• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr & MrsT on QE Gothenburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr & MrsT on QE Gothenburg

As with life the best laid plans go wrong and it did today .Gothenburg instead of the forecast weather we had high winds coming off the sea and you could hear it whistling round the ship as we boarded the shuttle.The trip into Gothenburg is a good 25 minutes by coach through a mainly industrial area.
    The drop off point is where they also run the Ho Ho bus service about 20 euros Per person they also have a little train tour. We were the second or third shuttle and people were going back to the ship.by this time the weather had got worse along with the cold wind we had quite heavy rain not a lot of fun.The streets are very wide with trams and bendy buses it has wide pavements, again like Copenhagen there are plenty of good quality shops which are decorated ready for Christmas .After a while we were both very wet and very cold and called it a day along with plenty of others we went back to the ship.The Volvo Museum is facing the ship and entry was a few Euros ideal for any petrol heads.
    Most meals we have had have been on an open seating basis and have met quite a few nice people some like us first timers and some seasoned Cunarders.The majority of first timers like us are impressed with the ship and staff. Many having some preconceived ideas about Cunard which overall have been kicked into touch.
    One man a single traveller we spoke to told us he only paid an additional £100 rather than the usual full room rate cruise lines charge perhaps a bit of reality is entering the market place.
    Another couple who are traveling with their young 13 month old daughter cannot praise the children’s or the staff enough ,it is free to use and is open into the night so parents can have their diner in peace,we heard the same story from an American couple who have two older children.
    Tried the Afternoon tea in the Queens room one of Cunard’s nice traditions finger sandwiches ,scones and cakes ,along with an endless supply very nice tea ,it is a very well attended event. After diner we watched David Copperfield very funny act which was well recived.
    A word of Warning Do Not use the Money Exchange shops in Copenhagen young couple told us they got charged 13% commission ,makes the ships rates seem reasonable.
    Oslo is our next stop not a good weather forecast ,and sunrise is 10-15 sunset about 4-40 …Taffy
    Ps sorry no pictures tried for 30 minutes yesterday it worked at home sadly not on the ship must try harder.
    ​Taffy

Thanks Taffy another breakfast read I remember rightly there Is a building here called the' lipstick' sorry the weather has taken a turn, but it seem the ship has plenty to offer, hopefully Oslo will be drier.CG
    sigpic

Comment

We had exactly the same experience in Gothenburg, horrendous weather and didn't get to see the best of it.

Good to read that you and other passengers are experiencing Cunard for themselves and making a positive judgement. I wouldn't have had Cunard as my first choice for children but it sounds as though they are offering an excellent service...Carol

Comment

Sorry to hear that the weather was so awful in Gothenburg so you didn't get to experience it at its best. The ship and its facilities seem to be wonderful and I am sure that you (and the other bloggers on Cunard cruises) have changed alot of peoples' preconception of this line.
        Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Thanks Taffy .

Taffy thank you for your posting. One thing I am not clear about. You write and I quote below.

Most meals we have had have been on an open seating basis and have met quite a few nice people some like us first timers and some seasoned Cunarders.

Are you in Britannia Club? If so that figures. If not the main dining room is not open sitting at dinner. You dine at allocated table either first or second sitting. Or have they changed the rules and not told me

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
            Taffy thank you for your posting. One thing I am not clear about. You write and I quote below.

Most meals we have had have been on an open seating basis and have met quite a few nice people some like us first timers and some seasoned Cunarders.

Are you in Britannia Club? If so that figures. If not the main dining room is not open sitting at dinner. You dine at allocated table either first or second sitting. Or have they changed the rules and not told me
            I didn't think MDR open seating for dinner featured on Cunard. One of the many plus points for us.

Comment

What a shame the weather is so awful, I hope it picks up a bit for you............................................... ......Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                I didn't think MDR open seating for dinner featured on Cunard. One of the many plus points for us.
                In the context of the post, I think Taffy was referring to lunch because Afternoon Tea followed. Shame about the weather but that gave you the consolation of Tea in the Queens Room.....HT

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X