• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 posh frocks needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 posh frocks needed?

I am booked on a 14 night Cunard cruise and read of the 4 formal nights, which is fine; I can manage 4 special occasions outfits but on closer look, there is elegant casual? semi-formal? and smart?

All you who have done 14 nights will know what to wear, but it seems to me that all evenings are the same. Am I right?

Originally posted by Elsie's Mum View Post
    I am booked on a 14 night Cunard cruise and read of the 4 formal nights, which is fine; I can manage 4 special occasions outfits but on closer look, there is elegant casual? semi-formal? and smart?

All you who have done 14 nights will know what to wear, but it seems to me that all evenings are the same. Am I right?
    You CAN take fourteen posh frocks if you want [and I know someone who would...no names here MM ] but mix'n match is the clue here if you don't want to. For a week's cruise on the Victoria, I took one 'gown', two long and the rest extremely smart trousers [yes, including white jeans] and tops which all teamed up together.I didn't wear them all.
    For two weeks, I'd probably just add another long dress or two.

Comment

I concur with Mrs M. My wife does a mix and match though she is not a 'jeans' person. There are loads of options and I'm sure you will look as good as the rest.

PS. there are usually more than 4 formal nights on a 14 nighter. Unless of course it is an intensive port call cruise.

We have 13 formal nights on our next 24 night Cunard Voyage.

What ever you choose, have a great time.
      Last edited by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent; 13th September 2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

hiya; check out the thread called "understanding the dress code" under the "cruise types and themes". i'd have to move house to fit 14 evening gowns in!
        just off to boundary mills to try and spot a bargain outfit for my next cruise.

Comment

Thank you to all of you. I am actually going to write this down and put it with my holiday info notes because when I start to panic again, nearer the date, I will refer to this.
          So kind of you all to reply.

Comment

glad to find another "lister"; i'm currently surrounded by bits of paper listing things to pack,things to buy and possible excursions and the cruise is three months away....is this a girl-thing?
            more worring..i am now starting to make lists about lists!

Comment

I mix and match as well. Don't forget if you have several jackets/shawls that will match your evening gown, you can save space and money that way. Don't forget a long skirt and a pair of trousers and have several tops that match both and hey presto more mix and match, and don't forget your dancing shoes. The Queens Room has a large dance floor. Have a great cruise.
              EDNA

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie's Mum View Post

One more thing Elsie's Mum...I don't buy for specific cruises any more because when you come to look, you can almost guarantee you won't find what you're looking for. Buy when you see, not necessarily when you need.
                A little black shrug, a classic black pashmina...cashmere/mix if poss. as it's a wonderful fabric for hot weather as well as cold because it seems to adapt to suit and as long as you look after it, will last a lifetime...or so I'm told! ...look in the sales, I did and got my shawl half price years ago and it's still the first thing I pack when I go anywhere.

Comment

Brilliant advice and I have "noted" it all. Thank you, again.

Comment

Some time ago I had started a thread - link http://www.cruises.co.uk/673-cruises...nderstand.html - precisely because it can all sound very confusing when deciding what clothes to pack.
                    Please ignore those posts saying that even the thickest of people should have the common sense to understand the brochures. The brochures do state the various dress codes but it still isn't that easy. Even something that should be obvious like 'cocktail dress' doesn't necessarily mean the same to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                      Some time ago I had started a thread - link http://www.cruises.co.uk/673-cruises...nderstand.html - precisely because it can all sound very confusing when deciding what clothes to pack.
                      Please ignore those posts saying that even the thickest of people should have the common sense to understand the brochures. The brochures do state the various dress codes but it still isn't that easy. Even something that should be obvious like 'cocktail dress' doesn't necessarily mean the same to everyone.
                      I agree Hat...it often means trousers for me!

Comment

Thank you Hat. It is many years since I have dressed up for anything. O googled cocktail wear and a lot of the dresses would be totally unsuitable for my size and shape. I have been to parties in posh hotels where the dress code was formal so ladies wore evening dresses, floor length and gentlemen wore dinner suits. These parties were preceeded by cocktails in an anti-room, but we were wearing evening dress.

Never have known what a cocktail dress is, but as someone suggested, long skirts and pretty tops will be acceptable. Are cocktail dresses shorter?

Comment

Elisie's mum Cocktail dresses are approx knee length.

for years even on formal nights I wore trousers. I still wear trousers most nights but on formal nights I now have several long dresses. I find long dresses so much more comfortable than knee length, as I don't have to wear tights!!
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I have never worn trousers, except jodphurs or similar and I certainly don't have the shape for them now. Knee length will not look good with my chubby knees, so mid and floor length it will have to be for me.

I really think that people only notice those who look stunning or perhaps someone who has totally ignored a dress code. I shall attempt to blend in as is my wont. Not easy at my size but I manage and am good at sloping off, well about as good as a rhino carrying a stick would be.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if we had the figure of Kate and Pippa Middleton. No need to camouflage certain areas. Just a strapless black mini dress or slinky long dress , high heels and we'd stun them all.
                              Don't worry Elsie's Mum the majority on this forum don't have a model's figure so you're not alone - few size 10's around.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X