also great entertainment - featuring the music of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis.

I took part in quite a lot of trivia quizzes, some of the questions were very tough but it made it more interesting.

I don't normally bother with the speciality restaurants, but I went to Teppanyaki with a group of friends. The food and entertaining chef was excellent, but I wouldn't do it again - I thought 34$ for a lot of veg was over-priced. The others who eat meat and fish probably got a better deal.

As it was a repositioning cruise there were few ports of call. Ponta Delgada was the first port after a few sea days. The next port was Bermuda, overnight, which was a change from the original itinerary. St Thomas and St Maarten were no longer available as ports of call following the hurricane.

We were caught in the tail end of tropical storm Philippe, we were due to dock at about 4 am but I could still feel the motion of the ocean when I got up. We were told that the port of Miami had been closed temporarily. We docked later, so the crew couldn't be cleared first. I was booked on an excursion with airport drop off, but we left later than planned, but that wasn't a problem.

All in all, I had a good cruise. That was more down to the company and new friendships than anything else. NCL is not my favourite cruise line, but I wouldn't say no to another cruise. If I do, then it would be in one of the bigger ships with the studio system.

Comment

Thanks andyn and A nice review to read....Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

Thank you so much Andyn, and thank you Yogini, I enjoyed your review. I think I had an over night stay on Getaway courtesy of cruise dot, other member will correct me if I'm wrong. If its the same ship, I did like it, but wasn't so keen on the food either ..........Carol

Comment

Thanks Andyn.

I've just seen that The Million Dollar Quartet is showing at Chichester Festival Theatre, so I'm pleased that I've seen it on board.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Great review Yogini. I did wonder if you would get caught in the Atlantic storms on the way over but it sounds like it was mostly okay.
                  Yes Carol, we had the overnight on Getaway a couple of years ago. I seem to remember the food wasn't that great then either but I thought getaway was quite a nice ship in the way she is laid out.
                  The link didn't work for me either so thanks Andyn.
                  BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X