• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balmoral refused entry to Bermuda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Balmoral refused entry to Bermuda

    Hi All

    Picked this up from Cruise Law News:

    Norovirus Outbreak Aboard the "Cursed Cruise Ship" Balmoral : Cruise Law News

    Annie

    #2
    The article makes interesting reading Annie.

    It highlights that although Balmoral may have had more than it's fair share of outbreaks, it isn't always the fault of the passengers.

    We experienced a red alert for a Norovirus outbreak on Boudicca during our recent Grand Voyage. It was nipped in the bud quite quickly and the general concensus of opinion was that the bug was picked up by a group of passengers who had eaten contaminated food whilst on an organised excursion in Cape Verde.

    I know that Norovirus strikes most cruise ships at some time or another but it isn't always down to passengers' poor hygiene it would seem.
    Jill

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
      The article makes interesting reading Annie.

      It highlights that although Balmoral may have had more than it's fair share of outbreaks, it isn't always the fault of the passengers.

      We experienced a red alert for a Norovirus outbreak on Boudicca during our recent Grand Voyage. It was nipped in the bud quite quickly and the general concensus of opinion was that the bug was picked up by a group of passengers who had eaten contaminated food whilst on an organised excursion in Cape Verde.

      I know that Norovirus strikes most cruise ships at some time or another but it isn't always down to passengers' poor hygiene it would seem.
      Hi Jill

      Who is alleged to have 'contaminated the food' ?

      Most corporate lawyers will advise their clients not to admit liability.

      After witnessing older British passengers pick up hot food from the buffet without using tongs, frankly nothing surprises me anymore - and yes I did say something

      Annie
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 30th April 2016, 06:45 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I told a member of staff that I had seen a woman picking up several bread buns and then putting them back. He immediately took the whole lot away. I have seen people mauling food in the buffet on lots of different ships. We don't usual eat in the buffet unless it is served by staff as on Oceania cruises. I expect the passengers doing this are the same ones who don't wash their hands after using he toilets. No wonder diseased spread on board when some passengers have no idea about hygiene.

        Comment


          #5
          Cookies used to be on a covered platter on the bar and I saw a little girl, with her grandmother handling several before she made up her mind. I politely explained that this was unacceptable, the grandmother seemed to think I was being over cautious . The bartender had not seen the incident, being busy serving others, but he removed the platter immediately I told him. Cookies are now behind the bar and are served on request. It's the little details that make a difference. It is important to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, for your own safety.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
            Cookies used to be on a covered platter on the bar and I saw a little girl, with her grandmother handling several before she made up her mind. I politely explained that this was unacceptable, the grandmother seemed to think I was being over cautious . The bartender had not seen the incident, being busy serving others, but he removed the platter immediately I told him. Cookies are now behind the bar and are served on request. It's the little details that make a difference. It is important to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, for your own safety.
            AHHH

            So THAT'S why the cookies are 'under the counter stuff' on Victoria. Makes sense. Many times I've sneaked into the Lido and whispered the magic passwords...'any cookies left please'... to the Lido counter staff and sneaked out again with my cookies wrapped in a napkin so I don't get mugged!

            Comment


              #7
              We all know that Norovirus spreads very easily.

              Good hand hygiene is the best way to minimise the risk of infection and that means washing your hands with soap and water for at least 30 seconds (try singing happy birthday to yourself) and that is a lot longer than most people either realise or in fact do.

              Additionally the virus is not killed by the ever present, if underused hand gels.

              It's easy to see how it spreads but very hard to stop, apparently the average person will contract the virus 5 times in their life, if that is the case I am still due 4 more!

              Comment


                #8
                there is always someone saying people don't wash their hands after using the toilet , who are these people, I have never ever seen anyone not washing their hands and if I did im afraid I would have to challenge them ,

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
                  there is always someone saying people don't wash their hands after using the toilet , who are these people, I have never ever seen anyone not washing their hands and if I did im afraid I would have to challenge them ,
                  Well I have witnessed it and I have said something.

                  Annie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Does it work if you wash your hands in cold water? On Ovation they had the wash sinks at the entrance to the buffet, but the water was often cold, the paper towels were annoying too, and just ripped to shreds as you tried to pull them out. We came out and then used the gel dispenser .................................................. ..............................Carol

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                      Does it work if you wash your hands in cold water? On Ovation they had the wash sinks at the entrance to the buffet, but the water was often cold, the paper towels were annoying too, and just ripped to shreds as you tried to pull them out. We came out and then used the gel dispenser .................................................. ..............................Carol
                      According to the CDC, cold water is as effective provided you follow the 20 second rule

                      When & How to Wash Your Hands | Handwashing | CDC

                      Annie

                      PS Gel dispensers are not as effective.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The key is to not infect yourself.

                        keep your hands away from your face, any food you will eat and any part of utensils that will contact the food.

                        Washing will reduce the risk if you forget.

                        I suspect it is very rare for food to be contaminated initially,

                        Buffet food can through poor handling of utensils and product
                        Plate stacks, condiments, tongs are susceptible as many people contact them.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I wash my hands frequently on board but also never use fingers to touch stair rails, lift buttons, door handles, etc. I have been on loads of ships with NV onboard and never had the slightest upset. I think being aware is half the battle
                          Cruising my way through life!

                          Sue

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I must be the luckiest person on a cruise ship!!!!
                            I think all these ideas about not handling anything, eating only in the MDR, and wiping the whole ship down with anti-bacterial wipes is a waste of time. I touch everything, lift buttons, stair rail, remote controls, door handles (excepting toilet door) and nearly every meal is in the buffet, yet have never had Norovirus or any stomach complaint on any ship. All I do is wash my hand properly and often.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Balmoral refused entry to Bermuda

                              I have sailed many times on the "Balmoral" without any significant outbreak of the plague unlike our local hospital and several schools. It's a Winter problem and can only be avoided by strict personal hygiene by passengers and staff.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X